Boomstrut

zoidberg

Visit site
I've acquired a Barton Boomstrut and am now looking to fit it. I'm questioning whether it is worth the effort - or should I better fork out for a more conventional b'strut?

cpedw

Visit site
I've never had a conventional boomstrut with a spring but I've worked with a Barton for 4 years now. It's no trouble, it does what I expect it to and doesn't look like failing in the foreseeable. If I had a bit of daring, I could get rid off the topping lift; it hasn't been active since fitting the Barton.

It needs a fairly powerful kicker to counteract it. That might be because it's stronger than needed - I spent a long time trying to calculate which size to get. May not have got it quite right though there's a limited choice. Fitting was pretty straightforward for a cack-handed enthusiast. I'm surprised there are not more of them about.

Derek

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Fitted one several years ago when the topping lift broke and I was unable to, easily, replace it.
It's been great, does exactly what it should and doesn't look like wearing out any time soon.
I still haven't managed to replace the topping lift...

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I most like the idea of not having the faff of a topping lift, which seems so often to requires adjusting (and a trip to the mast) yet again because it's slightly too tight or too loose, and also doing away with the annoying 'singing' of the tense topping lift in the wind when the sails are down and it's supporting the boom.

On the other hand, it's good to have the topping lift (whether in use or not) as a 'spare' should the main (or other) halyard fail (not that that's ever happened to me). I would also miss being able to scandalise the main. I do it only rarely, but it's a very valuable technique on occasion. (As I understand it, the Boomstrut's 'spring' rods pop out if you lift the boom too far, even if you have a line available to press into service as a temporary topping lift.)

As I don't have a couple of hundred pounds burning a hole in my pocket, nor a shortage of boat maintenance jobs, I guess I'll never have one, but I do have a sneaking yen to try one.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I fitted one years ago and it's excellent. Does what it says on the tin! The old topping lift now secured to the backstay as an emergency main halliard. Much cheaper than the more usual rigid kicker.

jamie N

Visit site
The boomstrut would appear to be 2 short pieces of a GRP tent pole, with a fitting at either end with a price between £179-£379.
I've never seen one in Scotland, and wonder whether our National attitude to prudence & thrift is why?
Only a 'Yottie'...... :giggle:

Neeves

Visit site
We had no vang, kicker, strut on Josepheline (a cat). You need something to support the boom when reefing and the obvious device is a topping lift - but it needs to be of a precise length to avoid ripping the cabin roof off with the boom. If the topping lift is too short you cannot flatten the mainsail and the distance between too long and too short was not much. We had no topping lift on commissioning, the lazy jacks supported to boom - we soon added a topping lift (which then got caught on the battens when raising sail).

To me it was a design fault - the mast was wrapped round by the saloon - so there was no room for a strut - the desire for accomodation not sailing performance.

I was not one to complain about sailing performance

Jonathan