Campaign to Reduce UK Petrol Prices: A Rip-off at

global_odyssey

Visit site
Campaign to Reduce UK Petrol Prices: A Rip-off at

Sorry, not entirely boaty, unless you have a long trip to the boat!

This e-mail is going around interesting concept and is worth a try I suppose!

We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.
Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER

THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
Action:
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at S hell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.

<hr width=100% size=1>I've got wind......................
...............................in my sails!

Gunfleet

Visit site
walk on rice paper, drive on air

3 million? 30 million? 300 million? Ah, Grasshopper, you have managed to define one sort of infinity.

<hr width=100% size=1>

IanPoole2

Visit site
Re: Campaign to Reduce UK Petrol Prices: A Rip-off at

I think you'll find that the large petro-chemical multnationals make more money refining & extracting than they do from flogging it to the punters.
Remember the last time when the depots were blockaded - it was one the news that Esso, Shell, BP etc would quite happily shut down the stations and just flog it to the supermarkets in bulk.

You can do nothing to stop the producers putting up prices (except possibly invade Iraq). They are are a cartel and hold all the cards.

The government could reduce tax, but then they would just accelerate the road tolls programme to recoup the lost revenue.

You could buy a bike!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Joe_Cole

Visit site

Oh! Goody! Another fuel campaign.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Good Night.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mike21

Visit site

Think during last fuel crisis they reconned if oil companies didn't charge anything for fuel, only charged the tax it would still cost about 70p/l

<hr width=100% size=1>

Miker

Visit site

Invade Iraq. I read that the war in Iraq, sorry the peace, has caused the increased demand as the US is restocking its depleted oil stocks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mollari

Visit site

I think our fearful leader is stockpiling money so he can buy his 104ft petrol powered superyacht and pass it off as the new Downing street.

It costs around 11pence to manufacture 1liter of petrol, the problem is not the price but the tax we are all pay for using it. I would suggest a blockade of the Thames or even better, all the major waterways of this Country and not let anything in or out, but this would never happen for a number of reasons, which I would not dare go into.

the other way is to blockade Parliment with a 2 mile radius, no traffic in or out, again these would cause a major problem but our tyrannical leader would have all participants disapeared or shot. Democracy is alive and well because Tony says it is!!!!!!!!

Finally the other option is to move England to Iraq.................. sorry, my mistake The USA has already done that!
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>I think therefore I have a headache S.S.D.D.

cliff

Visit site

Sorry to burst your bubble but where do you think Sainsburys, Tesco, jet etc get their petrol from in the first place?

Stand outside BP grangemouth and look at the different tankers coming out of the refinery. All that would happen is BP would close all BP outlets and save money as would ESSO although I admit I haven't seen an ESSO station in a long time - maybe in south of england there are some?

From what I have read on the subject, Petrol/Diesel/Kerosene is only a small percentage (10~15%) of the refined product. Majority of Oil goes for plastics, chemicals, pharmacuticals, avgas, lubricants etc so the oil companies won't suffer that much.

No, I am afraid the only way I can see to bring down the price of fuel is a nation wide general strike and a boycott of ALL fuel producers until TB liar gets the finger out and cuts the TAX and stops wasting money. I agree that the consumers have the power but while some have too much money and could not care less of fuel was £20 per gallon the price will not come down.

There will always be some selfish gits who say " I want fuel, I will pay no matter what and screw the rest of you so long as I get my fuel"

How long do you think TB liar could hold out if every fuel consumer in the country went "on strike". No taxis, buses, trains, flights, ambulances, no cars on the roads, no trucks no nothing, no industry ah the dreams but it will never happen I fear.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nich39Nige

Visit site

Hey leave my salary and pension alone.

I'm with an oil major (BP) and as others have said it's the tax that puts up the price.
Getting rid of Bliar et al is not the solution as the other parties all follow the some tax gathering route. Even the Green's who wish to use taxation as a rationing system.
Regardless of what the media says oil prices are NOT at an all time high. we had to pay the equivilent of 70 dollars a barrel back in the seventies.

We, mainly householders, are very happy to talk about how much we have made on our property but having to spend it is a different matter. Believe it or not we the boating minority have very little influence in the scheme of things. Lets just accept that things are as they are. If the world were to sort out all the problems in the Middle East then the cost of crude would drop but not the price of fuel unless we pay a huge increase in taxes elsewhere.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

...unless governement starts spending more effectively AND more efficiently .. in which case the phenomenal tax burden we labour (sic) under would reduce!

Oh sugar, should'nt have said that ... suppose Labour'll threaten to sue me for libel now ... Sorry Tony & Gordon, did'nt mean it .. I really enjoy paying all these extra taxes you've imposed on me ...

KeithH

Visit site

Sadly, the problem is in the wholesale price of fuel ... that is to say the price on the world market. The gasoline demand appears to be driven by China and by our gas guzzling allies(?) in the US. If the US gasoline demand dropped, perhaps by reducing the perceved desirability of SUV's, then the shortage of refined products would dissappear. Low cost airlines must also be a cause of increased demand for jet/kero.

