Cheaper Binoculars with compass - worth it?

Mrstarskydean

Visit site
I've little doubt that binoculars with a compass in the £400 range are better, but my budget is more like £100, and there are plenty around that price. The question is, are they worth it?

pvb

Visit site
Prices have tumbled in recent years, and quality has improved. The main consideration is how waterproof they might be in real-life use. If they're going to get all steamed up as soon as they get a whiff of sea air, they're a waste of money. Probably need to rely on reviews, or trust the judgement of a decent retailer.

I have Steiner Commanders, bought 40+ years ago. At the time, they cost about the same as a small bungalow, but they have been - and remain - fantastic binoculars. I rarely use the compass function now as plotter/AIS/radar give so much information which wasn't around 40 years ago. Depending on what electronics you have available, you might decide against a compass.

Stemar

Visit site
I've had a pair of Fujinons for years. Can't remember how much I paid, but they didn't break the bank - and my bank is pretty fragile. All I can say is they do exactly what they're supposed to. I have a vague recollection of them being a yottie comic recommendation.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I bought the 7x50s from Gael Force Marine for about £99 a couple of years ago and would certainly recommend them, the image is bright and clear, haven't tested their float ability yet but they are certainly good value for money.

Last edited:

Slowboat35

Visit site
Never did understand the desire for bins with a compass built in.
All you're ever likely to get with a mishmash like that is inferior performance from both.

Firstly you do not need the 'accuracy' you might imagine a compass in a binocular might provide. A hand bearing compass is perfectly adequate and it is likely that with much, even any movement of the boat the built-in compass would be hard to read, if readable at all.

I'd strongly suggest you spend as much as you can afford on a decent pair of bins with an objective lens of 40mm utter minimum, no more than 7x mag , plus a half decent hand bearing compass.
The combination is likely to seriously outperform any cobbled-together bundle that's neither fish nor fowl.

ithet

Visit site
I have a pair of the heavy rubberised ones that appear in various guises (mine are actually from Aldi about 12years ago) they are OK as simple bins and the bearing ability was very useful, but the compass no longer rotates. Also the rubber grip went sticky and had to be cleaned off with alcohol.

RJJ

Visit site
All you're ever likely to get with a mishmash like that is inferior performance from both.

Firstly you do not need the 'accuracy' you might imagine a compass in a binocular might provide. A hand bearing compass is perfectly adequate and it is likely that with much, even any movement of the boat the built-in compass would be hard to read, if readable at all.

I'd strongly suggest you spend as much as you can afford on a decent pair of bins with an objective lens of 40mm utter minimum, no more than 7x mag , plus a half decent hand bearing compass.
The combination is likely to seriously outperform any cobbled-together bundle that's neither fish nor fowl.

I have the Seago monocular with inbuilt compass. The monocular is handy to keep stuffed down your jacket on watch. For taking a bearing, it's far superior to any compass I have ever used.

I am also tempted by the cheaper end of the 7x50s. I am a fan of Force 4 but you can get the same binos on eBay for around 60-70 quid, minus branding.

Alfie168

Visit site
I bought a fixed focus set from Aldi for £50 with a compass in about 14 years ago. They are obviously cheap chinese. The lenses are still good, but the rubber has gone a bit 'sticky' as the plasticiser has leached (remove with white spirit I gather). The compass gave up the ghost about four years ago and I'm not aware of an alternative compass capsule that will fit. Shame really.
These look the same as mine in a different colourway with different branding...but same kit

Binoculars,10X50 Bak4 Sightseeing compass Binoculars,travel professional | eBay

I'd suggest that if having a compass incorporated is particularly important to you that you ask if replacement compass capsules are available. I have no idea if they will be but suspect it will only be at the pricier end of the market that spares are available

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

Used mine on my yacht master x marks the spot exercises and got within a couple of boat lengths every time. Excellent 7x50 bins and once you get used to it, very accurate bearings. Much better than ever required for visual bearing fixes.

Alfie168

Visit site
I have a pair of the heavy rubberised ones that appear in various guises (mine are actually from Aldi about 12years ago) they are OK as simple bins and the bearing ability was very useful, but the compass no longer rotates. Also the rubber grip went sticky and had to be cleaned off with alcohol.

There is an echo in the house..... :LOL: ?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Once again you chaps come up trumps with sound advice. I will give the Seago

Seago Waterproof Monocular With Built In Compass

.... a close look, otherwise taking my chances with the budget end. I note the there is thread on here regarding repairs to cheap bins, so perhaps this is not a bad option after all.....
I'v also got a MINOX MD 7 x 42 C monocular but don't get on with it. The bins are much much better.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I have a pair of Bynolyt Searangers, which are supposedly quite good, but I'm always jealous of those with a slide rule.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Once again you chaps come up trumps with sound advice. I will give the Seago

Seago Waterproof Monocular With Built In Compass

.... a close look, otherwise taking my chances with the budget end. I note the there is thread on here regarding repairs to cheap bins, so perhaps this is not a bad option after all.....
They'll be fine. I went in the £400 plus direction, and have tried several of the cheaper ones, which definitely aren't four times worse.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I have the Seago monocular with inbuilt compass. The monocular is handy to keep stuffed down your jacket on watch.

I bought the same a year or two ago (they are sold with a couple of different brand names, I seem to recall) and pleased with it. In addition to the compass there is also a gauge for judging distance if you know height, and vice versa. As I'm blind in one eye half of any pair of binoculars is just surplus weight and bulk for me anyway.

The monocular replaced an old pair of 7 x 50 binos bought cheap from 'Axminster Power Tools and Chandlery' about 1991, that eventually went very sticky. They weren't particularly high quality, but gave adequate service for well over 25 years, so I certainly had my money's worth. (And I still have them at home for occasional use!)

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
I do wonder why people who have no experience of something think they have a valid opinion on it ?? I have a cheap pair of compass bins from somewhere and they have given great service for years. I often need to get a bearing on another boat that is anchored a mile or two away and this perfect, it is accurate to a couple of degrees which I have never achieved with my various hand bearing compasses. The only problem I have had is that the finish degraded and became sticky but a wipe with meths cleaned it up and it is still giving great service.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have the Seago monocular with inbuilt compass. The monocular is handy to keep stuffed down your jacket on watch. For taking a bearing, it's far superior to any compass I have ever used.
I'm with you, almost. I have the same monocular; the optics aren't up to my Zeiss monocular and the compass isn't as good as my Sowester, but the combination is unbeatable. Maybe that's what you were saying!

Bluemu

Visit site
if you’re and old f@rt, it’s usually cheaper to buy a 32mm or 40mm pair. You cannot use the 50mm amount of light anyway as your eyes simply are not able to after you age (gracefully :) ). if you’re 20, then go fo the 50mm and rejoice.