Captain Calamitys

dom

Visit site
I am not allowed to eat peanuts - so I get the boat. Anybody want to crew - no experience required.

The sun is shining and a there is a nice gentle southerly today ...so why not? BTW I still have my old Philip's World Atlas somewhere which should be fine for nav :D

JumbleDuck

Visit site
That is confusing. Of course somebody who buys it may want to use it in the EU, in which case they will have to formally import it an pay VAT - although legally that is the responsibility of the Non EU vendor if he wishes to take the boat out of temporary importation and sell it in the EU. Wherever it is used, in or out of the EU the RCD - or any other EU regs are completely irrelevant, so not sure why you are raising it yet again.

How will the Trading Standards officers who, you always assure us, lurk in wait in every harbour, know that the Nora is RCD-exempt without checking? She could be a reproduction built ten years ago.

And so on. And so on. And so on.

macd

Visit site
How will the Trading Standards officers who, you always assure us, lurk in wait in every harbour, know that the Nora is RCD-exempt without checking? She could be a reproduction built ten years ago.

That's beneath you, JD. To my knowledge neither Tranona nor anyone else has ever so much as hinted at TS officers lurking in harbours to check RCD status. Read any thread on the subject (as if you needed to...;)) and you'll see that the most compelling reason cited for steering clear of a boat with dodgy RCD provenance is the relative difficulty of selling it further down the line.

Mister E

Visit site
Does this boat have any fitted mains electric powered stuff fitted?

As the boat was purchased in Norway could VAT have been paid?

One bloke has given up and get his feet under a dinner table in Ireland, so he does not have a UK visa problem. Does the remaining Merkin have a current visa to be in this country or could this be the easiest way to get rid of him?

Triassic

Visit site
Don't be daft - Not having a visa is one of the quickest ways to get a council house in the Uk & become a resident. better still if they throw away their passport & "forget" where they come from

That won't work, how he got here as got to be one of the best documented trips in history..... :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
That's beneath you, JD. To my knowledge neither Tranona nor anyone else has ever so much as hinted at TS officers lurking in harbours to check RCD status.

Then you need to read more of these eternal bloody RCD threads. We all know that imports should, in theory, be RCD compliant, but no-one has ever managed to produce any evidence that this is checked for private imports of small boats. Rock up to Cowes in a spanking new American flag boat and put the "For Sale" sign up and yes you may have questions to answer. Otherwise ...

Even worse are the cries of WOOOOOLLLLFFFFF about the later sale of boats which have been in the EEA for some time, and which may have changed hands several times. And yet there is always someone wringing his hands about need for RCD compliance and the claimed likelihood of Trading Standrds descending to check.

pvb

Visit site
As a nation, we Brits do seem to be overly anxious to abide by the random edicts of our EU masters. Most other European countries just ignore them, and get on happily with life.

Resolution

Visit site
As a nation, we Brits do seem to be overly anxious to abide by the random edicts of our EU masters. Most other European countries just ignore them, and get on happily with life.
The Daily Wail would like us to think so.
Anyway, IF you were contemplating buying this once-fine vessel from said American gent, would you not be checking out the VAT status carefully? After, that is, sucking in your teeth and muttering "non- RCD compliant" a few times as you inspect the boat.

pvb

Visit site
The Daily Wail would like us to think so.
Anyway, IF you were contemplating buying this once-fine vessel from said American gent, would you not be checking out the VAT status carefully? After, that is, sucking in your teeth and muttering "non- RCD compliant" a few times as you inspect the boat.

I wouldn't ever contemplate buying a wooden boat!

macd

Visit site
Then you need to read more of these eternal bloody RCD threads. We all know that imports should, in theory, be RCD compliant, but no-one has ever managed to produce any evidence that this is checked for private imports of small boats. Rock up to Cowes in a spanking new American flag boat and put the "For Sale" sign up and yes you may have questions to answer. Otherwise ...

