Coppercoat – The Complete Process

Hurricane

Visit site
JW is a young boat so it may surprise you that this year we opted for Coppercoat rather than traditional antifoul. Last year, we discovered that a previous antifoul paint had failed leaving a sticky coating difficult to remove so I spent the season researching a solution. In order to get the hull back to a good smooth finish, all the old antifoul had to be removed so I spent last season researching all the options. I’ve always considered Coppercoat as an alternative but ruled it out because it requires all previous antifoul to be removed. So, after long research, I decided that we should strip the old antifoul and apply Coppercoat.

There are several options to removing the old antifoul. Hand removal was out of the question – too expensive and difficult to remove in tight spaces. I chose slurry blasting rather than dry sand blasting. I’ve seen some boats dry blasted and the result is good but IMO the process is too aggressive. I was told by several people that the wet slurry processes used will remove all the antifoul without damaging the underlying gelcoat. This, indeed, was the case. For example I inspected a boat that had been dry sand blasted and there was a distinct ridge at the waterline where the antifoul meets the exposed gelcoat. The ridge was due to the sand blasting process removing a small layer of gelcoat as well as the antifoul. This ridge is not evident when slurry processes are used. In our case, I found that the removal process using the “slurry blasting” technique was just as promised. Amazingly it removes just the paint – nothing else. Even around plastic fittings, the paint is removed without damaging the plastic. I have also seen some excellent cases of dry sandblasting but I just didn’t want to take the risk.

So, here are some pics showing the removal process.

To save time and money, four boats were treated at the same time.
Two sailboats and two mobos.
The sailboat on the right in this pic was to have its antifoul removed after JW.

DSC04805_Small.jpg

This pic shows the actual removal.
In comparison with other methods, it is a comparatively clean process.
All the slurry is contained within the enclosed space.
Dry sand processes tend to leak out and cover the whole boatyard.

DSC04810_Small.jpg

The slurry does stick to the hull in places but once it has dried it can be simply brushed off with a hand brush.

DSC04814_Small.jpg

The process removes the old antifoul paint from the most difficult of places. This pic shows dust in the thruster tunnel – no damage to the hull at all.

DSC04815_Small.jpg

DSC04817_Small.jpg

Even the metalwork can be initially cleaned up using the process.

DSC04826_Small.jpg

DSC04828_Small.jpg

Note the blasting nozzle on the floor in this pic.

DSC04821_Small.jpg

This pic shows just how gentle the process is. Once brushed off, the gelcoat and all the mouldings are intact. Imagine trying to do that manually with sandpaper?

DSC04836_Small.jpg

When finished, the site is left for the slurry to dry. The boat is then brushed with a soft hand brush and the waste swept up.

DSC04838_Small.jpg

Props ready for polishing.

DSC04840_Small.jpg

Then, after a bit of final preparation and masking, the application of the Coppercoat itself. Coppercoat is usually applied in 4 coats. All the coats HAVE to be applied immediately after each other. You can’t do a bit and leave it for a day. So JW was split into to halves. The port side was done in one day and the starboard the following day. Metal parts were primed with a special Coppercoat supplied primer. We had slightly over ordered the Coppercoat so an extra coat was added to the waterline area.

DSC04843_Small.jpg

DSC04847Medium.jpg

Four other boats were being treated at the same time so it was convenient to paint patches 3 days earlier and then lift the boat onto dry and cured patches. Note that the blocks on the bottom were moved onto finished patches at the same time.

DSC04844_Small.jpg

Once applied, the Coppercoat was left for several days to cure.

DSC04853_Small.jpg

In the meantime, we masked and repainted the waterline.

DSC04864_Small.jpg

And refitted the thrusters and trim tabs etc.

DSC04859_Small.jpg

And did the props – DON’T ASK – It’s an experiment!!!

DSC04861_Small.jpg

And here’s the final result – just prior to relaunch.

DSC04885_Small.jpg

DSC04879Medium.jpg

Hope this post is interesting.
I also did my research on Coppercoat in the Med.
Every case that I looked into was a success.
Let’s hope this one is as well.

sarabande

Visit site
done with typical Hurricane attention to detail. Thanks, very transferable knowledge.

Any info on the ambient temperatures please?

Hurricane

Visit site
Any info on the ambient temperatures please?

Yep - I was quite worried but in fact we had daytime temps in the mid teens so all was ok.
I believe that anything over 5 degrees is recommended.

