Can you identify this yacht?

Panache2010

Visit site
I just bought this little sailing/racing yacht from eBay, i need help to identify what the design is if possible
It has a drop keel, its 20 ft long, it has a carbon fibre extending bow sprit
And it needs a load of work
The eBay item number is 321436161554
I m new here and cant work out how to upload pictures onto the forum post from my ipad, sorry
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Lakesailor

Visit site
It's a Micro Cup yacht. There were many protoypes, look here........ http://www.microclass.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=428

Might be a Gem 550?
or

Microsail
Neptune
Ricochet
Pol55
Challenger
Jouet
Jumper
Corsaire
swift
Morrison
baraka
Hot Boat
Europa
i 550

I bought a Morrison K1. It was rotten to bits. I chopped it up and sold the parts. Look at the ply bonded-in frames to see if they are sound. Your cockpit is probably ply sandwiched between grp (or possibly epoxy)

This is why your cockpit feels spongy.....

Cuttingupboat_2.jpg

Under cockpit

Microclean_11.jpg

Microclean_9.jpg

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
As soon as I saw the boat the window pattern said ' Jouet ' to me, then I saw that it's on Lakesailors' list, so maybe that's a line worth pursuing.

Hope she works out well for you.

Panache2010

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, looking through images on google i think its a ricochet micro standard, that appears to be the exact shape and design. The gent ive bought it off has a ssr number for it and the sails have an emblem on (yet to see this)
Collecting it sunday so will know a little more then, its going to take some time, effort and cash to sort it, but i should end up with a smart little racer in the end of it, i plan to do the RTIR next year in it so wish me luck!- no doubt i will be posting for some more advice soon
Thanks again

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for the info guys, looking through images on google i think its a ricochet micro standard, that appears to be the exact shape and design. The gent ive bought it off has a ssr number for it and the sails have an emblem on (yet to see this)
Collecting it sunday so will know a little more then, its going to take some time, effort and cash to sort it, but i should end up with a smart little racer in the end of it, i plan to do the RTIR next year in it so wish me luck!- no doubt i will be posting for some more advice soon
Thanks again

The SSR does not really mean much. The information on it is self declared so does not prove anything other than the owner filled in a form and paid his £25!

scruff

Visit site
I used to have a Micro 18, they are Great wee boats. Quite tippy but they can certainly shift. I sailed mine with a b14 gennaker and that was fun solo! A f3 with Gennaker set down hill never failed to get a smile on my face. Very easy to get up on the plane.

Panache2010

Visit site
So, are these pics a solution to the spongy cockpit?, should i be strengthening like this under the sole, i was intending, after checking what has happened, to cut out the cockpit sole and replace the ply, then re glass. But i guess your solution would also provide a 'belt and braces' approach to the finished repair, at the expense of some extra weight

Lakesailor

Visit site
Nope. The bracing underneath the cockpit floor was the original framework. I showed it so you could see they have built beams using 3mm ply. This is very light but as soon as the ply rots the integrity is lost.
The cross-section of the floor and sheathing was taken when I was cutting the boat up to scrap it.

Cuttingupboat_4.jpg

Cuttingupboat_9.jpg

Last edited:

markhomer

Visit site
any excuse to show your piccys of boat brutality :)

if its 20 foot it aint a micro tonner , but guessing 20 foot may not be accurate sure does look like a micro tonner ,

I used to race a micro 18 when in their heyday , cracking boats