Captain Calamitys

NormanS

Visit site
Sorry to be so crude but I thought that "eats shoots and leaves" was about a guy who went around to his girlfriends for an excellent dinner,made love,and then went home??
Must be mistaken?
Mad Pad

Only if you don't appreciate the finer points of commas.:rolleyes:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Where that, I can't find it.

Someone gave a reference earlier. It's the one where it seems that all they do is sail on a bit and then ask the coastguard where there is a port they could use. No passage planning whatsoever, so no wonder they keep having to get towed in somewhere.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Sorry to be so crude but I thought that "eats shoots and leaves" was about a guy who went around to his girlfriends for an excellent dinner,made love,and then went home??
Must be mistaken?
Mad Pad
No, it's about a panda that went to a restaurant, ate it's meal, shot the pianist and then left advising the hostess to look him up in the dictionary.

Visit site
Had they borrowed their compass from these guys?

true%20north_zpslv9srxvo.jpg

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
You kidding he's American, thinks he knows it all!:disgust:

I'm not mentioning any nationalities so no-one needs to get on their high horse ...... but there is one notable nationality who frequent the Caribbean and one who frequent the Adriatic who, from my experience, in the case of any maritime difficulty rather favour the "give it more welly" school of problem-solving.

On the other hand, I don't know if I'm the exception, but my first approach is always to "tickle it home", which receives unanimous disapproval from the crew as they all impatiently stand on the sidedeck, mooring lines in hand. Is this a typically British approach? :)

Richard

dom

Visit site
Comma now inserted

Since the thread has already drifted a bit. I've sailed quite a bit out of Crosshaven as a kid and noticed your somewhat intriguing location! Just out of interest (I'm guessing you're Irish) as quite a few us are aiming for the South Coast this summer, how do you currently rate Kinsale (some mixed reviews going around) and any new specials to pick up on in Cork?

snowleopard

Visit site
I thought that "eats,shoots and leaves" was about a guy who went around to his girlfriends for an excellent dinner,made love,and then went home??

You are entirely correct (in the current edit of your post)

'Eats shoots and leaves' however is a description of a Wombat.

(Or as it was told to me 40 years ago: Eats roots shoots and leaves.

jamie N

Visit site
(Or as it was told to me 40 years ago: Eats roots shoots and leaves.)

I've always thought of it as one of Australia's most significant contributions to world culture!:D

Strolls

Visit site
Post industrial wasteland, though they keep trying to improve it. Used to be coal ships for the power station, kept the bar open until late 70s. Two foundries in the 19thc, one built the pump that emptied the Zuider Zee.
Your comment made me google photos of Hayle. I was all set to say "it doesn't look so bad" until I looked on streetview. An overcast day certainly doesn't do the town any favours.

G12

Visit site
Your comment made me google photos of Hayle. I was all set to say "it doesn't look so bad" until I looked on streetview. An overcast day certainly doesn't do the town any favours.

Hayle is ok these days - it's had a bit of investment. It has been referred to by my gran as the "place that god forgot to finish building." It was certainly rough as a badgers arse for a while before though.

Not sure if anyone has posted the link to this boat on Sailing Anarchy yet. She's a pukka Colin Archer by the way.

http://sailinganarchy.com/2016/01/28/nine-times/

Mad Pad

Visit site
Dom Hi,
I was born in Cork in the early 50'ts ,lived on Cork Harbour for my formative years.
Now have a home a few miles from Kinsale.
Depends what you want?
Coming from the UK south coast Kinsale is an ideal 1st stop.2no marinas,close to airport with direct busses and taxis at 30 euros,Plenty of reataurants and supermarkets.Not such a dead end as Crosser (Crosshaven)although the harbour is well worth a look,especially Cobh.
But personally I would then head west...very few marinas but loads of anchorages,but that's what it's all about.
PM me with your contact details if you need indepth info.

dom

Visit site
Dom Hi,
I was born in Cork in the early 50'ts ,lived on Cork Harbour for my formative years.
Now have a home a few miles from Kinsale.
Depends what you want?
Coming from the UK south coast Kinsale is an ideal 1st stop.2no marinas,close to airport with direct busses and taxis at 30 euros,Plenty of reataurants and supermarkets.Not such a dead end as Crosser (Crosshaven)although the harbour is well worth a look,especially Cobh.
But personally I would then head west...very few marinas but loads of anchorages,but that's what it's all about.
PM me with your contact details if you need indepth info.

I'm from Dublin and my first experience of Cork Harbour was collecting perriwinkles in the rock pools just inside Roche's Point Lighthouse. We used to sell them to the French! About fifteen years later I'd learnt to sail and was racing dinghies across the way in Crosshaven ....us lot being welcomed as slightly downmarket guests at "The Yacht Club" where posh barmen would greet us with their finest Montenotte (?) accents! I personally think Cork is arguably the nicest city in Ireland.

You know if the weather is right I think heading west would be a wonderful idea and then either dump the boat in Cork, or a quick blast back to Falmouth. Will defo pm and we might even start a new thread if others are interested.

Babylon

Visit site
...heading west would be a wonderful idea and then either dump the boat in Cork, or a quick blast back to Falmouth. Will defo pm and we might even start a new thread if others are interested.

There's an American chap who might be interested....

;)