The big no no is that there must be absolutely no water during the application.
So no rain or condensation.
The contractor who did the job made up some drip strips using tape which he put above and along the waterline to direct condensation away from the hull. Not so much an issue with mobos but really effective on the sailboats.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
We too have had coppercoat applied as well as propshield on the props (prop-erly :D) along with having the boat extended 2' & rearranging part of the dash. I will post some pics later & perhaps we can compare results from the east coast next year.

MapisM

Visit site
Impressive job, all the best for a very effective and long lasting result.
Just a couple of Qs:

Did this guy breath from a tank, or was he just swept up at the end of his job, together with the other waste? :D
DSC04810_Small.jpg

Any reason for not making the thrusters props?
DSC04859_Small.jpg

epervier

Visit site
Mike, if my experience is anything to go by, you shouldn't regret the expense of coppercoat, I found it an excellent product, it's the initial cost that takes your breath away,but after the first couple of seasons all I found was the odd persistent barnacle or three, that find a place to settle where the copper isn't and slime which jet washes off.

same old disclaimer, haven't got shares in, or commission payments from Coppercoat etc.
just found that it works.

Hurricane

Visit site
Did this guy breath from a tank, or was he just swept up at the end of his job, together with the other waste? :D
DSC04810_Small.jpg

They had an industrial jacket with a helmet "built in" conaining a separate air supply.

Any reason for not making the thrusters props?
DSC04859_Small.jpg

Actually - I didint think about it in time.
So I didnt bother to make up a Coppercoat mix - just for the thruster props.
The actual thruster props have always been easy to clean up.
I take your point though - may next time we are out of the water.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Mike

Did they abrade the surface of the Coppercoat before it went back in the water? I think its essential to do that to expose the copper. I was quite dissapointed with my Copercoat the first year, but then it was sanded before going back in and the results were much better in the second year.

Hurricane

Visit site
Mike

Did they abrade the surface of the Coppercoat before it went back in the water? I think its essential to do that to expose the copper. I was quite dissapointed with my Copercoat the first year, but then it was sanded before going back in and the results were much better in the second year.

Yep - only lightly though.
They say it only needs reabrading every 3 years but I've heard some say every year - we'll see.

I seem to remember that it was your Windy (in the UK) that was Coppercoated.
I'm sure that things are very different between the UK and the Med and Coppercoat also behaves differently.

From my experience its mainly weed in the UK whilst barnacles in the Med.

Elessar

Visit site
They say it only needs reabrading every 3 years but I've heard some say every year - we'll see.

Abrade before first launch - 500 grit or scotchbright - then worry about something else.
Consider abrading after 5+ years if performance drops off.
1st year performance is always worse with coppercoat it takes a few months to get to full strength, traditional anti-foul only takes a week.
A hard abrade takes you back to year 1 performance AND wears away your coppercoat unnecessarily.
BTW, have you a like for like, clean bum WOT speed you can compare?

Hurricane

Visit site
BTW, have you a like for like, clean bum WOT speed you can compare?

Not really - I dont do WOT much - the MTU management displays 240 litres per hour per engine!!!

However, I do a lot of cruising at 24.5 knots - that relates to an engine speed of 2020 RPM.
I was hoping to see a difference here.

However there are other changes that would cloud any increased performance with the Coppercoat.
I've cleaned and polished those Props - then applied Propshield and Lanoguard (plain lanolin).
I expect the Propshield and Lanoguard to wash off almost immediatly but I'm hoping that a small layer may stay.
At SC we get very cheap lift and scrubs.
My theory is that the pressure washer will ba able to remove all barnacles from the Propshield/Lanoguard and give me a much cleaner prop than previous years when we have used primers and antifouls on the props. Although primers and antifouls work for a while, when they eventually break down they leave the prop much rougher than if it had nothing at all.
The Lanolin experiment is to compare expensive Propshield against cheap Lanoguard.

In our first year, we had nothing on the props and a clean bum - 25 knots was the norm at the same engine speed of 2020 RPM.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com

I seem to remember that it was your Windy (in the UK) that was Coppercoated.
I'm sure that things are very different between the UK and the Med and Coppercoat also behaves differently.

From my experience its mainly weed in the UK whilst barnacles in the Med.

