Buying my first motor boat any suggestions

Maxy24

Visit site
Hi I’m new to this forum and hoping I’m in the right place to post, looking to buy our first motor boat, preferably 10 -11m budget £100/£150k, comfort being the most important thing, look to moor around Chichester and tootle around that coast but not far. Looking at Bavaria 32ht, fair line targa 34, sealine sc35, etc any suggestions, it being a good clean boat the most important thing, but how do you check it’s not stolen and is genuine, I know we will get a survey and sea trial but any other pointers greatfully received, thank you.

Gman1001

Visit site
Hey Maxy,
Also had these questions a few years back and ended up going for a Farline 30 Targa which is at Chichester. Having moved up from a Merry Fisher 795 the comfort side is so much better and believe your looking at the right boats for comfort. Ended up buying via a broker and independent survey etc so assume they take care of the checks regarding stolen boats etc, most of these boats will should have well documented history. Good luck

Maxy24

Visit site
Hey Maxy,
Also had these questions a few years back and ended up going for a Farline 30 Targa which is at Chichester. Having moved up from a Merry Fisher 795 the comfort side is so much better and believe your looking at the right boats for comfort. Ended up buying via a broker and independent survey etc so assume they take care of the checks regarding stolen boats etc, most of these boats will should have well documented history. Good luck
Hi thanks for that its just so daunting trying to make sure you do all your due diligence

Tranona

Visit site
Fairly straightforward. As suggested if you buy through a broker they will have done all that work before listing and should be able to dhow you the file before you make your offer. The key documents are a trail of Bills of Sale, ideally an original invoice to the first owner and a Builders Certificate, Registration if on Part 1 and maintenance records, particularly engines and drives. Stolen boats are rare as unlike cars it is difficult to both clone and hide them. Finance against the boat is possible, but lenders normally require the loan to be registered against the boat or they retain the original documents as security. If dealing direct with the owner then look for the same documents or you can employ a broker to do all the checking and handling of money for you.

Good luck with your search.

Greg2

Visit site
Hi thanks for that its just so daunting trying to make sure you do all your due diligence
Edit: cross posted with Tranona 😉

The risk of buying a stolen boat in your price range is very low in reality and as advised, if you buy through a reputable broker they will check provenance including whether there is an existing mortgage on the boat ( perhaps a slightly higher risk than a stolen boat).

Paperwork you ideally want to see is a builders certificate / original invoice and Bills of Sale covering ownership of the boat throughout its life. A survey and sea trial are advised and an engineer to check over the oily bits.

Like most things that appear daunting first time round it is actually reasonably straightforward.

Maxy24

Visit site
Thank you, this is reassuring to hear, and appreciate all the advice from people in the know, we are really looking forward to getting going

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Just to share some experience of a recent seller of a boat in your price band, there are many overpriced boats on the market which just don’t shift. Mine was overpriced by about 25% and I had no interest ie potential buyers were just turning the page rather than making a sensible offer. My advice FWIW is if (when) you see a boat which you consider overpriced, make an offer!

jcwads

Visit site
As suggested, buy via a broker. At your price range you will get a nice boat, and the broker would / should have all history, reg docs and bills of sale. You have mentioned a survey and sea trial. I wholly advise you get a boat survey and in addition, a machinery survey, from a qualified marine engineer. As you’re new to this you want to be fully assured that you won’t have any nasty surprises down the line. Believe me, I’ve been there. Good luck. I’m sure others will have some great boat suggestions for you in your price range.

Maxy24

Visit site
Just to share some experience of a recent seller of a boat in your price band, there are many overpriced boats on the market which just don’t shift. Mine was overpriced by about 25% and I had no interest ie potential buyers were just turning the page rather than making a sensible offer. My advice FWIW is if (when) you see a boat which you consider overpriced, make an offer!
Thanks That’s really useful

Maxy24

Visit site
As suggested, buy via a broker. At your price range you will get a nice boat, and the broker would / should have all history, reg docs and bills of sale. You have mentioned a survey and sea trial. I wholly advise you get a boat survey and in addition, a machinery survey, from a qualified marine engineer. As you’re new to this you want to be fully assured that you won’t have any nasty surprises down the line. Believe me, I’ve been there. Good luck. I’m sure others will have some great boat suggestions for you in your price range.
I knew about the surveys and boat trial but didn’t know about the marine engineer

Seastoke

Visit site
I bought a boat that was taken in on a part exchange , the yards don’t like owning boats ,as it’s money tied up. We got just under 25K off asking price , and the other major benefit is they have to give a warranty .

Seastoke

Visit site
I bought a boat that was taken in on a part exchange , the yards don’t like owning boats ,as it’s money tied up. We got just under 25K off asking price , and the other major benefit is they have to give a warranty .
Burton waters

Seastoke

Visit site
Looking for sports boat, speed’s not a big factor- more for comfort and relaxing on
I had marine engineer do a survey, then they did repairs then he came on water trial. Which is a bit shite at Lincoln ,but we had the warranty.

SC35

Visit site
Something like this? I am biased :ROFLMAO:
https://uk.boats.com/power-boats/2010-sealine-sc35-8979875/

SC35 are not speedy boats, but they do flatten waves very effectively, feeling like a 40ft boat, and will trundle along at 22kts in most sensible conditions.
Fairline Targa 34 is faster and sportier, but you lose out on space.

Boats of this size are highly unlikely to be stolen.
But there can be problems where the "title" (e.g. chain of purchase) is not clear, and check for outstanding loans / marine mortgages.
Also, check service history.

A boat survey plus an engine survey is a must.

Last edited: