Buying my first motor boat any suggestions

simonfraser

Visit site
Hi Maxi,

some great suggestions, however if you have never owned a mobo you may wish to look at the maintenance side too

access to some parts can be a nightmare, stern gear may be trouble, or do you have a slush fund for some one else to sort it all ?

perhaps post a seperate thread 'what to look out for in a second hand mobo £150k' or similar

oldgit

Visit site
e.g. the type of boat where you feel as if you are still stuck indoors.

Flybridges make a lot of sense in the larger sizes, or where you are going to be spending a lot of time onboard / overnight.
But you can actually get paid for driving a bus :ROFLMAO:
(Apologies in advance to all Flybridge owners)
:)
Was going to suggest that a nice SC35 would be a excellent choice for those lacking a curious predilection for zips, baffling mecano kits of interlocking stainless tubing and peering through misted up PVC windows.
Mind you putting up the covers and taking them down again, on other so called Sports Boats,. on a average UK summer day usually will ensure that your crew will be quietly clicking on the "Flybridges For Sale" section of the brokers websites on their damp return to shore
Have a SC35 parked just across the pontoon from me.
Shame it never came with S****s.

Last edited:

Farmer Piles

Visit site
I agree with a previous post in that, go and look at as many boats as you can in the size range. My wife and I spent many hours, happy hours, wandering up and down marina pontoons just looking at the boats on the water - not ones for sale, just general privately owned boats. So many boats look great in pictures and online but just don't quite do it for you in the flesh. Given the number of marinas in the Chichester-Southampton area you will have no problem doing some browsing. Similarly going to look at boats for sale; we found ourselves disappointed with boats that were on our wishlist and pleasantly surprized by some that weren't.
Also, make sure that the internal layout works for you and your wife - for example a galley below frees up space in the cabin and cockpit area but can be quite seasick inducing if you are prone to that.
On the hull front; if speed is not a big factor then maybe look at a shaft drive boat rather than outdrives. The boat is more planted and will tend to ride better if it is a semi-displacement hull on shafts and the maintenance costs tend to be much higher on outdrives. My boat, an Aquador 32, is shaft drive and not the fastest but she will cruise at 14kts which actually gets you from A to B at an alright pace and it is a very comfortable ride.

PS, I found the guys at Blackrock Brokerage in Chichester really professional and extremely helpful when I was boat hunting

Good luck with the search. slightly daunting but very exciting.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Also, make sure that the internal layout works for you and your wife - for example a galley below frees up space in the cabin and cockpit area but can be quite seasick inducing if you are prone to that.

Very good point and one that is usually not considered. Fortunately my wife has good sea legs but I really don’t like it down there when we are at anchor.

Bouba

Visit site
I agree with a previous post in that, go and look at as many boats as you can in the size range. My wife and I spent many hours, happy hours, wandering up and down marina pontoons just looking at the boats on the water - not ones for sale, just general privately owned boats. So many boats look great in pictures and online but just don't quite do it for you in the flesh. Given the number of marinas in the Chichester-Southampton area you will have no problem doing some browsing. Similarly going to look at boats for sale; we found ourselves disappointed with boats that were on our wishlist and pleasantly surprized by some that weren't.
On the hull front; if speed is not a big factor then maybe look at a shaft drive boat rather than outdrives. The boat is more planted and will tend to ride better if it is a semi-displacement hull on shafts and the maintenance costs tend to be much higher on outdrives. My boat, an Aquador 32, is shaft drive and not the fastest but she will cruise at 14kts which actually gets you from A to B at an alright pace and it is a very comfortable ride.

PS, I found the guys at Blackrock Brokerage in Chichester really professional and extremely helpful when I was boat hunting

If somebody is seriously interested in buying a boat and approaches me on the dock, I will always invite them onboard…

Maxy24

Visit site
That looks amazing for a 15 year old boat!......not at all like a before, more like a after Mr Googler has done with it 👍
You set a limit of 11 meters but at 11.3M you could go for a S37 at the lower end of your budget or later S38 for more. This may give you the space you desire.
As an example of my sold boat
Sealine S37 Sports Cruiser 9042356 – Burton Waters Boat Sales
Think 2001 is a bit old prefer to go for 2008/9 if possible

Maxy24

Visit site
If you mean “ comfort “ as riding smoothly through waves , then look for a high dead rise boat .
Google “dead rise and seakeeping “ to get a handle on this term .
Then with that bit of education look at the Windy range .Plenty to go at there .
I meant comfort as in quality of the build, but you are right the ride will come into that

Maxy24

Visit site
S38 is a great boat with great space inside. But then I'm biased.
Happy to show you around mine anytime. Based on the Hamble.
That’s kind, thank you, we’ve looked at the S38 beautiful boat but bit too large for us on our 1st go

Maxy24

Visit site

Thanks for the advice, trying to take it all in, and yes we are excited to start

Maxy24

Visit site
Having previously owned a Targa 35 and an S34 and considered/looked at a lot of sports cruisers over the years a Fairline Targa 37 would be on my list if we were in that market again. Finding a nice one would be important because all those that we looked at in the past left a lot to be desired.

This thread prompted me to look at the details of one I have seen on with NYA here and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is a very tidy boat. Love these boats - great lines and a lovely layout and this one appears to have been looked after.

NYA are a great outfit to deal with as well.
Looks really good, but don’t want to jump into something too large to begin with trying to keep to maximum 11 as it’s our first boat, feel we want to find our way first.

Maxy24

Visit site
Hi Maxi,

some great suggestions, however if you have never owned a mobo you may wish to look at the maintenance side too

access to some parts can be a nightmare, stern gear may be trouble, or do you have a slush fund for some one else to sort it all ?

perhaps post a seperate thread 'what to look out for in a second hand mobo £150k' or similar
Yes I know the costs can mount up so think one engine might be where we start

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Oh I didn’t know that, why is it difficult, curious to understand?
None of my single engines had a bow thruster which would have helped but (for me) it’s the inability to move the bow side to side which of course you can do with one prop one way and the other “tuther”
With skill everything can be achieved with a single prop but I never got there.

Maxy24

Visit site
None of my single engines had a bow thruster which would have helped but it’s the inability to move the bow side to side which of course you can do with one prop one way and the other “tuther”
With skill everything can be achieved with a single prop but I never got there.
Oh I can see that, that makes sense, thank you