Covid UK Prices

jon and michie

Visit site
Right - So Here's another food for thought on the current Boat Pricing and This is not meant to be political but more factual - And its to do with the Upcoming Budget and The Current party in charge of who taxed the most etc etc - So its likely the cost of living and all the other things will get taxed higher and go up - what's people's opinions in regards to boat prices dropping and or more boats coming onto the market as some folk will be thinking it maybe a costly toy and may want to downsize or get out of boating altogether until things (economy) get better

Momac

Visit site
Right - So Here's another food for thought on the current Boat Pricing and This is not meant to be political but more factual - And its to do with the Upcoming Budget and The Current party in charge of who taxed the most etc etc - So its likely the cost of living and all the other things will get taxed higher and go up - what's people's opinions in regards to boat prices dropping and or more boats coming onto the market as some folk will be thinking it maybe a costly toy and may want to downsize or get out of boating altogether until things (economy) get better
Lots of journalistic speculation recently.
It would be best to wait until after the budget which is only a week away.

oldgit

Visit site
Reality is finally creeping back into the market.
Aware of boats that were put on the market with brokers with the instruction "If I can get this amount might sell it".

One nice boat should have gone very quickly simply on condition and scarcity alone , another , atypical heavyweight midrange fly built when Red diesel was more or less free and engine efficency was a word never heard, remains unviewed.
One boat has already had a 10% reduction and still no viewers.

There is a vast rump of shall we say older boats less suitable to meet todays demands regards fuel efficiancy and running/ mooring costs .
The numbers of those who once might have been able or prepared to consider buying these boats at any price is declining and will never return.
Any here today and gone tomorrow budget is highly unlikely to affect this particular market.
The top end usually pay cash and care little, if you are thinking about buying a boat , common sense has long flown the nest :).. the bottom of market are not buying 3 or 4 decade old flys with 600HP engines and then having to find £6K to keep it in a marina ?

Not dissimilar when in the 1970s everything changed and the car world had to adjust accordingly.
No one wanted that old V12 Jaguar or V8 Jenson and the market had to adjust accordingly.
Your Jensen/Jaguar cost nothing to languish your garage.

Last edited:

Dino

Visit site
I think Brexit wiped out the external market 100%. Lots of older UK Princess, Fairline and especially Brooms used to end up in Ireland and in some cases the Med as liveaboards. Many ended up on European waterways too. After Brexit kicked in, one friend who worked in a marina in Ireland told me that he loaded a small racing yacht and a large Galeon flybridge cruiser in one week and they were both going to Sweden. The buyers were separate but both usually bought boats in the UK.

oldgit

Visit site
I think Brexit wiped out the external market 100%. Lots of older UK Princess, Fairline and especially Brooms used to end up in Ireland and in some cases the Med as liveaboards. Many ended up on European waterways too. After Brexit kicked in, one friend who worked in a marina in Ireland told me that he loaded a small racing yacht and a large Galeon flybridge cruiser in one week and they were both going to Sweden. The buyers were separate but both usually bought boats in the UK.
Added 20% to the cost of selling/ buying any boat between EU and UK , personally aware of one sale that came to a grinding halt when buyer had made his offer, which was accepted, buyer then made aware he would be charged a further 20% to export the boat into Eire.
A minor taking back control matter of £16.000 pounds.
His request for a reduction of this amount on the sale price was politely denied. :)
The best the forum could offer was several legally dubious and possibly not legal ways of secretly importing the boat via NI.

There were many examples of particular vessel on sale in both France and Spain that would have been of interest to me at a time when COVID had seriously disrupted the UK boat market, virtually all of the boats on offer in the EU offered extremely good value for money even after adding a trip or two to view and cost of bringing the boat back to UK.
Brexit certainly restricted the number of boats which could be considered as possible purchases for UK buyers and almost certainly contributed to the prices achieved in UK mainly due to the lack of choice on the rather limited UK market ?

Dino

Visit site
It’s more like 33%. 23% VAT plus 10% duty.
There’s also extra charges on the transport.
That’s why I went to Mallorca to buy my Broom Ocean 38.

Added 20% to the cost of selling/ buying any boat between EU and UK , personally aware of one sale that came to a grinding halt when buyer had made his offer, which was accepted, buyer then made aware he would be charged a further 20% to export the boat into Eire.
A minor taking back control matter of £16.000 pounds.
His request for a reduction of this amount on the sale price was politely denied. :)
The best the forum could offer was several legally dubious and possibly not legal ways of secretly importing the boat via NI.

There were many examples of particular vessel on sale in both France and Spain that would have been of interest to me at a time when COVID had seriously disrupted the UK boat market, virtually all of the boats on offer in the EU offered extremely good value for money even after adding a trip or two to view and cost of bringing the boat back to UK.
Brexit certainly restricted the number of boats which could be considered as possible purchases for UK buyers and almost certainly contributed to the prices achieved in UK mainly due to the lack of choice on the rather limited UK market ?

Momac

Visit site
Ah!
You have to look at the positives.
For example, we now have the freedom to have bottles with detachable tops, unlike the EU who now have to drink with a top sticking into your cheek.
Give me time I’ll think of another positive
View attachment 184643
I had a bottle like that yesterday . We might have the freedom but we don't seem to use it.
Maybe they are to discourage drinking from the bottle?

kashurst

Visit site
So how does that work when the bottle or carton is different material to the top?
The reason the screw on tops are now attached is to make sure the tops get recycled. Too many idiots chuck the screw cap.
The caps I have seen are attached at two points. On some designs this keeps the cap too close to the bottle. If one of the connection points is snapped (twist it) the cap hangs free but doesn't fall off.

Boat2016

Visit site
Ah!
You have to look at the positives.
For example, we now have the freedom to have bottles with detachable tops, unlike the EU who now have to drink with a top sticking into your cheek.
Give me time I’ll think of another positive
View attachment 184643
First thing I do with any bottle like that is detach the lid, never have I seen such a ridiculous idea but guess it created another non job for someone.