Calor apparently due to discontinue 4.5kg & 3.9kg

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The fault really stems from boat builders making their gas lockers exactly the correct size of one product, from one supplier - they created this single point of failure. But we are where we are.

Now, speaking as a boat owner that has a gas locker exactly the same size as two calor 4.5kg bottles side by side, what alternative suppliers fit in the same diameter & height restrictions?

Snap.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The fault really stems from boat builders making their gas lockers exactly the correct size of one product, from one supplier - they created this single point of failure. But we are where we are.

No, the fault stems from one supplier (albeit one with a seeming national monopoly) withdrawing a series of bottles that are in widespread use for boats, caravans, motor-homes, etc., and have been for many decades.

That they are apparently refusing to refund the hefty deposit paid on the bottles only rubs salt in the wound.

I really don't understand the commercial logic of it. I imagine, too, there's a market opening for a competing gas supply company to fill Calor bottles and/or introduce an own brand bottle which meets the critical dimensions of the now redundant Calor ones.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
What's the Camping Gas 907 supply situation like in continental Europe?

Am I right in thinking that Calor are the suppliers for Camping Gas in the UK, and only the UK?
Calor deny filling Camping Gaz 907 (I did ask them) but at Bury St Edmunds you can see a huge stack of them at their depot from the A14 - perhaps they are just agents? I was also told that a lot of empty cylinders are being bought up cheaply and shipped abroad, told to me by a Harwich resident.

PeterWright

Visit site
For your convenience:
Our Cylinders | Safefill

The 5 kg Safe-fill bottle is taller than the 3.9 kg Calor bottle.

I will need to modify the gas locker to take mine. The drain must be at the very bottom of the locker and above the water line, so I plan to raise the lid a few inches somehow.

There are suppliers around, but you have to look for them. You never need to run out of gas, as you can fill a part empty bottle whenever it is convenient.

PS, edit They are expensive to buy.

Hi Lucy,

Many thanks for that. I suspect neither the height nor the diameter will fit in Wild Thyme's gas locker, which is a shame, but I will measure up next time I'm aboard. Raising the lid is not a sensible option because the lid is flush in the side deck where we wouldn't want the tripping hazard.

However the information is just what I need to assess this option. Can you disclose just how expensive they are to buy? The price doesn't seem obvious on their website, but then neither did the dimensions to a technophobe like me!

Peter

CliveG

Visit site
The 2.7kg Gaslow cylinders easily fit in gas lockers and can be refilled at Morrisons filling stations.
I filled the 2 I have for around £5 last year.
Gaslow

oldgit

Visit site
Perhaps just hang on a bit until Dyson perfects a mini "fusion" cooker/heater and wait for the cheap chinese knock offs appearing on ebay a few months afterwards ?

Lucy52

Visit site
For your convenience:
Our Cylinders | Safefill

The 5 kg Safe-fill bottle is taller than the 3.9 kg Calor bottle.

I will need to modify the gas locker to take mine. The drain must be at the very bottom of the locker and above the water line, so I plan to raise the lid a few inches somehow.

There are suppliers around, but you have to look for them. You never need to run out of gas, as you can fill a part empty bottle whenever it is convenient.

PS, edit They are expensive to buy.

Thank you for your patience, I have been busy elsewhere. I paid £194 for a 5 kg Safe-fill bottle which takes 8.5 litres of gas. I currently pay 79.9 pence per litre, so that's £6.79 to fill. At the same rate, a 3.9 kg Calor bottle would cost 3.9/5 × 6.79 = £5.30. Yet, I have paid variously from £18 to £24 for a Calor exchange. Your mileage may vary.
I bought my Safe-fill bottle from Somerset Safe-fill, you have to phone around places to get a quote. During Covid-19, there was a great demand for gas bottles, and I had to wait for mine.
Other suppliers bottles are similarly priced, and larger bottles work out cheaper per kg. If you don't use much gas, then the payback would take longer.

There is a lot on the internet, for example:
Refillable LPG Propane Bottles For Caravans/Motorhomes in 2023

oldgit

Visit site
Just been to a caravan shop on the Isle of Sheppey.
They will not be stocking the small Flogas bottles.
Have now discover that Morrisons will be stopping LPG in year or twos time, bang goes Safefill ?

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
If you are carefull there are loads of videos on YouTube and you can buy the bits on eBay so that you can refil smaller bottles from the larger ones. Against Color’s rules but then do the rules apply anymore if they are doing what they are doing

oldgit

Visit site
Perhaps we could all get together and arrange to turn up at CALORs head office en masse and leave on their doorstep the years and years of inherited rusty old gas bottles we all have in our sheds and garages.

Calor Gas Limited
Athena House, Athena Drive Tachbrook Park, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 6RL
Mr Matthew HickinManaging Director
Emailmhickin@calor.co.uk

Keith 66

Visit site
Sounds to me that Calor are taking lessons from BOC supplier of industrial gases. They have always charged an annual rental on any of their compressed gases & over recent years have really tightened up on the availability & filling of 3rd party bottles.
To the extent if you have no account with them & take any bottle in one of their depots they just take their property back.
Annual rent on a size Y hobby user bottle of welding gas is £74 a year, then refill & environmental surcharge on top every time you want a refill. Annual rent on one of their small propane bottles £33.70 every year. Fixed charge for customer collection of £22.49 as well.
,https://www.boconline.co.uk/en/images/industrial-gases-price-list-uk_tcm410-573314.pdf,

Keith 66

Visit site
And if you think that is steep the annual rental for a size Y Argon bottle for Tig welding is £173.70
Now you know why stainless steel fittings cost so much!
My bottle is going back tomorow.