Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Re: VIDEO UPDATE. 005 the Lady itself.

Just a small update.
We’ve been busy with testing and trying a new outboard in Wales. Saw a lot of puffins, some Dolphins and quite a few seals.
I’m afraid the Admiral Wife decreed a week of peace and quiet in the beautiful coastline of Wales.
On a positive note I also had a double flat and a broken spring that cost me £300 of repairs, just by driving in the beautiful roads that lead to Skomer island. Expensive Puffins..
If all goes well we will be moving tomorrow after the Welsh expedition interlude.
PS. I did see a Mermaid, and it turned out to be my wife.

Surprised you didn't knock a new tyre and spring up from some stuff in the hedgerow :)

Nearly 2 months in and still not even got the hull moved, not looking good for the end of season launch :(

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

Surprised you didn't knock a new tyre and spring up from some stuff in the hedgerow :)

Nearly 2 months in and still not even got the hull moved, not looking good for the end of season launch :(

It always had to do with the state were going to find the hull as we peel. Good= fast, more surprises = more tea breaks and head scratching exercises sometimes eating Cornwallian scones others Dorsetian depending on the severity of the head scratching and jam available. ( we may throw in some Scottish Scones )

Be warned tho.. Sit down to watch when we start repairing. ( you have been warned :p )

lpdsn

Visit site

Yeah, it's the same used for contrutction in minus temps. 360 V Industrial heating.

Industrial supply used to be 415V. Slightly less now after they downgraded 240V to 230V. Can the marina give you that?

GregOddity

Visit site
Lifting Update !

So after studying the plans quite a few talks with structural Eng.’s and signing a form for the Marina, we are about to take delivery of the 10 telescopic acrow. We will use them to strengthen the boat so that the low loader will not squeeze the hull to catastrophic failure when moving. The hull does seem sound but having stood for at least 2 decades it stands to reason to make sure that we have as much structural support as possible when lifting and moving. It will be lowered into metal cradles that will offer more security as the logs we have supporting the boat.
So Tuesday when were all happy with the internal reinforcements the boat will be lifted and moved to a new position to allow more space so we can work around it. Thursday we will have a surveyor and after a few aspirins on Friday morning, we will then decide how best to proceed.
We also have identified the water line moulded into the hull and started marking it so that we can redo it after peeling of the gelcoat. Today was spent running after various bits and bobs and getting the all shebang in order so that we can also fit new drains on the cockpit leading to the through hull holes directly to minimize water ingress.
Another great day of sailing and martinis on the Club Shed of our Marina. Ahhh the fancy life of Yacht owners.

GregOddity

Visit site

Industrial supply used to be 415V. Slightly less now after they downgraded 240V to 230V. Can the marina give you that?

Yes but a bit too far for my leads, but the local shipwright has agreed to let us uses his. As it happens the boat is going to sit close to him only about 30m or so from his place. The marina does have Three-Phase but really far. Sadly

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

Yes but a bit too far for my leads, but the local shipwright has agreed to let us uses his. As it happens the boat is going to sit close to him only about 30m or so from his place. The marina does have Three-Phase but really far. Sadly

I have lost track of how you plan to dry out the hull so forgive the question, are you going to vacuum it as well as heat it? The reason I ask is that if you are just planing tho heat it in an attempt to drive the water out it is unlikely to work. to dry what is essentially a porous body you need to have a mechanism for the water to migrate from within that body to the surface and then evaporate ie the water is "wicked" out, that mechanism is capillary attraction and osmotic pressure, which relies on a continuous presence of water between the inner body and the surface. If you break that by simply drying the surface skin then the mechanism breaks down and the process stops.

GregOddity

Visit site

I have lost track of how you plan to dry out the hull so forgive the question, are you going to vacuum it as well as heat it? The reason I ask is that if you are just planing tho heat it in an attempt to drive the water out it is unlikely to work. to dry what is essentially a porous body you need to have a mechanism for the water to migrate from within that body to the surface and then evaporate ie the water is "wicked" out, that mechanism is capillary attraction and osmotic pressure, which relies on a continuous presence of water between the inner body and the surface. If you break that by simply drying the surface skin then the mechanism breaks down and the process stops.

I intend to use an industrial grade vacuum pump together with heat. I happen to own one that I use mostly for desiccating mixtures but it produces a very high vacuum coefficient. Together with heat it will lower the boiling point and evacuate the fluids. (to a great extent)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
To resurrect the thread and nudge Gregg who might be in a hospital cardio ward having had his surveyors report. I have a nagging interest to see how the project is doing or not. He might be interested in looking at this video as well.

GregOddity

Visit site
To resurrect the thread and nudge Gregg who might be in a hospital cardio ward having had his surveyors report. I have a nagging interest to see how the project is doing or not. He might be interested in looking at this video as well.

I’m slowly recovering from the shock and sipping lemon tea, No time for anything this days ;)