Calor apparently due to discontinue 4.5kg & 3.9kg

Bob@SYH

Visit site
I've just been sent this link, we have spoken to our supplier who believes this to be accurate. We're currently waiting to see what options for those returning 4.5 & 3.9 bottles have. All rather disappointing.

Cantata

Visit site

Minerva

Visit site
The fault really stems from boat builders making their gas lockers exactly the correct size of one product, from one supplier - they created this single point of failure. But we are where we are.

Now, speaking as a boat owner that has a gas locker exactly the same size as two calor 4.5kg bottles side by side, what alternative suppliers fit in the same diameter & height restrictions?

Stork_III

Visit site
Flogas 4.5kg bottles are very similar size to Calor. Investigate, though Marina availability for replacement currently will be nil, might change though.

Keith 66

Visit site
I moved my gas bottles out of the side cockpit locker & moved them aft to rear of cockpit behind the tiller. The next size up will stand way above the cockpit deck level. I suppose i will have to put a box over them & make a seat feature out of it!

PeterWright

Visit site
Looking at the Flogas website, they don't seem to offer 4.5kg bottles, but they do have 5 kg Gaslight plastic bottles which would be quite attractive as it would obviate circular rhst stains every time you put a bottle down. The prices look pretty forbidding, including a GBP4.70 ex VAT "volatility surcharge which theh put on top of GBP33.75 inc. VAT and a GBP 49.96 non refundable bottle charge, so it adds up to about GBP90 or more for your first bottle, depending on whether the bottle charge quoted is ex VAT or inc. VAT, they don't tell you on that price!

Similar plastic 5kg bottles are available from SafeFill which you can refill at garages for reasonable prices. These are designed for refilling with protection against overfilling. Seems they have some tie in with Morrisons. Definitely worth looking into the size of these bottles relative to the Calor 4.5kg and, if they fit, the connections required.

Peter.

PeterWright

Visit site
Looking at the Flogas website, they don't seem to offer 4.5kg bottles, but they do have 5 kg Gaslight plastic bottles which would be quite attractive as it would obviate circular rhst stains every time you put a bottle down. The prices look pretty forbidding, including a GBP4.70 ex VAT "volatility surcharge which theh put on top of GBP33.75 inc. VAT and a GBP 49.96 non refundable bottle charge, so it adds up to about GBP90 or more for your first bottle, depending on whether the bottle charge quoted is ex VAT or inc. VAT, they don't tell you on that price!

Similar plastic 5kg bottles are available from SafeFill which you can refill at garages for reasonable prices. These are designed for refilling with protection against overfilling. Seems they have some tie in with Morrisons. Definitely worth looking into the size of these bottles relative to the Calor 4.5kg and, if they fit, the connections required.

Peter.
Update, found the 4.5kg Flogas bottle, just needed to move on to page 2 of their range of bottles Doh.Prices more reasonable than their composite Gaslight bottles so worth a closer look.

Peter

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've just checked a few local suppliers of Flogas and no-one stocks the 4.5kg Butane . Just acquired a full Calor 4.5kg Butane so should be ok for a couple of years. Then I'll probably change to Flogas 4.5kg Butane - if I can get them locally and fit my gas box.

Lucy52

Visit site
For your convenience:
Our Cylinders | Safefill

The 5 kg Safe-fill bottle is taller than the 3.9 kg Calor bottle.

I will need to modify the gas locker to take mine. The drain must be at the very bottom of the locker and above the water line, so I plan to raise the lid a few inches somehow.

There are suppliers around, but you have to look for them. You never need to run out of gas, as you can fill a part empty bottle whenever it is convenient.

PS, edit They are expensive to buy.