Chandlers latest update - bit sad

Edwin

www.michaelbriant.com
I received the following report:-
If their demands are not met, they will kill the couple in March. 'We are giving an ultimatum of two months from January 1. If we are not paid $3million we are ready to shoot them,' he said.
'It is becoming too expensive to hold these people. By March, they have to decide or we will be done with them.'
The man, who gave his name only as Noor, gave horrific details of the Chandlers' life in captivity.
[Kidnapped: The Chandlers were seized at gunpoint as they sailed to Tanzania]
Mr Chandler, 59, and his wife, from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, were kidnapped at gunpoint in October as they sailed from the Seychelles to Tanzania.
They have since been moved every 48 hours and have been separated from each other despite their desperate pleas to be kept together.
In one shocking episode, the helpless couple clung to each other and begged for clemency until their ruthless captors resorted to force to beat them apart.
Mrs Chandler, an economist, was injured in the attack. She will be treated by a doctor in Somalia, according to her captors, but the episode has escalated fears for her safety.
A second gang member, who claimed he was the pirates' negotiator, said: 'The woman was unfortunately beaten. She was injured but we have arranged for her to get medical treatment.'
Mr Chandler, a retired quantity surveyor, and his wife were on a round-the-world trip when they were kidnapped in the Indian Ocean, onboard their yacht the Lynn Rival.
Their captors have said they will 'burn the bones' of the couple if an attempt is made to free them.

Full story click the link on :- http://www.michaelbriant.com/sailing.htm

jetwake

Visit site
I think we should send help immediately. The captor who caused the injuries must have suffered terrible mental anguish and personal pain: he needs to be councilled I think, and probably be given substantial funds from the estate of the Chandlers who have caused his pain.

The doctor who treats her, he too will suffer. He ought to be rehoused in Handsworth.

I'm not really being flippant: I fear for the Chandlers and I am most unhappy that pirates now blight the passage of sailors once again. I just can't help thinking that until someone in authority gets the guts to simply kill all pirates, would-be pirates and maybe-pirates, like Drake might have done, then the issue simply will not go away. I'm not sure sure whether to pity or blame the Rotten Navy for their lack of balls.

David

reginaldon

Visit site
To think 100,000 quid could have settled this!
OK obliterate the pirates, but all the time they have captives as hostages, it's not that easy.

Wandering Star

Visit site
OK obliterate the pirates, but all the time they have captives as hostages, it's not that easy.
I don't think anyone has evidence £100k was ever the figure sought - the figures quoted range from £100k to £4.4m depending on which newspaper you read.

Personally, I don't think this is about a sum of money - it's about whether we should have blown the b*ggers out of the water when we had the opportunity in a "do or die" effort to save the Chandlers despite the risks to the Chandlers lives which I would claim would have been less than that suggested by other forumites since the pirates would have had to be suicidal to allow the hostages to be killed out of spite, knowing the "game was up" once they were killed - I'm confident the pirates would have surrendered their hostages in exchange for a lift back to shore with their own boat sunk!

But since that didn't happen, paying ransoms of any amount increases the pirates knowledge that UK flagged craft are easy game for easy money.

Cheers, Brian.

T

timbartlett

Sadly, it couldn't. (a) you're assuming that they wouldn't have come back for more
(b) it would have encouraged them to go for a repeat performance.
I don't think anyone said it was easy. But if the world's navies cannot or will not protect the right of innocent passage then WTF are they there for?

Billjratt

Visit site
Mr PawPaw

We should be careful about accepting the truth of Pirate's and Daily Mail exclusive story.

Whatever. The fact remains they are still captive (and, we hope , alive).
What's being done?
Including other ships involved, there is actually more evidence of anti-British activity here than there were weapons of mass destruction in another place.....can't be much oil in Somalia.
If we don't have any hard men regiments anymore, maybe we could persuade the french foreign legion to do the job.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Horrible horrible business.

Unless the story is seen as useful pressure to get UK to produce a bit more effective strategy, like shoot on sight etc.

Uk, Royal Navy both look like a bit of a laughing stock, has been, paper tiger etc. "Rule Britannia-rules the waves?'' I don't think so.

Inevitably going to change others' perceptions in future dealings with UK,Navy. Not good at all.

reginaldon

Visit site
I'm with these sentiments entirely, but they have many more potential hostages than the Chandlers. Maybe if we moved against Somalian gov't big time (if it exists), then they would pressurize the pirates - we're all very much in the dark. Of course it was unforgivable to let them be snatched under our noses.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
I'm with these sentiments entirely, but they have many more potential hostages than the Chandlers. Maybe if we moved against Somalian gov't big time (if it exists), then they would pressurize the pirates - we're all very much in the dark. Of course it was unforgivable to let them be snatched under our noses.

