Boom Claw Westerly 22

G

My boat lacks a kicking strap due to roller reefing on the boom so a claw would be the answer.Can anyone advise what size would be required and maybe a source?

G

i ordered a boom claw from my local chandlers a couple of years ago without any trouble although when it arrived it was fit for a sailing ship - still it is very beautiful - almost a sculpture in fact. Moral think about the diameter carefully ! i noticed when i was in foxes marina chandlery (ipswich )recently they had several .

G

Andy,

My Westerly 25 is a stretched version of the 22. The kicking strap is very effective when the main is fully up (unreefed) but unusable at other times. The arrangemnt is easily removable and consists of a small shackle at the bottom and a stainless peg at the top. The shackle fits onto a hole in the tabernackle and the peg into a socket which is fixed to the boom anbout 18" from the mast. Between the shackle and the peg is a pulley arrangement with a jammer. The procedure is simple - connet up the device, pull tight and jam in place. The only probelm is when one forgets to remove it before trying to use the roler reefing. Give me you eamil and I'll send you a sketch if you want- it should be easy for you to knock one up!

Martin