Boat carpets - any thoughts?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
I'm busy securing the floor "panels" into the yacht with over-lapping strips to stop items falling down between the panels and into the bilge.

My next move is to cut holes for finger pulls and then lay the carpet. What color carpet would be suitable?

My first thought was charcoal but that might make the interior too dark? (The timber paneling is darkish) The ceiling is light gray.
I don't think blue or green would be suitable but maybe beige or champagne? Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 20-31-24 Main Cabin.pngScreenshot 2021-12-10 at 20-30-55 IMG_0983.pngScreenshot 2021-12-10 at 20-36-21 IMG_0986.png

lustyd

Visit site
Not sure I'd go carpet in the saloon as it may get wet. Have you considered laminate flooring?

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
My next move is to cut holes for finger pulls and then lay the carpet. What color carpet would be suitable?
Brass pull rings would be better than holes.
474437_1.jpg

Carpet would have to be plain to stop it clashing with upholstery!
I would use bathroom nonslip rugs.

johnalison

Visit site
We had to replace the original carpets that came with our HR. We chose bathroom-type carpets from a nearby shop. This comes with a firm rubber backing, which means that the carpet is not prone to buckling and doesn't slip, and we have done away with the fastenings that were needed on the original.

Our carpet is beige, which suits our blueish furnishings and beige curtains but I have seen sister-ships with slatey blue carpets that looked OK but less 'warm'. I had the edges of our carpet, in three cabins, bound by a local man, which gives a nice finished appearance. I think the carpet cost around £120 and only about £15 for the binding.

A carpet can be perfectly practical. We haven't found that it got salty or messy, though we do our best not to bring dripping wet clothes in, and have a mat at the foot of the companionway. It makes living on board more civilised and tends not to show everyday grime.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The carpet, that the previous owner of my boat fitted, appears to be the same carpet as used by car maufacturers, it dries out quickly and cleaning it seems to be simply a case of hosing it down, it’s also very hard wearing.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I've always used non-slip carpet I can just cut with a hot-knife. Easy to replace, easy to remove for cleaning, even just to shake the sand out.

IMO, varnished wood floors are just too slippery for safety. Also, for those that sail in cooler climates, carpet is a LOT WARMER on the feet and for the whole cabin than bare wood. It keeps the cold from the bilge down in the bilge.

capnsensible

Visit site
Carpet. Boat. Boat. Carpet. Not for me. :)

When we first moved aboard, we had a carpet in the saloon. Didn't last long. Bin.

Cheap option for a while were Cork floor tiles. Got fed up with them and finally laid a proper deck laminate. Looks great. Plus I got easy access to bilges anytime......I was trained to check them often.

Slippers keep feets warm.....

Neeves

Visit site
I've never understood this need for the interior of a yacht to look like a crypt - everything dark and gloomy.

Laminate flooring, wipe clean. In winter wear Ugg boots - or call them deck boots if you like. The boots are non slip.

There you are on watch, wet and slightly miserable, cup of hot chocolate (possibly fortified) would be perfect. Do you take the deck boots and foul weather gear off before venturing below to boil the milk? The carpet gets wet and then you spill the milk when hit by another rogue wave - laminate!

Jonathan

johnalison

Visit site
Some people have very narrow and prescriptive ideas about everything to do with boats. There are a few things that one can say with certainty that are wrong, but many matters are entirely the owner’s choice. I have sailed both with and without carpets and enjoyed them both. For those whose attitude to sailing verges on the agricultural, carpets could well be an unnecessary nuisance, but when, like us in later years, you are living on a boat for three months, the comfort of a carpet is a pleasure. In the case of my current boat, with a large mat at the base of the companionway, and the galley uncarpeted, it is easy to access the galley or heads without dripping water on the carpet. Spilling milk would be a Yachmaster fail in my book.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Brass pull rings would be better than holes.
474437_1.jpg

Carpet would have to be plain to stop it clashing with upholstery!
I would use bathroom nonslip rugs.

I'm using exactly the same finger pulls as pictured only mine are SS. In retrospect brass would have been more appropriate as the cabinet door hinges are brass and the lanterns are brass.

Yes I agree the carpet will have to be plain for the reason you have suggested.

Last edited:

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Not sure I'd go carpet in the saloon as it may get wet. Have you considered laminate flooring?
The carpet will be outdoor/boat carpet so it should be able to get wet. (But will it dry OK?)
I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks

coopec

N/A
Visit site
We had to replace the original carpets that came with our HR. We chose bathroom-type carpets from a nearby shop. This comes with a firm rubber backing, which means that the carpet is not prone to buckling and doesn't slip, and we have done away with the fastenings that were needed on the original.

Our carpet is beige, which suits our blueish furnishings and beige curtains but I have seen sister-ships with slatey blue carpets that looked OK but less 'warm'. I had the edges of our carpet, in three cabins, bound by a local man, which gives a nice finished appearance. I think the carpet cost around £120 and only about £15 for the binding.

A carpet can be perfectly practical. We haven't found that it got salty or messy, though we do our best not to bring dripping wet clothes in, and have a mat at the foot of the companionway. It makes living on board more civilised and tends not to show everyday grime.
Maybe foam backed with stitched edgings is the way to go? I wonder how that would handle 3 separate panels that flex slightly when stepped on? But I could easily stiffen the floor panels by gluing (or screwing) a timber slat on the underside.

I'll go for a plain carpet - likely beige or champagne

CHAMPAGNE
O_28225_736

Last edited: