BVI

jono_howlett

Visit site
Hi All,

Im thinking of chartering in the BVI in the early part of next year. Does anyone have any information on how the Islands are recovering from the hurricane?

thanks

Jonathan

geem

Visit site
Hi All,

Im thinking of chartering in the BVI in the early part of next year. Does anyone have any information on how the Islands are recovering from the hurricane?

thanks

Jonathan

Speaking to a few sailors here in Bonaire who have friends with boats there. Its a mess. I would cetainly not consider chartering there. Far better down in the Grenadines in my opinion

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Antigua St Lucia and Grenada all have direct flights. Both the BVI and USVI are still a mess. They are trying hard to get open for the winter season but there will be gaps in service and I think big gaps.

But the chart briefing will know what is open and what is not. I expect Foxies will be open Saba in North Sound should be open but there is little chance of the big resort there being open.

geem

Visit site
Regardless of whether boats are available, why would you want to spend your hard earned cash on visiting somewhere where the infrastructure is trashed. If this is your annual holiday, why nor make is a nice one

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Regardless of whether boats are available, why would you want to spend your hard earned cash on visiting somewhere where the infrastructure is trashed. If this is your annual holiday, why nor make is a nice one

Spending your money there would help, in a small way, to inject some much needed capital into their economy.
Anyhow, in my experience, a charter holiday is more about being on the boat than being in the country. In fact you could be anywhere.

geem

Visit site
Spending your money there would help, in a small way, to inject some much needed capital into their economy.
Anyhow, in my experience, a charter holiday is more about being on the boat than being in the country. In fact you could be anywhere.
Not if there are no restaurants, power, places to get water, shops and place looks like a hurricane has gone through it.....
The BVIs looks like it has been designed by Disney. Its not the real Caribbean. There are few real locals. Its a tourist strip for charter boats when its not hit by a hurricane. When its hit by a hurricane it has even less to offer IMHO. A fellow cruiser on a nice big expensive Catana 47 told me yesterday the BVIS were the worst place he had been in the Caribbean. It is also my worst place but what is one mans meat is another mans poison.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>A fellow cruiser on a nice big expensive Catana 47 told me yesterday the BVIS were the worst place he had been in the Caribbean.

It's the most popular charter area in the world, not the worst place in the Caribbean.

geem

Visit site
>A fellow cruiser on a nice big expensive Catana 47 told me yesterday the BVIS were the worst place he had been in the Caribbean.

It's the most popular charter area in the world, not the worst place in the Caribbean.
Which is why its the worst place in the Caribbean.......
South coast of Cuba next for us. Hundreds of miles of stunning coast and just a handful of boats

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to disagree!

The BVI is one of the best charter destinations in the world. Its far from the worst place in the Caribbean. That's just an ignorant comment.
You have more options for provisions right now in the BVI, Than you will have in Cuba.......

people might find this link useful about what a sailors life is line there right now, whats open/not etc

https://www.latesail.com/en-uk/blog...ail&utm_term=0_da9bde1585-ce734e2c80-52115877

Heckler

Visit site
No Restaurants, power, places to get water, shops etc etc ----- And you want to go to Cuba?
I suggest if this is the type of sailor you are, you may want to go elsewhere. the beauty of sailing in Cuba, is exactly all of this!
My mate who wrote the PBO article about Irma has just arrived there, first charter on the 9th, they are up and running.
Stu

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Well one of the biggest and glitziest resorts will not be open this winter. The Bitter End is closed.

Bitter End is temporarily closed due to the destruction caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. Our hearts are with the Bitter End Yacht Club team and our friends and neighbors throughout the Caribbean. What has made Bitter End so unique over the last 40 years is the people that work and live in Virgin Gorda and our guests that visit from across the globe. In response to the overwhelming outreach from our guests, we have set up a relief fund to support the employees of Bitter End and the Virgin Gorda community rebuild.

One of my favorite bars Saba Rock is closed.

As a result of hurricane Irma, we will be closed for repairs and the timeline is uncertain. We will update this information as we get closer to our reopening date.

The British Virgin Islands will be back and your coming back will make all the difference to the local economy. The Saba Rock family is very thankful for your many hundreds of notes in support.

To our many hundreds of thousands of guests throughout the years, we thank you so much!

Jonathan & David – Saba Rock

However Foxys on Jost Van Dyke is open and the Dec 31st Toga party promises to be an epic celebration.

Last edited:

benlui

Caribbean-South IRL-East Coast UK and everywhere e
Visit site
no need for speculation, its up and running again, and promising a great charter holiday to be had.

Its still much more "first world" than many other popular sailing destinations. I can assure you, you can get boats there, many charter companies are in swing again.
Give the locals a chance and help to re-build. Were very quick to put our backs on a place that seems to be suffering form a natural disaster when actually we should be pooling together to do what we can to help their economy......

Shame on some of the airlines who canceled their schedules for the entire season. Total over reaction, and now there already scheduling flights back again earlier than expected.