Boaty Brexit

Ink

Visit site
With all the changes that will now be happening on 1st January which are going to affect all of us who go 'continental' for our holidays, I can see the need for things like crew lists and more paper work when returning to the UK.

I would like to get an 'official' boat stamp made. Any suggestions on what should be included in the wording and where one could get such a thing made?

Ink

dunedin

Visit site
There will definitely be more bureaucracy and hassle caused by Brexit, but possibly not so much in the form of “paperwork” (at least within most of Europe).
I suspect much more will be done by phone (Yachtline)and internet (Schengen and, in near future, C1331 equivalent).

Can you get an electronic “stamp”? (Though a physical “ship‘s stamp” might be an amusing distraction.)

doug748

Visit site
I can't see you would use it much formally but it is a great thing to stamp your charts and books with. I would consider putting on:

Boat name and sail no
Skipper/owners name
Class/manufacturer
Flag nation
Official Reg No
Plus, perhaps some artwork - Sail insignia, crest, makers ident or whatever.

Best done on a computer so you can muck around with it to your hearts content, a simple word processing package could do it. They can reproduce even quite fine detail but this would be subject to wear in use.
I used to get a lot of these things made up, even years ago they would accept any clean printed design and size it themselves but you should check the aspect ratio is within reason.

easton

Visit site
Ours has boat name, number and port of registry (Pt 1 registered), and a cool logo our daughter designed. went down well in Russia as there was lots of stamping and signing on the way in and out.

It's not entirely necessary and the most we've used it is to stamp the inside of all of our books like Doug748 suggests. When I first got it I was like a small child with a new toy stamping anything I could stamp. It was rather fun.

We got it from rubberstamps.co.uk, it's a self inking one about 30X70mm

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Some time back I printed some business cards with

Boat pic
Boat name
Type
Call Sign
MMSI
SSR
My Name
Address
Mob #
E mail
A stamp with less info on might not be a bad idea for next year, I will wait and see how the bureaucracy pans out.

prv

Visit site
went down well in Russia as there was lots of stamping and signing on the way in and out.

The Russians do like their stamps. When my parents lived there, even the guy who delivered the water-cooler bottles (Moscow water is questionable for drinking) would accompany them with a flurry of stamps on the delivery and payment paperwork.

Pete

Visit site
With all the changes that will now be happening on 1st January which are going to affect all of us who go 'continental' for our holidays, I can see the need for things like crew lists and more paper work when returning to the UK.

I would like to get an 'official' boat stamp made. Any suggestions on what should be included in the wording and where one could get such a thing made?

Ink
Easier just to stamp your foot when annoyed :mad:

atol

Visit site
The last time i was asked for a ships stamp was in Eritrea,and not having a proper stamp.
i just borrowed one from the kids assorted stamp play set that had a nice picture of a toy tug boat on it, and stamped all the forms,
The locals officials were quite happy that their forms had been stamped

Other threads that may be of interest