Captain Calamitys

NormanS

Visit site
All good points. But generally it's better to be safe than sorry (and do bear in mind that I am definitely not a part of the OTT Elf 'n' Safety brigade). I would suggest that the CG watchrooms don't err on the cautious side, but they do work on the cautious side.

Well, you may say that, but:-

A couple of years ago, I was anchored off an uninhabited island west of Harris, in the Outer Hebrides, on a beautiful, calm, windless Sunday afternoon. I discovered that my engine had developed a serious fault, and could not be run. There was no danger, and no rush, but also no wind. I contacted the CG to ask if they could contact a fishing boat, or fish farm boat from the village a few miles away, to ask them to give me a tow to the village, where I hoped that the garage there could be of some assistance.

"Wait one", I was told. A minute or so passed, then, " We've tasked ********** Lifeboat to come to your assistance".

Needless to say, I explained that I did not require assistance, but they were determined.
As it happened, within ten minutes, a nice breeze got up, I got the sails up, lifted the anchor, and proceeded to sail to the village. I called the CG again to ask them to recall the Lifeboat, but they knew best. By the time that the Lifeboat caught up with us, we were nearly at the village. The Lifeboat closed, gave us a cheery wave, and departed. We proceeded under sail, and anchored off the village.

No doubt, that will be recorded as an Incident, hopefully not as 'lives saved', but a total waste of money and peoples time. You can probably now see why I said "err" on the cautious side.

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
Norman, yes, sometimes it happens. They also "err" the other way sometimes, but hopefully not too often. All the examples when the watchroom don't get it perfectly and exactly right (and there are inevitably many of them) just go to show that it is a difficult task. They are working with limited information, they may be running another incident at the same time, they are thinking through how long it will take to get the assets on scene and how the situation could deteriorate in that time. It's not easy, and they know that if they get it wrong in the other direction they will get jumped on.

doug748

Visit site

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If it is for sale I assume VAT will be payable on the purchase price; not sure about RCD compliance though.

36761303.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
If it is for sale I assume VAT will be payable on the purchase price; not sure about RCD compliance though.

Red herring. It was built in the EEA (Norway) before 1998 so RCD does not apply. VAT will depend on where the last transaction took place. If it was in Norway, then yes, in theory if it stays in the EU VAT might be payable. As it is currently owned by a non resident it is covered by temporary importation rules for its transit on its way to the US.

No doubt the current owner is as up to date with all the intricacies of VAT etc to the same level as his knowledge of how to run an ocean going cruiser.

pvb

Visit site
Red herring. It was built in the EEA (Norway) before 1998 so RCD does not apply. VAT will depend on where the last transaction took place. If it was in Norway, then yes, in theory if it stays in the EU VAT might be payable. As it is currently owned by a non resident it is covered by temporary importation rules for its transit on its way to the US.

No doubt the current owner is as up to date with all the intricacies of VAT etc to the same level as his knowledge of how to run an ocean going cruiser.

But maybe an immediate demand for VAT might be a way of stopping the guy from killing himself at sea?

Tranona

Visit site
But maybe an immediate demand for VAT might be a way of stopping the guy from killing himself at sea?

Unfortunately nobody has the power to "demand" in his current position. It is only a sale or a declaration to import that will trigger a potential liability. As already identified earlier, MCA potentially have the power to detain him but are unlikely to exercise that power.

Horace

N/A
Visit site
Give the bloody bloke a break!It's his life why all the nannies that think they know what's best for him?

We only live once & if he is prepared to die doing something he enjoys then good on him.There are plenty more unpleasant ways to die & certainly many more boring ones :rolleyes:

pvb

Visit site
Give the bloody bloke a break!It's his life why all the nannies that think they know what's best for him?

We only live once & if he is prepared to die doing something he enjoys then good on him.There are plenty more unpleasant ways to die & certainly many more boring ones :rolleyes:

Most of us are probably concerned about the risk to the lives of the rescue personnel which might have to go and recover him.

prv

Visit site
We only live once & if he is prepared to die doing something he enjoys then good on him.

If he just went out and did that, then fair enough. It's the constantly making silly mistakes, receiving help, and then being rude about it that has set the world against him.

Do you defend his nicking stuff from the fishermen in Hayle too?

Pete

RupertW

Visit site
Most of us are probably concerned about the risk to the lives of the rescue personnel which might have to go and recover him.

That's pretty unhelpful logic. Unless they are in extreme conditions in which anybody might need rescuing then the chances of rescue personell losing their lives is minimal. So in all the "time wasting" scenarios the waste is of money and volunteers time, which is regretable but not a life risk.

The whole argument about somehow "stopping them" would simply lead to mavericks continuing to break the rules whilst thousands of the rest of us surrender the right to go to seas without prescribed equipment from a bureacratic list, and of course all that inspection will need to be paid for by us. In Croatia it wasn't just flares and life jackets, it was regulation survival suits (useless polythene things) for 10 people and many other things - and of course a fee to do the inspection and report too. And thats for a non-commercial sailing boat just sailed by wife and I.

Let em go, let em succeed or drown and lets keep inspectors and nannies off my boat.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
... In Croatia it wasn't just flares and life jackets, it was regulation survival suits (useless polythene things) for 10 people and many other things - and of course a fee to do the inspection and report too. And thats for a non-commercial sailing boat just sailed by wife and I.

We just spent 3rd season in Croatia. Never been asked for a list of safety equipment. Never got inspected. Never heard of need survival suits on board.

TudorSailor