Burping shaft seals

Bouba

Visit site
Is this still a thing ?...my boat should go back in the water this week...how do I tell if I have a seal that needs burping ?

Bouba

Visit site
I don't think you should be let out on your own let alone service a boat.

Post a picture of it, what did you do in the past?
I haven’t got a good hi res photo...I’m not on the boat so I gleaned this off the internet

It’s dripless and appears to have its own water supply...so I know it could be controversial

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. Needs a quick squeeze once afloat to make sure water has got up there. also check with whoever serviced it that they squirted some grease into it. You have a positive water feed (the small black tube) so burping is belt and braces. Once you get going water from the engine will feed it

dpb

Visit site
I have exactly the same arrangement, worked out that the pipe from the top of the seal must allow it to vent to fill the tunnel with water but I vent mine anyway.
Pinch with the fingers and just a small amount of air comes out before water starts. I suspect they dont actually need burping!

Bouba

Visit site
I have exactly the same arrangement, worked out that the pipe from the top of the seal must allow it to vent to fill the tunnel with water but I vent mine anyway.
Pinch with the fingers and just a small amount of air comes out before water starts. I suspect they dont actually need burping!
Yes. Needs a quick squeeze once afloat to make sure water has got up there. also check with whoever serviced it that they squirted some grease into it. You have a positive water feed (the small black tube) so burping is belt and braces. Once you get going water from the engine will feed it
Should the prop be turning while you burp....or is it enough just for the boat to be in the water ?

Jerbro

Visit site
It’s the same as mine… a quick squeeze when it’s in the water and you will here the air come out with a satisfying pfffzzz… I put in a little bit of the Volvo blue grease in a paper straw - flatten the end and insert under the seal.. best to do that bit while it’s still out of the water though…

Plum

Visit site
I haven’t got a good hi res photo...I’m not on the boat so I gleaned this off the internet

It’s dripless and appears to have its own water supply...so I know it could be controversial
I have the same seal. On mine the water supply is from a scoop skin fitting, not pumped. Definitely needs burping. I find i don't have enough finger strength to squeeze but it is so much easier to apply a little sideways pressure to the nose.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Tomorrow I will search for some grease....there is a Volvo parts shop in Hyeres
Silicone grease will be fine if you have any. You only need 1cc. Just calculate the volume using straw diameter, squeeze in a little more than required, flatten the tip and insert into the seal. Run something flat along the straw for the distance needed to give about 1cc. Don't push the straw too far into the seal. I vaguely recollect about about 1cm under the lip is OK.

Others are correct about burping, the material is quite stiff. I find it's easy enough if you pinch between finger and thumb and lift slightly. This usually deforms the seal enough to release trapped air.

Bouba

Visit site
By some miraculous events, not only did I have straws, I also had a tube of Volvo blue grease lying around....so I applied it as per everyone’s very helpful advice 👍👍👍👍
Boat goes in the water on Friday...at which time I will burp her

Bouba

Visit site
Ok…so the boat went back in the water this morning…I squeezed the rubber seal…not very hard, and it didn’t distort at all…but it let out a satisfying hiss of air and water…so I did it again and it hissed again
So all is good…thanks everyone for your advice 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