According to this Channel 4 Dispatches documentary http://www.soomaalinews.com/warlords.html (sorry, but it is only available through this Somalian website, but the first half is in the first window and the final part in the second window, and you do get to see some delicious Somalian Ex Pat advertising at the start) the top people in the Somalian government are paid by the British government and most of them have houses in the UK and one even has a British passport.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/dispatches/warlords+next+door/2243452 tells the story, but does not have the documentary.

"Warlords Next Door?

Dispatches reveals how key politicians at the heart of the vicious fighting in Somalia - described as the world's worst humanitarian crisis - enjoy incredibly close links to Britain. They have British or EU passports, their families live here and they commute between Somalia and homes in English cities. British taxpayers are financing them in the name of democracy - yet in Somalia they are linked to allegations of mass murder, torture, extortion and corruption."

Visit site
British taxpayers are financing them in the name of democracy - yet in Somalia they are linked to allegations of mass murder, torture, extortion and corruption."
You forget, anything can be justified in New Labour's war on terrorism.

Recall that Uncle Sam was mightily embarrassed just a few years ago when Sharia law in Somalia proved to be more effective at national building than 130,000 GIs in Iraq. The new islamic government in Somalia got the streets of Mogadishu cleaned for the first time in living memory.

Anyhow to bring to story full circle we put some western puppets in to sort out this outrageous civic progress.

Visit site
I don't have any instinctive empathy for these two middle aged gap year ocean joy riders who wilfully ignored local advice and navigated into trouble. However their firsthand account of the performance of the Royal Navy (or lack of) would be a fascinating read, gotta be worth 1/2 million quid to spring em from the clink for the story alone.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
"I don't have any instinctive empathy for these two middle aged gap year ocean joy riders who wilfully ignored local advice and navigated into trouble."

Sorry! sounds like a bit of jealousy there, and you come across as an arse by saying it.

They were cruising around around the world (as am I) and were well south of the accepted pirate operating area. What they were doing (sailing) and the route they took after advice from the relevant authorities should have taken safely to Kenya or wherever they were heading. I'd be more concerned by the abject failing of the RN and the Gov't minister(s)/civil serpent(s) who didn't have the gonads to stop from this from happening.

I like the Chandlers am cruising around (with my children) and take local advice on what is going on, I also take reliable professional advice when its available. Then I make my decision to sail. At the time I would probably would have taken the same decision as the Chandlers. Does that make me a middle aged gap year ocean joy rider then, or an rational minded adult making an informed sailing decision?

Visit site
They were cruising around around the world (as am I) and were well south of the accepted pirate operating area. What they were doing (sailing) and the route they took after advice from the relevant authorities
I have read otherwise. By the time the Chandlers decided to strike out NW from the Seychelles it was already known the piracy area had extended well south and prevailing local advice was that their proposed route would be risky.

Seems like they decided to act on other advice that suited their cruising intentions. Anyhow we both want them back albeit for different reasons.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I don't have any instinctive empathy for these two middle aged gap year ocean joy riders who wilfully ignored local advice and navigated into trouble.

Grossly unfair and uncalled for - but then as far as I can tell from your posting history on these fora you don't have any instinctive empathy full stop.

I feel sorry for you :(

- W

LymingtonPugwash

Visit site
Grossly unfair and uncalled for - but then as far as I can tell from your posting history on these fora you don't have any instinctive empathy full stop.

I feel sorry for you :(

- W

Well said Webcraft......
JonJo, you come across as a first class plebian and egoistic cad who loves his own self-important opinion. Do us all a favour and sail off to Yemen, if indeed you are as capable as the Chandlers of sailing offshore at all.
The Chandlers are a wonderful couple who would never have rebelliously sailed where they were clearly told not to sail and were simply trying to make passage as safely as possible.

V1701

Visit site
Out of order!!!

I don't have any instinctive empathy for these two middle aged gap year ocean joy riders who wilfully ignored local advice and navigated into trouble. However their firsthand account of the performance of the Royal Navy (or lack of) would be a fascinating read, gotta be worth 1/2 million quid to spring em from the clink for the story alone.

All you've done here is tell us something about yourself...:mad:

Visit site
but then as far as I can tell from your posting history on these fora you don't have any instinctive empathy full stop.
I have plenty of concern and empathy for things that matter.

The world is becoming a nasty place and particularly problematic for the UK, hence I don't want the British Government to bust a gut digging the Chandlers out of trouble. Its a matter of individual responsibility but I don't expect my argument to sink in Webcraft since the term "individual responsibility" is an anathema to your generation.