checking yachtmaster cert

rogerdog

www.bristolchannel.co.uk
Just wondering if there is a way to check if someone is a Yachtmaster without seeing the cert ??(too far to travel and photocopies have been forged in the past - the "facebook" episode) Something like the CORGI gas fitter validation database

Sheff

Visit site
Not 100% sure but seem to remember reading that even the RYA doesn't have a database it can check.

I think it was a warning in the RYA log book about losing the certificate. Log book is on the boat so can't confirm.

theforeman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not 100% sure but seem to remember reading that even the RYA doesn't have a database it can check.

I think it was a warning in the RYA log book about losing the certificate. Log book is on the boat so can't confirm.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that just applies to course completion certificates.
since the yachtmaster qualification panel "reserves the right to withdraw certificates at any time if cause is shown" i would imagine that rya keeps a record of who holds the qualification.
whether it is available for public inspection in these data protected days is another question.

dt4134

Visit site
I suspect that sailing school principles are able to check the database.

Failing that just ask them a few awkward questions and take them sailing for a day.