Boat jumbles

Colin_S

Visit site
Noticed there's a couple of boat jumbles local to me soon and have never been to one. Are there any decent bits of kit to be had at these or is it mostly old tat? Looking to pick up a sensibly priced 2nd hand wind vane setup.

paulrossall

Visit site
You will find a mixture of well known companies like Jimmy Green, smaller traders who only go to the Sunday Boat Jumbles which are every Sunday (apart from July/August) to "car-boot" type venders. If you turn up early and have a good knowledge of prices (take a cataloge??? with you) you can get bargins. You will find loads and loads of things that you did not realise you needed and should come home with a shed-load of goods.In my experience. IMHO

ccscott49

Visit site
I like boat jumbles!! I'm more your boat jumbler as opposed to boat shower. I've found loads of gear at good prices, just make a list of what you want, Beaulie is great!

penultimate

Visit site
Agree with the comments of others but 2nd hand wind vanes tend to command relatively high prices and I was unsuccesful at finding any at Boat Jumbles and ended up buying privately.

mainsale0

Visit site
Jumbles are a real mix from tat to new and can be good fun. They range from pukka trade stands, boxes of rusty grot, and perhaps most interestingly, private stands selling unwanted and spare items. There are also stands that would be more at home at the car boot, ie they having nothing to do with boats, and stands with stuff that would better taken straight to the dump.
You can pick up real bargains with both new and nearly new items but there is no comeback on the sellers so "let the buyer beware". Be warned if you are not careful you will need a bigger garage as you collect either items that you think you may need in the future, are the wrong size and "bargains" that appear too good to be true!
Tips - always offer less than being asked and if buying paint always shake the tin to make sure it is still liquid.
Happy jumbling!!

bluedragon

Visit site
I went to a local boat jumble last year and felt it was in the "mostly old tat" category...and really quite small. I won't be going again...but I hear ones like Beaulieu are good (but maybe too large to get around in a day).

snowleopard

Visit site
Go with an open mind and a degree of scepticism. I mostly buy from the small retailers as the prices are generally well below swindleries. My best deal was a pair of winches (brand new Lewmar ST40) for the price of one, saving me £500 on my fitting-out bill.

I always take the view that if a second-hand item can't be demonstrated to work, it almost certainly doesn't. I even once bought a pump that the seller demonstrated for me but it turned out to have an incurable leak after I installed it.

I typically go with a shopping list of 10 items. find 3 of them and come away with half a dozen things that weren't on the list.

oldharry

Visit site
Watch the prices: Just because its a boat jumble doesnt mean its cheap or even a bargain. Quite a few stalls are selling at RRP, and without the ease of returning faulty goods. Yes I know retailers have to ..etc, but half the time at a jumble you dont know what company you are buying from. So dont pay at or near full swindlery prices.

On the other hand, as a source for those odd, hard to get bits and pieces, they are invaluable, partoicualrly if you own an older boat.

But I agree totally with the advice - if it can not be demonstrated as working, then assume it is not!

Ebay is often cheaper anyway.

FullCircle

Visit site
List of Jumbles in 2006

Essex OK on A127, but North Weald better.
Ipswich one a bit small

Go to Beaulieu. Trouble was last year there was a windscreen from a Malo 40 I wanted, but it wouldnt fit in my car.......

Be careful, pick your moment, arrive early lots bargains and clearance lines , good deals from Spindrift and Jimmy Green, and lots competition on ropes.
I picked up over 500 quids worth of 'baggins' from Beaulieu inc 750ft of 16mm warp.....

bobgosling

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ebay is often cheaper anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

!?!? I have spent ages on eBay looking for bargain bits for my boat but often find that for about 10% more than the winning bid I can buy the same thing new from a reputable dealer with the benefit of a proper guarantee.

oldharry

Visit site
I think it depends what you are looking for Bob, and how you set about it. E bay is not the place for expensive electronics - but then neither is a boat jumble! at the jumble it will either be near enough full price without the comeback if you need warranty service, or if its cheap it is faulty, has parts missing or - its been nicked anyway! They reckon the Hamble gets stripped of any loose gear in the weeeks leading up to Beaulieu. There are many stories of owners buying their gear back from jumble stalls - one at least I know to be true as it happened to me!

There is a apparently a brisk interchange of stolen goods between the S and E coast during the jumble season, too. (Source Hampshire Police).

As far as Ebay is concerned, I reckon I saved nearly £1000 on a major refit (or was it E-fit!), buying all kinds of gear ranging from rigging screws, fastenings, S/S rigging wire, Stalock and Norseman type terminals, engine parts, etc. I even acheived a decent electronic Log for a little over £30 - brand new unused and complete with spare transducer for another £9.

The key with Ebay is to look for items going out at 'difficult' times of day: an item timed to sell at 8.30pm can fetch 2 - 3 times the price of the same thing selling at 8.30am monday morning for example. (Curses - why am i telling you this...? )

Be extra careful with expensive elctronic items: regard anything from Hong Kong as suspect unless they can show a healthy feedback. report anything suspicious. I looked at a Hong Kong GPS which seemed unusually cheap. I checked the feedback, and noticed the entries seemed to be following a pattern. Checking the 'feedback of the people who had given feedback revealed they ALL had feedback records created at the same time on the same day. Reported it. and the entry was cancelled by Ebay soon after.

Ebayers also suffer 'auction fever' and it is by no means uncommon to see items selling for more than the retail price.

Having said that, some of the Far Eastern suppliers are entirely legit and above board. Just be wary!

Tisme

Visit site
I think that E-Bay is in danger of becoming too successful!

Compared with just a very few years ago it seems to have become more expensive and there is so much stuff on there that I find it tedious to trawl through all the items on sale. What really irritates me is the dealers selling the same item many times over and you have to wade through a couple of hundred listings just to get to the end of "their" section.

Maybe I'm not using the search filters fully, but I find it too time consuming to do anything other than the occasional look.

I should say that, in the past I tended to look through the boating stuff, if anything caught my fancy I would bid on it and I got some very good deals. Window shopping like that is now difficult. If you know exactly what you want the search engine is fine.