Chartplotters on display. Where ?

Mike_S

Visit site
I'm after a chartplotter but would prefer to have a play with a few before committing the hard earned to one. Trouble is, the local emporiums in cardiff don't have any on display at all, so it looks like I'll have to travel to do so. I'm happy to drive for a couple of hours (I can get to Southampton in that time) so if anyone can recommend a chandlers with a good sized display of various makes I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Mike.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
A bit closer would be MES in Bristol, only a mile or so off the Mway and good prices. They used to have a good selection on display, give them a ring.

Mike_S

Visit site
May have to pay them a visit tomorrow if the weather's crap, the website certainly lists some of the kit I'm looking into.

Good excuse to go into Costco at the same time.

Mike_S

Visit site
Bear in mind I'm new to all this boating stuff, so I'm impressed by all the flashy lights and buttons /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's not so much the 'which ones' as the 'what fits' situation. I've got a Regal 2150 and the dash is all very ergonomically designed /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . In other words, it's curvy and has next to bugger all room for a chartplotter without putting it in front of the instrumentation so I want to go and have a look at all the makes and see what will fit in and do the job. If I'm buying a chartplotter it might as well be one that can be a fishfinder as well, for that odd occasion where we may dump a bit of string over the back. Needs to link to my Raymarine DSC VHF (which most should do I'm told).

Given the space, it's unlikely that anything bigger than a 6" screen will fit. It'll also have to be wide rather than tall, iyswim. I've set a budget of £5-800 and I'm looking to buy either here or the US, depending on where I can get the best deal (have friends going to the US in a couple of weeks).

Mike_S

Visit site
Cheers, the local marine sparky had suggested using that as a mounting point as well, with a Lowrance plotter I think.

My other thought was to remove the cover of the little tray on the top of the dash and fabricate a mount using the hinge screw points. It'll have to be fabricated though as the hinge is on an angle across the top of the dash.

Chas25

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Given the space, it's unlikely that anything bigger than a 6" screen will fit. It'll also have to be wide rather than tall, iyswim. I've set a budget of £5-800

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard Horizon CP155 may fit the bill, someone else on the forum has recently got a quote from JG Technology in Weymouth for £250, I run this plotter and have done for 2-3 years, very pleased with it.

Richard10002

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
with a Lowrance plotter I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a Lowrance fits, it's a good plotter with high resolution. I would definitely get the Navionics charts if I was buying again.

Mailspeed Marine in Warrington display a lot of plotters.... I would guess their other branches do the same.

Frontier

Visit site
There must be loads of plotters installed in boats near you.

Come on Cardiff Bay forumites invite Mike over for a play.

If you are passing Chichester any time PM me and you can have a play with my Standard Horizon.