Buying my first motor boat any suggestions

Greg2

Visit site
Looks really good, but don’t want to jump into something too large to begin with trying to keep to maximum 11 as it’s our first boat, feel we want to find our way first.

That is fair enough but that is what virtually everyone says and very quickly realise that their first boat is not quite what they want and something a little bigger would be better so costs (and hassle) to change become a factor. Our first 32 footer just about lasted two seasons before we changed for a 37 footer.

For what it is worth there is very little difference in terms of handling and running costs between a 10/11m boat and a 12m boat but obviously you need to do what you are comfortable with 😁

Last edited:

harvey38

Visit site
I knew what kind of boat I wanted and after going onboard a few, it was apparent pretty soon realised I didn't!

We ended up with an older vessel that needed updating but has a large, bright, comfortable saloon, a lower galley and dinette with plenty of space and sitting out space on the upper deck.

Make a list of your priorities you are looking for then as others have suggested, look at as many boats as you can but remember, every boat is a compromise unless you go very big!

Maxy24

Visit site
That is fair enough but that is what virtually everyone says and very quickly realise that their first boat is not quite what they want and something a little bigger would be better so costs (and hassle) to change become a factor. Our first 32 footer just about lasted two seasons before we changed for a 37 footer.

For what it is worth there is very little difference in terms of handling and running costs between a 10/11m boat and a 12m boat but obviously you need to do what you are comfortable with 😁
Thank you that’s reassuring I will go looking with an open mind

Maxy24

Visit site
I knew what kind of boat I wanted and after going onboard a few, it was apparent pretty soon realised I didn't!

We ended up with an older vessel that needed updating but has a large, bright, comfortable saloon, a lower galley and dinette with plenty of space and sitting out space on the upper deck.

Make a list of your priorities you are looking for then as others have suggested, look at as many boats as you can but remember, every boat is a compromise unless you go very big!
I think you are right need to view lots and see what’s the best fit

oldgit

Visit site
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands............
Never ever wander over to any boat and inquire of the skipper as to why his boat is so much better than anything else out there.
If you really want to lose the will to live , ask whats not working on his (always his) boat at the moment and how much its going to cost to fix.
Double that amount.

Bouba

Visit site
First rule is never buy a head banger boat....find a boat you like, have a good poke around in all the nooks and crannies...if you bang your head more than three times...it’s not the boat for you

Maxy24

Visit site
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands............
Never ever wander over to any boat and inquire of the skipper as to why his boat is so much better than anything else out there.
If you really want to lose the will to live , ask whats not working on his (always his) boat at the moment and how much its going to cost to fix.
Double that amount.
I’ll remember that…

Farmer Piles

Visit site
As Oldgit says, just talk to people on their boat, we are all suckers for a compliment - especially if it's about boat, dog, child. We have met some really interesting people and been shown around their fantastic boats in the past.

oldgit

Visit site
Some (not me) might compare choosing a boat to that of finding a significant other.
You have decided previously exactly what you need in your minds eye, marinas are full of sleek racy curvey little numbers promising a James Bond lifestyle .

The mundane truth is that a somewhat more practical and comfortable number will enventually prove to be of far greater worth.
James Bond ? , more Peter Stringfellow. Undoing poppers does lose its attractions over time.:ROFLMAO:

Maxy24

Visit site
Some (not me) might compare choosing a boat to that of finding a significant other.
You have decided previously exactly what you need in your minds eye, marinas are full of sleek racy curvey little numbers promising a James Bond lifestyle .

The mundane truth is that a somewhat more practical and comfortable number will enventually prove to be of far greater worth.
James Bond ? , more Peter Stringfellow. Undoing poppers does lose its attractions over time.:ROFLMAO:
Oh don’t spoil my dream, can’t I have a bit of both, glamourous sleek lines on the outside & practical comfy sofas on the in 😂

Bouba

Visit site

Perhaps Maxy24 shouldn’t show that to the wife🤔😳🤣😂🥰

Farmer Piles

Visit site

I am sure your other half appreciates the reference! Or did you go for the sleek, racy model with the inherent high running costs? SWMBO I mean.