Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Concerto

Visit site
3.5 years down the line you have ripped out the insides and you have acquired a mast.? is there a revised timescale?
My renovation of Concerto was planned to take 2 years and is still not quite finished after 7½ years, but I have done a lot of sailing as well. Greg has a little bit more work to do than I did. That does not mean he cannot get it sailing in the near future.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It was never a viable project as soon as he started talking about revolutionary techniques, materials and failing to make it weather tight early on, no doubt at some time in the future it may take to the water but I am not holding my breath.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I watched a few boats being launched at the yard yesterday. One of them had not been in the water since before the first COVID lockdown! On the way home I popped into my favorite rigger who said they were extremely busy due to the number of boats that had not been in the water since lockdown. Perhaps we should discount the last 30 months?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I watched a few boats being launched at the yard yesterday. One of them had not been in the water since before the first COVID lockdown! On the way home I popped into my favorite rigger who said they were extremely busy due to the number of boats that had not been in the water since lockdown. Perhaps we should discount the last 30 months?

The boat was nowhere near to launching in fact it was little different to the day he bought it so the 30 months given his rate of work on it would not have got it any nearer to seeing water at least outside the hull, at last post there was still plenty inside.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
It was never a viable project as soon as he started talking about revolutionary techniques, materials and failing to make it weather tight early on, no doubt at some time in the future it may take to the water but I am not holding my breath.
You don't know him.
Stop sniping and give him some encouragement.
My build took many years longer than his is likely to and still made it to the water.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You don't know him.
Stop sniping and give him some encouragement.
My build took many years longer than his is likely to and still made it to the water.

You are right I don't know him, he actually seems quite a nice guy and has the hallmarks of being competent on the tools but for whatever reason he has taken on a project that his ambitions and ideas have turned into a saga of ineptitude vis not making the hulk ( not a misprint of hull) watertight at the outset and continuing down that route. You should go back to the very beginning and look at what he said , did and timescales, it's not sniping it is valid criticism which he has never refuted. Such criticism can be constructive if one looks at it and rationalises it against ones actions. It may be that he is quite happy to have an ongoing and never ending project that he can dip into as the whim and fancy takes him but that is very different to his original and restated aim.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
You are right I don't know him, he actually seems quite a nice guy and has the hallmarks of being competent on the tools but for whatever reason he has taken on a project that his ambitions and ideas have turned into a saga of ineptitude vis not making the hulk ( not a misprint of hull) watertight at the outset and continuing down that route. You should go back to the very beginning and look at what he said , did and timescales, it's not sniping it is valid criticism which he has never refuted. Such criticism can be constructive if one looks at it and rationalises it against ones actions. It may be that he is quite happy to have an ongoing and never ending project that he can dip into as the whim and fancy takes him but that is very different to his original and restated aim.
You don't know his personal situation either. His delay is not of his own doing.
I do know him. He is a nice guy and extremely knowledgeable.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
My Countess 33 was bought new as a hull and top side, stood in the guys garden for ten years with some work carried out. Bought by a new owner who took another three years to complete it. Surveyed, launched and sailed for three years, his wife didn't take to sailing and he wasn't experienced enough to sail it on his own, so it came on the market, I took one look at it and bought it. I've now owned it for twenty two years! (with a few modifications).

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
You don't know his personal situation either. His delay is not of his own doing.

So we are of an accord he is a nice guy he has the tool skills, you will note I have never cticised him on a personal level just the choices he has made in terms of the work and direction it has taken. We may all have different visions for such projects but the one thing he undoubtably got wrong with a capital W was in not making the boat weather tight as soon as possible at least that would have mitigated against unforeseen absence and ability to work but also provided a reasonable place of storage on work as the project moved on. Unless he did that which if memory serves when I suggested it just prior to the first lockdown he is no further forward than the day he bought the hulk and he did say he wasn't going to do it.

chrishscorp

Visit site

Yes he seems a very likable chap with a fair few practical skills up his sleeve, but it is a BIG job he has taken on by any ones measure, to then try and use some new tech ie electric drive, it is only going to elongate that build out, all the while the yard fees mount.
I for one would love to see it splashed and would happily turn up with a bottle and shake their hands.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Yes he seems a very likable chap with a fair few practical skills up his sleeve, but it is a BIG job he has taken on by any ones measure, to then try and use some new tech ie electric drive, it is only going to elongate that build out, all the while the yard fees mount.
I for one would love to see it splashed and would happily turn up with a bottle and shake their hands.

It wasn't the electric drive that raised my eyebrows it was the idea of storing hydrogen as a metal hydride and generating hydrogen from electrolysis.

steveeasy

Visit site
Greg is one of ybw iconic forum posters. We all miss his posts. We all remember another great poster Solent clown. He won’t mind being mentioned.
Too much chat and not enough action though. Still lots of fun has been had. You can’t buy that much fun.
steveeasy

Spyro

Visit site
I think the point is he said he would do it in 6 months . He was told that it couldn’t be done but wouldn’t listen to any advice.

William_H

Visit site
Well the world is full of dreamers and in fact so much the better for it. Boating seems to be almost entirely based on dreams and promises. As witnessed by the number of boats that just sit never used. The modern phenomena of blogs (in this case via forum) where a person gets the urge to describe their dreams and plans in such a way that every one knows the plan. Then when it all goes to worms it looks worse than ever. I guess you could say nothing has changed since Donald Crowhurst.
Anyway good luck to Greg if he has to back out of the project he would not be the first and no great shame on him. ol'will

Wansworth

Visit site
Well the world is full of dreamers and in fact so much the better for it. Boating seems to be almost entirely based on dreams and promises. As witnessed by the number of boats that just sit never used. The modern phenomena of blogs (in this case via forum) where a person gets the urge to describe their dreams and plans in such a way that every one knows the plan. Then when it all goes to worms it looks worse than ever. I guess you could say nothing has changed since Donald Crowhurst.
Anyway good luck to Greg if he has to back out of the project he would not be the first and no great shame on him. ol'will
Well. Said

Keith 66

Visit site
The GRP equivalent of "Ship Happens", I will look in in another 4 years & see if there is any progress.

But dont mind me, my current project has only been underway for 25 years, cant rush perfection.;)