Yeh, I think it only needs lightly sanding. The product, as you know, is virtually pure coper dust in a water based epoxy, and I think when it's applied most of the surface of the copper dust is covered with a film of epoxy. That's why it needs sanding when it's first done. I didn't do that (didn't know you were supposed to) which I think explains my poor results in year 1.

I'll be very interested to hear how it goes in the med.

Elessar

Visit site
Not really - I dont do WOT much - the MTU management displays 240 litres per hour per engine!!!

However, I do a lot of cruising at 24.5 knots - that relates to an engine speed of 2020 RPM.
I was hoping to see a difference here.

However there are other changes that would cloud any increased performance with the Coppercoat.
I've cleaned and polished those Props - then applied Propshield and Lanoguard (plain lanolin).
I expect the Propshield and Lanoguard to wash off almost immediatly but I'm hoping that a small layer may stay.
At SC we get very cheap lift and scrubs.
My theory is that the pressure washer will ba able to remove all barnacles from the Propshield/Lanoguard and give me a much cleaner prop than previous years when we have used primers and antifouls on the props. Although primers and antifouls work for a while, when they eventually break down they leave the prop much rougher than if it had nothing at all.
The Lanolin experiment is to compare expensive Propshield against cheap Lanoguard.

In our first year, we had nothing on the props and a clean bum - 25 knots was the norm at the same engine speed of 2020 RPM.

Interested in the 2020 rpm speed and consumption figures then. Accept the prop treatment may help but I'm expecting you'll see an improvement because of the coppercoat as the sunseeker test boat in MBY did.
The boat may be heavier now though, all those lockers......
Let us know anyway :)

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site
Yeh, I think it only needs lightly sanding. The product, as you know, is virtually pure coper dust in a water based epoxy, and I think when it's applied most of the surface of the copper dust is covered with a film of epoxy. That's why it needs sanding when it's first done. I didn't do that (didn't know you were supposed to) which I think explains my poor results in year 1.

I'll be very interested to hear how it goes in the med.

absolutely right. Furthermore if slime grows before the cuprous oxide starts to develop, the slime seals the copper and slows the corrosion making matters worse.

rubberduck

Mmmm, I will make sure mine is sanded slightly b4 going back in, didn't know that. Also how many coats of propshield is that, we use it every year with great results but must be applied properly unlike last year by the marina I no longer frequent. Just that ours are a lot pinker, no metal showing through at all, 2 or 3 coats I believe,

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Mmmm, I will make sure mine is sanded slightly b4 going back in, didn't know that. Also how many coats of propshield is that, we use it every year with great results but must be applied properly unlike last year by the marina I no longer frequent. Just that ours are a lot pinker, no metal showing through at all, 2 or 3 coats I believe,

I used the Industrial Propshield.
Polished the first coat on/in.
Then just applied a second coat.

The Industrial stuff is much lighter than the ordinary stuff.
You can apply with a cloth and it doesnt need heating.
I'm not saying it will work but thats what I did.

We tend to do fairly long runs and at full planing speed when anything on the props "rubs off".
So, I was more interested in "rubbing in" the first coat rather than splashing on further coats.

Anyway, I dont expect it to work but it would be nice if it made it easier to pressure wash the props during our cheap lifts throughout the season.

rubberduck

Didn't know Propshield was used on an industrial level, interesting. We have had far better results with the off the chandlers shelf stuff than the conventional paint treatments we were sold when we first started boating, about 6 years ago now. Still learning but getting there slowly :)

Hurricane

Visit site
Didn't know Propshield was used on an industrial level, interesting. We have had far better results with the off the chandlers shelf stuff than the conventional paint treatments we were sold when we first started boating, about 6 years ago now. Still learning but getting there slowly :)

Have a look at the Propshield website - there are links between the two products.
I first thought that it was the same product - just packaged in larger/smaller quantities.

But the two are different in consistancy.
I suspect that the industrial one that I bought isn't going to be as good as the one you are using. Being more solid, I suspect that the one you are using will stay longer on the props.
However, the industrial one was a "doddle" to apply - I believe that the DIY version is a pig to put on - especially in colder weather.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
..Furthermore if slime grows before the cuprous oxide starts to develop, the slime seals the copper and slows the corrosion making matters worse.

So wouldn't it make sense to oxidise the copper after abrading and before launching? Would something like white vinegar applied with an emulsion roller do the trick? (I've forgotten more chemistry that I ever learned)