Competent Crew?

Paddy Fields

Visit site
Hi

I usually sail one of those boats with a mast and sail, so am a bit clueless about motor boating.

A friend of mine wants to get a day skipper ticket on a motor cruiser. Assuming RYA course, can you jump straight into the day skipper course, or is there an equivalent of competent crew for motor boats?

Similar question - if I have a day skipper sailing, is it easy to get a conversion course to get a day skipper motor boat?

Thanks

Dan

TheCoach

Visit site
I did my day skipper with no prior qualifications, and did PB2 many years later. Would probably do it the other way round if starting again.

I wasn't aware day skipper was any different for sail or power....? But I could be wrong.

Cheers
TC

Sneds

Visit site
Day skipper is the same for sail and power
Mind you, put me on a sail boat and I wouldn’t have a clue, would love to give it a try though!
Neighbour keeps offering, must take him up on it!

Paddy Fields

Visit site
Day skipper is the same for sail and power
Mind you, put me on a sail boat and I wouldn’t have a clue, would love to give it a try though!
Neighbour keeps offering, must take him up on it!

Clearly a lot of similarities, but not so sure they are the same on paper, nor in practice. Besides, my day skipper ticket says "sailing" on it quite clearly. My corresponding ICC has no restrictions for sailing boats, but restricts me to 10m motor boats.

JSpalding

Visit site
The motor equivalent of Comp Crew is the Helmsman's Course.
The Day Skipper Theory is then the same for both, and the Day Skipper Practical is different for sail and power but both are called day skipper.
The Day Skipper Motor course is actually a day shorter than the Day Skipper Sail.
They had a good diagram on this article :https://blog.ardent-training.com/how-to-get-qualified-with-sailing-courses/

I don't think you can convert between them but have to take the practical course in its entirety.

Paddy Fields

Visit site
The motor equivalent of Comp Crew is the Helmsman's Course.
They had a good diagram on this article :https://blog.ardent-training.com/how-to-get-qualified-with-sailing-courses/

That makes sense, especially the diagram.

The Day Skipper Motor course is actually a day shorter than the Day Skipper Sail.
I don't think you can convert between them but have to take the practical course in its entirety.

I enjoy learning from a knowledgeable instructor, so doing the entire course won't be a problem for me.

Where do you learn stuff like crabbing sideways (or what ever it is called) with twin motors? Helmsman or DS? That stuff is new to me. Must be other stuff that is novel as well.

Im guessing other close quarter manoeuvring (picking up a buoy, anchoring) will be the same, but not necessarily MOB.

gordmac

Visit site
Would close quarter manoeuvring in a sailboat not be quite different as presumably you would be sailing? Even under engine I would imagine the big dangly bit would make a sailboat rather less likely to be moved by the wind?

JSpalding

Visit site
Where do you learn stuff like crabbing sideways (or what ever it is called) with twin motors? Helmsman or DS? That stuff is new to me. Must be other stuff that is novel as well.

Im guessing other close quarter manoeuvring (picking up a buoy, anchoring) will be the same, but not necessarily MOB.

I think all those close quarter manoeuvring would be covered in the DS rather than the Helmsman's. If the Helmsman's is the equivalent of Comp Crew then I would expect it to just be helming a straight course, what the different parts of a boat a called, and how to tie the mooring lines up etc...

All manoeuvres on a sailboat will be different to a motor boat to a certain extent. Same manoeuvre but using a different tool. They turn differently, stop differently, react to the wind and tide differently. Also, on sailing courses, picking up moorings and MOBs will also be practiced under sail (no engine).

Paddy Fields

Visit site
I think all those close quarter manoeuvring would be covered in the DS rather than the Helmsman's. If the Helmsman's is the equivalent of Comp Crew then I would expect it to just be helming a straight course, what the different parts of a boat a called, and how to tie the mooring lines up etc...
I have enough of a clue to ask a few schools about this now.

All manoeuvres on a sailboat will be different to a motor boat to a certain extent. Same manoeuvre but using a different tool. They turn differently, stop differently, react to the wind and tide differently. Also, on sailing courses, picking up moorings and MOBs will also be practiced under sail (no engine).

Yes they handling is different, but you still pick up a buoy heading into current/ wind under power. Doing it under sail is yacht master syllabus, I believe.

MOB is under power, with methods to get the sails under control (furled, sheeted in to centre, hoved to, scanalised, etc)

JSpalding

Visit site
Looking in my logbook, book picking up a mooring and anchoring under sail are in the day skipper syllabus:
1637689626856.png
Also, whilst we were taught that MOB is primarily always done under power, we were also told how to do it under sail should the engine not be an option.

Hope this is useful.

Other threads that may be of interest