This crude oil price increase is unusual, as it has been caused by a high demand for product, rather than a significant shortage of crude. So refinery profit margins are at an all time high. The last price hike was caused by a shortage of crude, so refinery margins also tended to suffer, as they generally could not push all the price rise to the customer.. This time refiners, especially in the West Coast of the US, are making money like never before.

So, what we do in our Island (dump the pump or whatever) will do nothing to affect the economics of crude and fuel prices. Nothing at all. Just hope that Bush is not re-elected, and the new President manages to pass legislation which will reduce the obsene wasteage of petroleum products in the US.

<hr width=100% size=1>KeithH

Mollari

Visit site

The average man on the street can't get round the fact that it is not the price of crude that is crippling, it is the tax. OK so in the 70's it rose but what was the tax rate on fuel?

To boycott the petrol stations, would cause the franchise owners out of business and most are owned privately and sell the fuel. they only make about 1 or 2p per litre, whereas the government pockets about 50p+ per liter. The only way is to boycott the government or a full scale Revelution, or civil war or a massive Coup' with me as your leader I will trample the dictator TB underfoot and reduce taxes.
mainly on fuel, stop unemployment benefit and Social security payments.

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

NB: Please note the laughter it is not the sardonic laughter of Dr Evil, but the chuckle of a desparate man.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

The current shortage is, at least in part, artificial, as the US Govt. is stockpiling historically large amounts of oil - presumably because they are worried about continuing, ahem, local difficulties in the Middle East curtailing supplies.

Only a cynic would suggest that George Dubya will release some of this stockpile during the autumn, which will drive down the domestic prices in the good ol' US of A, thus producing a feelgood surge amongst the American electorate in the run up to the Presidential elections. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>Je suis Marxiste - tendance Groucho

Mollari

Visit site

This is quite true, but No other country in the civilized world pays the level of tax on fuel that we do in UK!

If all else fails, blame the government.

The one sad thing about elections, is that the government will always win!

global_odyssey

Visit site

Hey, I'm not after your salary or pension! I was just passing on an idea for discussion.
However, as it happens I would prefer to see a less crippling fuel price (not so I could go out and buy/waste more) - just that I would be taxed less to get to where I need to be to earn a living - which would make it all more worthwhile.

OK so it's not just the oil companies to blame - the Western governments (Bliar, Culpability Brown and George Dubya and his friends at the Fed) seem able to screw things pretty well all by themselves. However, when oil prices come down, pump prices don't follow very quickly so pressure on the oil giants is fair game.

Much of the demand is coming from China's (and India's) booming economy and their need to stockpile. This higher oil price is putting all western economies into inflationary mode which will not be readily sustainable noting the galactic levels of debt and trade deficits.

As regards making loads of money on property - that's only the case if you wish to sell up and buy something smaller. (e.g a boat). The trouble is everything has risen so the net effect is NIL if you buy somewhere else. As regards not wanting to spend money - that's not necessarily a bad thing - isn't it 'a fool and his money that are easily parted'? (as a boat-owner I find it hard to say this!)
Anyway, I'd simply prefer to spend money on something useful, than keep on shelling it out in taxes and duties for which I see very little benefit. Maybe it's different for people who are overloaded with wealth.

For everyone else there's always the remortgage option.

Disclaimer. The above is all with tongue firmly in cheek and with no offense intended except than to those who really deserve it!

Tourniquet

Visit site

What u are saying global odyssey I think is a really good Idea, and I will send it on...

<hr width=100% size=1>I love My bf Phil....
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif XxX Kirsty Louise XxX /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

jorinda

Visit site

Wont work, all that Esso for instance will do is close the petrol stations, we've lost 2 locally already, with the usual loss of jobs. If you want Miser Brown to bring down fuel tax's use your vote in the next elections and make sure you tell your candidate why your voting for him and if he gets in keep badgering him at his surgery etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>The Chandler at Bucklers Hard

oldgit

Visit site
Re:Those pesky er oil peeps er goverment er USA etc

No chance of the malcontents spending a bit less time on here here and working a bit harder I suppose.Thought not,prob to busy working on how to take the next sickie without attracting to much untoward attention and not losing any pay..Just stop whinging and get yourself a second job or change the one you have got for one that pays better.O cripes that means doing something./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>If it aint broke fix it till it is.

global_odyssey

Visit site
Malcontents?

Thanks, but I can be malcontent about high fuel prices without being prone to take 'sickies'.
I always pay my way in life and never ask for handouts - but I still think fuel is too expensive.
As regards getting a second job, I'd rather not - actually I've just handed in my notice and am planning to do as I please for the forseeable at my own expense - oh and that reminds me - fuel prices in the UK are getting a little out-of-hand.

Anyway, you are obviously happy with 80p+ per litre. Your choice...