Can diesel duty be policed?

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
I fail to see how it can be effectively policed, I have a motorsailer with a 2500l bunker I may use it all in one trip, but I may not use it all in ten years so how can any inspector say when the red diesel hit my tanks. I will continue with gas oil as long as I can whatever the source. Are we going to have fleets of customs and excise roaming moorings dipping tanks or are they going to hit the captives in the marinas like speed cameras nick motorists. I for one go sailing to get away from all this officialdom. Keep Gordon off our boats!

petecavo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Are we going to have fleets of customs and excise roaming moorings dipping tanks or are they going to hit the captives in the marinas like speed cameras nick motorists.

[/ QUOTE ]
They already dip our lorries so, to start off with, I think it will be an easy one to bring in. Initially a few will be told to take a day off of the roads and go on marina watch instead or accompany coast guards etc
They can't tax the wind so I keep sailing.

JasB

Visit site
My guess is they will say that you have to drain your tanks, one way or another, by a certain date, and then random checks will be made (as they are on HGV) with some allowance made for red dye remaining in the tank. Easy to police.

JasB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
might just mean that it costs even more to collect a tax than the tax is worth.

Churning...

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't that be unusual and suprising if our government cocked up like that? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Craggleboyuk

Visit site
isnt this the reason they invented blue dye ;o)

Not sure if the cherry will turn blue, or if it will turn purple. You could always say you dyed it to stop people pinching it....

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They can't tax the wind so I keep sailing

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhh!
With John Prescott's plan to increase council taxation for houses with nice views, I would keep quiet or he may get another idea., or tell Gordon about it.

After all, The French tax the wind with their cruising tax.

G

Chamnge of marker ...

Very easy to do actually and would be instantly recognisable............ by simple test.

Red dye is only a part of the system - the visible element.

There are various colours that could be adopted along with markers or not - so easy peasy.

KevinLonghurst

Visit site
Re: Chamnge of marker ...

As a Fuel Distributor we have to complete returns each month showning where every litre of Gas Oil(red) and kerosene is delivered and for what purpose, we are required by law to return these forms to Customs & Exsice, a list of uses already includes boats and waterway crafts,although aimed at Commerial fishermen it will not take much working out by customs & excise which people are commericial and which are not.