Civil servant working on a Sunday.

srm

Visit site
The world seems to have changed quite drastically of late.

I sold my boat (UK part one registered) to an EU citizen. Emailed the UK ship register to ask if I really needed to return the certificate of registry to cancel the registration (as stated on the certificate). A couple of days later I got a reply stating what forms I needed to send, and that they had to be completed and signed by hand, but could then be returned by email.

Last Friday I sent an email with .jpg files of all the required paperwork. Monday morning I had an email starting "Good afternoon". When I read the attached "Closed Transcript of Registry" the boat had been remover from the UK register at 15.50 on the Sunday.

Poignard

Visit site
Did you have any problems selling your UK registered boat to an EU citizen?

I ask because my UK registered boat is in France, where she has been for the last 9 years, and I hope to sell her there.

I am thinking of things like your buyer's liability for EU VAT and whether he had any problems with RCD requirements.

srm

Visit site
Did you have any problems selling your UK registered boat to an EU citizen?

I ask because my UK registered boat is in France, where she has been for the last 9 years, and I hope to sell her there.

I am thinking of things like your buyer's liability for EU VAT and whether he had any problems with RCD requirements.
She was offered at a near "give away" price as, although sound and with all gear and spares, has been obviously neglected for the last three years or so due to serious health problems. I then gave the buyer a discount that will cover most of any IVA liability on the asking price. However, local customs know the boat and accepted that there is no tax liability due to having been in Azores on B day. I did get an email confirmation regarding being EU goods in free circulation from Customs head office in Lisbon that I then showed the local officers as they had been charging tax on UK boats.

The new owner is putting the boat on the Polish register (to avoid Portuguese regulations) and the fact that she predates the RCD looks as if it will not be a problem. This is being handled by a German yachtsman/surveyor who is resident on the island and has done a few other similar transfers. I used a standard UK Bill of Sale as its required to remove the boat from the UK Register. But then had to sign a sale contract with the buyer in front of a Notary, this contract had a survey and other documents to identify the boat included as an appendix to satisfy the Polish register.

So far so good, but it is possible local officials may look into it when they become aware of the sale.

Poignard

Visit site
She was offered at a near "give away" price as, although sound and with all gear and spares, has been obviously neglected for the last three years or so due to serious health problems. I then gave the buyer a discount that will cover most of any IVA liability on the asking price. However, local customs know the boat and accepted that there is no tax liability due to having been in Azores on B day. I did get an email confirmation regarding being EU goods in free circulation from Customs head office in Lisbon that I then showed the local officers as they had been charging tax on UK boats.

The new owner is putting the boat on the Polish register (to avoid Portuguese regulations) and the fact that she predates the RCD looks as if it will not be a problem. This is being handled by a German yachtsman/surveyor who is resident on the island and has done a few other similar transfers. I used a standard UK Bill of Sale as its required to remove the boat from the UK Register. But then had to sign a sale contract with the buyer in front of a Notary, this contract had a survey and other documents to identify the boat included as an appendix to satisfy the Polish register.

So far so good, but it is possible local officials may look into it when they become aware of the sale.
That's very encouraging, especially the bit about your boat pre- dating RCD, which mine does.

Many thanks.

Reactions: srm

srm

Visit site
That's very encouraging, especially the bit about your boat pre- dating RCD, which mine does.

Many thanks.
I thought she might be from a pic you posted a while back.

It was interesting the number of people who encouraged the new owner to buy. They described her as a strong go anywhere boat with all he would need. But then we are in a marina frequented by long distance sailors and AWBs are in a minority.

JayDomK

Visit site
The world seems to have changed quite drastically of late.

I sold my boat (UK part one registered) to an EU citizen. Emailed the UK ship register to ask if I really needed to return the certificate of registry to cancel the registration (as stated on the certificate). A couple of days later I got a reply stating what forms I needed to send, and that they had to be completed and signed by hand, but could then be returned by email.

Last Friday I sent an email with .jpg files of all the required paperwork. Monday morning I had an email starting "Good afternoon". When I read the attached "Closed Transcript of Registry" the boat had been remover from the UK register at 15.50 on the Sunday.
When you need them on a weekday, you won't find them. Because they're working on Sunday :D
But it's done. There's no reason to worry.

srm

Visit site
There's no reason to worry.
Not worried, just surprised as a) it was routine clerical work and b) past experience pre Covid of a different department refusing to handle an enquiry two minutes before official opening to public - they lifted the phone then laid it on the desk.

JayDomK

Visit site
Not worried, just surprised as a) it was routine clerical work and b) past experience pre Covid of a different department refusing to handle an enquiry two minutes before official opening to public - they lifted the phone then laid it on the desk.
Maybe you got a young employee who is still full of vigor and energy. That's why he can work on weekends too.

Reactions: srm