Chart plotter amperage?

nordic

Visit site
Anyone know approx how much current a small budget chart plotter uses, when in full flight displaying a route, as "tested" in last month's PBO? Have tried a Google search without success and dealers do not answer e-mail enquiries! PBO did not mention this, along with waterproofness and ease of fitting and disconnecting, all vital info for the small boat user without banks of batteries and an inboard engine to charge them!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
We have the Navman 5500i colour plotter with built in WAAS/EGNOS GPS, it is fully waterproof (to 1 metre immersion standard) and uses I think just 600mA with backlights on. We bought ours as a backup to the main GPS/Plotter we have at the chart table and this one is cockpit mounted, plugged into a socket on the coachroof. The other feature is that you can select and display your choice of Nav data in big figures easily read from anywhere in the cockpit, we display CTS/COG/SOG/VMG to Wpt/TTG to Wpt/Time, unless & until we need the chart it is kept on this display.

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I also have the Navman 5500, and it is a great piece of kit, very miserly on power, and a very clear display. I was not surprised that it was liked so much in the PBO tests

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
My geonav 6 uses 8W or 0.67A

Is black n white but fully integral, so ideal for a small boat cockpit.

I don't even think about running at that power all day and night!

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I stuck an ammeter on a friend's Raymarine 530, who also wanted to know consumption. At night time light levels it used 380mA, daytime light levels it used 600mA. It was mounted inside the cabin, so it didn't need to be as bright as one in direct daylight.

<hr width=100% size=1>One day, I want to be a real sailor. In the mean time I'll just keep tri-ing.

charles_reed

Visit site
If you download the handbook from the sites they all give you the current draw of the units.

This varies for small units like the Lowrance 3300C and garmin 182C from 70mA to about 1 amp for the large 10" chart plotters. Current draw appears to be a direct relationship to the screen size (in pixels).

<hr width=100% size=1>

nordic

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful.

I did find a reference to the Lowrance 3300C on an angling site that stated that it ran off two AA batteries for 8 hours, so I should have been able to work it out for myself, but the first hand information is better.

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Consumption also depends on how bright the backlight is on models with adjustable brightness. I recorded a considerable difference in consumption by adjusting the light setting, see my other post. Specifications I've seen don't go into this detail, and simply list the maximum consumption.

<hr width=100% size=1>One day, I want to be a real sailor. In the mean time I'll just keep tri-ing.

Talulah

Visit site
For what's it's worth I have just ordered a chart plotter + charts from the States. The Raymarine RC435 + Navionics chart in the UK is a little over the £1000 (£799 + £210). I have bought the same via www.defender.com for £560. That is a huge difference. In my case I am having it shipped to my address in the States but if you were to have it shipped here it would probably total after taxes etc about £730. A significant saving and for the likes of me I can't see why the big difference.

<hr width=100% size=1>