Botnia Targa vs. Sargo

GSY85

Visit site
Evening everyone,

In my continued search for the next boat, I’m becoming more drawn towards wheelhouse / walk-around style of boat. We have sea trialed the new Targa 27.2 and whilst we really liked it we think we would make the step up to the 30.1 if we move ahead.

I know the relative trade-offs of the lack of accommodation and that the styling of the Targas wouldn’t suit everyone but for our intended boating in the Channel Islands (with a dog) I think the Targa would suit us well and enable us to use the boat more often, especially on those ‘average’ days.

In the interests of avoiding a one-horse race, are there any members that can offer any experience of Sargo, and perhaps how they compare to the Targa? The styling seems a bit more modern if nothing else and they, at least on the face of it, seem to have a similar heritage to Botnia.

As always, any experiences or opinions of either boats is gratefully received.
Best,
Jack

gordmac

Visit site
Have you also looked at Nordstar? I think Google might turn up some tests of this type of boat?
Just thought might also be worth looking at Aquador cabin boats.

NBs

Visit site

Hi,

I don't take a position on the design and decor they have in the taste of things, but if you have seaworthiness is important, then these Botnia Targa is the absolute place 1.

NBs

CLB

Visit site
Sargo is just as good as Targa IMHO, and I have been out on both. My own order of preference would be:

Sargo
Targa
Nordstar

I think with Sargo and Targa you can allow it to come down to price and design features, as they are equally as good as each other. Nordstar are OK, but not in quite the same league as the other two. You really should make the effort to sea trial a Sargo before committing.

mcgeeky

Visit site
Hi Jack. I am a Sargo owner for about 2 and half years, starting with the 28 and now with a 36 Explorer. I thoroughly recommend the wheelhouse/walkaround style of boat - the main draws being safety for my family as we can move around the boat confidently thanks to the high bulwarks and rails, and that due to being built for all seasons we have access to the water all year round.

Whilst you lose some internal accommodation with the walkaround you gain usable outside space; the seating on the bow, the walkaround you can access from the side doors, large cockpit and swim platform. We use our Sargo all year round and have been out in challenging conditions - she handles it all very well. And during good weather we can enjoy the outside spaces. Accommodation is well laid out and comfortable, even in the 28.

In terms of comparison to the Targa (which we had a sea trial on) whilst there is no doubting it has the sea-worthiness for me the Sargo won out.

I recommend contacting Tina and Richard from Sargo UK at Hamble Point Marina. I know they have at least one Sargo in the Channel Islands with another due for delivery soon. They are friendly, helpful and not of the pushy sales disposition.

Myles

GSY85

Visit site
Sargo is just as good as Targa IMHO, and I have been out on both. My own order of preference would be:

Sargo
Targa
Nordstar

I think with Sargo and Targa you can allow it to come down to price and design features, as they are equally as good as each other. Nordstar are OK, but not in quite the same league as the other two. You really should make the effort to sea trial a Sargo before committing.

Hi there,

Many thanks indeed - I shall definitely look more seriously at the Sargo. Thanks for sharing your views.

Cheers
Jack

GSY85

Visit site
Hi Jack. I am a Sargo owner for about 2 and half years, starting with the 28 and now with a 36 Explorer. I thoroughly recommend the wheelhouse/walkaround style of boat - the main draws being safety for my family as we can move around the boat confidently thanks to the high bulwarks and rails, and that due to being built for all seasons we have access to the water all year round.

Whilst you lose some internal accommodation with the walkaround you gain usable outside space; the seating on the bow, the walkaround you can access from the side doors, large cockpit and swim platform. We use our Sargo all year round and have been out in challenging conditions - she handles it all very well. And during good weather we can enjoy the outside spaces. Accommodation is well laid out and comfortable, even in the 28.

In terms of comparison to the Targa (which we had a sea trial on) whilst there is no doubting it has the sea-worthiness for me the Sargo won out.

I recommend contacting Tina and Richard from Sargo UK at Hamble Point Marina. I know they have at least one Sargo in the Channel Islands with another due for delivery soon. They are friendly, helpful and not of the pushy sales disposition.

Myles

Hi Myles,

Thank you so much for the post and providing first-hand experience. I’m encouraged by the comments and reviews I’m finding on the Sargo so I shall definitely get in touch with them as you suggest.