Even worse are the cries of WOOOOOLLLLFFFFF about the later sale of boats which have been in the EEA for some time, and which may have changed hands several times. And yet there is always someone wringing his hands about need for RCD compliance and the claimed likelihood of Trading Standrds descending to check.

I've read plenty of them, JD (and often noticed your entertaining presence along the way. Long may it continue). But I really don't recall any credible assertions that we need fear hordes of officials condemning craft on the basis of a want of RCD credentials. However, I have seen plenty of references to due diligence on the part of potential buyers: no-one in their right mind is going to pay full whack for a boat which is critically lacking in legality. Bargain hunters, however, might see another side of the same coin, but only if they had the nous to look...

As for imports, in RCD terms, that's irrelevant in the case of the vessel in question: it's moved from one EEA country to another. In other words, it hasn't moved at all. (Yet managed to accrue...what is it, nine call-outs in the process? A quite remarkable feat;))

If our colonial cousin in Hayle is reading this digression, I hope it offers him some harmless amusement. He could probably do with it. :rolleyes:

Seajet

Visit site
A chum of mine is selling her house, and the buyers are angling to get a new spec' boiler fitted before sale.

I see this as similar to whinging about RCD by buyers of the Calamitous boat, the boiler has never killed my chum, but it's natural to want a survey saying ' safe to use ', expecially as this boat may appeal to other dreamers, even with more realistic ambitions.

In fact may be a god-given gift if she falls into the lap of some competent people.

Tranona

Visit site

And so on. And so on. And so on.

Once again displaying your ignorance on this subject. Firstly the question was about whether the boat needs to comply, not who would check. The answer to that is very clear as the boat was built in the EEA, but even if it was not it was almost certainly in the EEA on the qualifying date to be exempt. It is irrelevant when it was built anyway as even if it was built this year it would still be exempt under the historic vessels rule.

Tranona

Visit site

You have obviously never had to deal with the Croatian or Polish authorities for example in relation to buying and registering boats, nor with the Belgians over red diesel.

The reality is that RCD issues such as being discussed here affect so few people that there is more myth and "might happen" than fact. The only "fact" is what the rules say and it would be unwise of anybody to contemplate importing a boat without being aware of them.

snowleopard

Visit site
The reality is that RCD issues such as being discussed here affect so few people that there is more myth and "might happen" than fact. The only "fact" is what the rules say and it would be unwise of anybody to contemplate importing a boat without being aware of them.

The experience of people who have imported boats from the USA etc. is that it is almost impossible to get a CE mark appropriate to the type of boat and most end up getting a 'D' (inland waters) or at best 'C' (Sheltered coastal). That's no problem if you are registered in the UK as our authorities don't care what, if any, classification you have. French owners however can be heavily fined for taking a boat beyond its official cruising limits. Who said it was just British civil servants who gold-plate EU rules?

In Britain, you need to have an RCD certificate to sell a boat unless (a) it was built before the rules came into force or (b) the boat is home-built and finished more than 5 years ago.

doug748

Visit site
................In fact may be a god-given gift if she falls into the lap of some competent people.

I think you may well be right.

Someone has said that the boat is old and tired and they would have a job selling it in Hayle. I am sure none of those things are true.

The South West is one of the most vibrant areas for wooden boat sailing building and restoration. Every port has it's group of very knowledgeable aficionados. I can assure you there will be a number of eyes on this boat.

Romeo

Visit site
Re: Captains Calamity

On a point of order, the plural of Captain Calamity is Captains Calamity, not Captain Calamatys or Captain Calamities.

Now that we have got that sorted out, you may return to the thread.

NormanS

Visit site
Re: Captains Calamity

On a point of order, the plural of Captain Calamity is Captains Calamity, not Captain Calamatys or Captain Calamities.

Now that we have got that sorted out, you may return to the thread.

Or even Captains Calamitous. :D