Caught by the scamera

fisherman

Visit site
Amos gave him a briefing when he arrived. This was 1980. "Now look here Lt Henderson, jus' a word about n*****s. We is all n*****s......jus' you is a bit on the pale side"

Bouba

Visit site
Fisherman, I fear you may have overstepped the mark.....in this sensitive world in which we inhabit

lustyd

Visit site
The ex-Brightlingsea HM is a club mate of ours and he told us that their 4 kn limit is SOG, so at least some limits are SOG. It would be wise to assume whichever is the lesser.
Unless that means crashing your boat. Then ignore the snowflakes and do the right thing. 4kt SOG is not enough for a lot of boats in a lot of conditions. In fact any boat going with 4kt tide will fail to steer.

Stemar

Visit site
Then ignore the snowflakes and do the right thing
Which is almost never doing 3 times the speed limit among closely spaced moorings.

Yes, there are exceptions. I don't think the safety boat I drove would do 20 knots, but I've certainly been flat out, and well above the speed limit through moorings when a youngster wiped out in his dinghy and I couldn't see him.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Which is almost never doing 3 times the speed limit among closely spaced moorings.

Yes, there are exceptions. I don't think the safety boat I drove would do 20 knots, but I've certainly been flat out, and well above the speed limit through moorings when a youngster wiped out in his dinghy and I couldn't see him.
There is often a problem with a single hander rowing a tender . Apart from facing in the wrong direction, being low down, often all you can see is a forest of masts and it is very difficult to see oncoming boats like ribs or judge speed. I'm sure many others have experienced this . I have seen some very near misses , particularly with jet skiers who don't really go on the water often enough to gain experience.

johnalison

Visit site
Unless that means crashing your boat. Then ignore the snowflakes and do the right thing. 4kt SOG is not enough for a lot of boats in a lot of conditions. In fact any boat going with 4kt tide will fail to steer.
Nobody is going to prosecute you for doing 5kn SOG downtide in a 4kn limit, but if you can't control your boat at 1kn you should take up some other sport where you are less likely to harm someone.

Leighb

Visit site
Nobody is going to prosecute you for doing 5kn SOG downtide in a 4kn limit, but if you can't control your boat at 1kn you should take up some other sport where you are less likely to harm someone.
Not wishing to disagree, but have you helmed a twin screw diesel m/b whose minimum STW with both engines on tickover is about 2-3kts? To go any slower requires a lot of clicking in and out of gear, and I am not sure what steerage control is left at 1kt. On one engine it will go bit slower, but then steering is definitely tricky.
However as someone has said there are not many harbours with lots of moorings where the tide runs at 5 or 6 knots.

Bouba

Visit site
There is a lot of confirmation bias going on here…it’s a story of a RIB in a yachting sub-forum…so it’s to be expected

wonkywinch

Visit site
Which is why I believe most speeds are STW not SOG? It certainly is in the Hamble and as I overlook the river, I can tell which way the tide is running by the SOG of boats passing the house. At the bottom of a Solent spring ebb, lots of places you won't get home before midnight if you stuck to 6kts through the water.

johnalison

Visit site
Not wishing to disagree, but have you helmed a twin screw diesel m/b whose minimum STW with both engines on tickover is about 2-3kts? To go any slower requires a lot of clicking in and out of gear, and I am not sure what steerage control is left at 1kt. On one engine it will go bit slower, but then steering is definitely tricky.
However as someone has said there are not many harbours with lots of moorings where the tide runs at 5 or 6 knots.
I have never had any desire to drive such a machine. The nearest to it were 36' motor-boats that we had on the Broads when I was at school age. Manoeuvring them in small spaces was a matter of pride even then. I have watched powerboats of all sizes in harbour and noticed the marked difference between owners and the professionals, who do it without fuss, while the owners always come and go accompanied by the trumpeting of bowthrusters. On one occasion two inland boats the size of blocks of flats needed moving in the Sixhaven. In the end, it was the harbourmaster who took over and the job was done as if they were dinghies.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I have never had any desire to drive such a machine. The nearest to it were 36' motor-boats that we had on the Broads when I was at school age. Manoeuvring them in small spaces was a matter of pride even then. I have watched powerboats of all sizes in harbour and noticed the marked difference between owners and the professionals, who do it without fuss, while the owners always come and go accompanied by the trumpeting of bowthrusters. On one occasion two inland boats the size of blocks of flats needed moving in the Sixhaven. In the end, it was the harbourmaster who took over and the job was done as if they were dinghies.
To be fair Sixhaven is tight and taking a longish keel 34 foot boat in there was somewhat nerve wracking.

Pye_End

Visit site
Do you know Brightlingsea? Currents are nothing like 4kn. Fairways are tight, especially in the busy season.

The Q

Visit site
I wasn't aware the Broads were tidal.
Yes most of the rivers are, my club is 19 miles up river, I've sat in the rescue dory and drifted at 1 mph up river against a 30mph down river wind. At the club river corner you can get 2 or 3 mph incoming tide at springs. When racing I always look at the tide tables to see going up or down river I sit in the middle or down the leeward bank when running. Plus how long to make the tacks against the tide.

That's part of the 3 Rivers Race challenge not only have you to race 50 miles round the course, lowering your mast 4 times. But you have to factor in the tides, for which I use Norfolk-Broads.org the print tide table is a good illustration. Arrive at the lower Bure buoy or Potter Heigham bridge against full tide and you're going nowhere further.
The start is 11:00 for the first competitors, with this year nearly max tide going out, so good for getting out of the village.. I predict most this year will make a mad dash for the lower Bure buoy low tide and hope to round it and come back with the tide up through Potter Heigham bridge..
Entries are still open Home race 1st and 2nd June this year