Cheers,
Jack

spannerman

Visit site
Hi,

Here's another challenge for three Finnish boats from Sweden in the same series, Pargon 31.

https://www.mby.com/reviews/wheelhouse-walkaround/paragon-yachts-paragon-31

NBs
The Paragon is absolutely awesome to drive in lumpy seas, I have delivered several of these and can confirm that you can keep the speed up when charging into head seas, I remember doing 35 knts into 1 1/2 m waves and it was the closest thing to a knife through butter. The Targa also handles head seas well but with a different motion, it shoulders aside the waves without any slamming whatsoever. Its not for nothing they call it the Landrover of the sea! And its interesting how many harbour authorities and others that need an all weather boat use Targa’s.

Last edited:

NBs

Visit site

Hi,

If you are interested, then link a very comprehensive presentation of the boat and its interesting solutions. Speech is German, but the picture material is international and you get a great rewiew out of what this boat is��

https://youtu.be/wMxJxNNpSBM

"Spannerman" nice to hear about your experience with Pargo boats, I think they are pretty cool and deviate from design + seakeaping it's pretty good for a boater who is looking walking around type boat.

NBs

Last edited:

ss2016

Visit site
Mcgeeky, I was interested to see you owned a Sargo 28. I am currently thinking of treading the same path (or following in your wake). Its for myself and partner for some extended exploration. In your view was it big enough to live on for an extended period. The heads, cabin, storage? The wheelhouse is fine. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Segway ..

Here's a Norwegian built ... already used as a SAR vessel by the Norwegian rescue service (not cheap though) ... 42 foot, near 50 knot potential and available in a number of configurations ... (they also have a 27 footer ...)... https://hydrolift.com/

P-42-SUV-hydrolift-image-1023x681-01-1.jpg

mcgeeky

Visit site
Mcgeeky, I was interested to see you owned a Sargo 28. I am currently thinking of treading the same path (or following in your wake). Its for myself and partner for some extended exploration. In your view was it big enough to live on for an extended period. The heads, cabin, storage? The wheelhouse is fine. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks.

We didn't have extended trips away in the 28 however we did manage fine with 5 of us (2 adults, 3 children) for two consecutive nights. With 5 people the 28 did feel a little "close" hence the upgrade to the 36 however with only 2 people on the 28 I would be confident you would be perfectly fine on extended trips. Plenty of storage available and very roomy for 2 people. We removed the table from the wheelhouse to make it feel more spacious, storing it in the mid cabin but perhaps you wouldn't need to with only 2 people on-board.

TheCoach

Visit site
Hey Jack, this is the exact path we are currently walking. Looking to purchase next year and have been doing a lot of research. The walk around and go anywhere ability is a key for us, two up plus dog and planning on using on the West Coast of Scotland. Everyone you listen too seems to rave about the seakeeping qualities of these Nordic designs.

No sea trials yet but having been onboard both at SIBS this year and doing a lot of reading/watching, top of our list is a Sargo. We just found the interior felt much more modern and tactile than the Targa and a nicer place to be which given we want to use it as an overnighter as well seemed important.

That said buying new is not cheap, even for the 28 we are looking at. We have also researched Nordstar, Paragon and Aquastar which give you different price points, especially on the Paragon's which seem to be more available at older ages.

Let us know how you get on as really interested in your experiences. FYI Sargo UK have just posted a 28 for sale last week that they are moving down from Largs to the Hamble, 2016 for ~£150k if memory serves me.

Cheers,
TC

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
Where I live over here in Gran Canaria a good friend from the UK keeps both his Targa's.....yep he owns two here, well in fact he owns three but the other he keeps in Norway!
Ones here are a 44 which is circa 15yrs old and a brand spanking new 32 which he brought over from the UK by sea a few months ago, took him 4 days!!!!
Both boats are superb but I have to say that the 32 is out of this world....
45 knots with the D6400's, breathtaking acceleration, superb build and built like a brick outhouse!
Can't comment on your other choices but thought it worthy of adding my thoughts.
PS I'd be more than happy to put you in touch with the owner if you'd like to pick his brains.

Bandit

Visit site
In Guernsey there are lots of these types of boats, Paragons, many Botnia Targas, and more recently a couple of Sargo 36 and a 28.

A chap I know bought a Sargo 28 and found it too small and chopped it in for a 36.

My brother in law has a Targa 31, and he is over the moon with it.

If you want to sleep on it and do some reasonable distances, as a couple or possibly with friends, beer tokens aside I would not go much smaller than a Targa 31, twin engine and great sea keeping.

Personally I would go for a Sargo 36 , minimum 2 x 370 hp, a great boat and very well thought out. They have really neat drying legs that go through the swim platform.