Bluewater boat for under £40k: Moody or Jeanneau?

dom

Visit site
Of course does not tell us whether they were scared out of their wits, brains scrambled due to the slamming or enjoying the ride!

Guessing the trip was made around January with reports coming in now. A mid-winter voyage at the moment through the 'Roaring 40s' and 'Screaming 50s' might indeed involve a bit of slamming!

https://www.windy.com/?-28.536,-95.713,3,i:pressure

Seriously though, multiple voyages like that do certainly build a picture of seaworthiness and competence. The west side of South America as one works back up to the trades is a most unforgiving coast with few amenities along the way.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Report recently on the Bavaria forum of two rounding Cape Horn on their way to Australia. Fairly common for intrepid Aussies to buy new boats in the Med, cruise around for a couple of years and sail home.

Indeed. Reliably informed that there are a lack of boats around in both Oz and NZ with owners doing exactly that.

Kelpie

Visit site
Expanding our search to the Med reveals an abundance of AWBs. There are a few Gib'Sea models around, these look very tempting- would I be right in thinking they are a bit cheaper than Ben/Jen/Bav? Anything wrong with them?

alant

Visit site
Expanding our search to the Med reveals an abundance of AWBs. There are a few Gib'Sea models around, these look very tempting- would I be right in thinking they are a bit cheaper than Ben/Jen/Bav? Anything wrong with them?

Not the ones I've sailed, very good boats. IIRC they were taken over by Dufour.

davidlhill

Visit site
AFAIK VAT status can be lost if they know you've been outside the EU for extended periods but there are exceptions.
Although there are some bargains the other side of the pond, taxes will have to be paid if brought into the EU (no 18 month VAT grace for EU residents) and RCD compliance can cost a fair amount. With Brexit on the horizon, my inclination would be to buy a boat which is EU VAT paid unless no intention of returning.

What does "VAT status can be lost"? Do you mean that if I buy a second hand boat here in the UK VAT paid, sail away for 5 years, and return, I would then have to pay VAT again? And if so, on what? Original selling price (whenever that was)? Current market price? Price I paid for it?

Thanks,

David

Tranona

Visit site
What does "VAT status can be lost"? Do you mean that if I buy a second hand boat here in the UK VAT paid, sail away for 5 years, and return, I would then have to pay VAT again? And if so, on what? Original selling price (whenever that was)? Current market price? Price I paid for it?

Thanks,

David

Read HMRC VAT Notice No8 or the HMRC/RYA FAQ sheet on the subject.

It s indeed true that once a boat leaves the EU it potentially is liable for VAT if it re-enters and definitely is if it changes ownership outside the EU. VAT is not a tax on the asset (the boat) but on transactions and import into the EU is classified as a "chargeable event". This is logical otherwise imported boats would have a cost advantage over EU built boats.

However boats that have had VAT paid on a transaction in the EU are eligible for reliefs, and the common one is "Returned Goods Relief" which allows the person who took the boat out to bring it back in without paying any VAT. The time limit on this is "normally" 3 years which covers most situations and HMRC are known to be flexible about this. If VAT does become payable it is based on current value rather than original cost.

Other ways of avoiding this potential tax which is of help to those who keep VAT boats outside the EU in places like Turkey, Montenegro, Canaries, is to make periodic visits into the EU (keeping evidence) as this starts the clock again.

Kelpie

Visit site
Other ways of avoiding this potential tax which is of help to those who keep VAT boats outside the EU in places like Turkey, Montenegro, Canaries, is to make periodic visits into the EU (keeping evidence) as this starts the clock again.

Very interesting post, thank you.
Is there anywhere outside of the actual continent of Europe that counts as being in the EU for VAT purposes? Three years is a bit tight for a circumnav, but if you could stop in at an overseas territory that would be very handy...

Tranona

Visit site
Very interesting post, thank you.
Is there anywhere outside of the actual continent of Europe that counts as being in the EU for VAT purposes? Three years is a bit tight for a circumnav, but if you could stop in at an overseas territory that would be very handy...

No. And of course after next year this may all change depending on what the new VAT regime looks like. As I hinted the 3 years is a "normal" and I doubt any "genuine" person has really had any problems on return. Hardly a big thing for customs in terms of potential revenue vs hassle.

I would put this issue way down my list of things to worry about, even below deciding if I have enough spare wicks for my cabin paraffin lamp!

lpdsn

Visit site
Is there anywhere outside of the actual continent of Europe that counts as being in the EU for VAT purposes?

The French Overseas Depts are part of the EU. e.g Martinique, Reunion. Beware that different parts of the remains of the French empire have different statuses so they don't all count as being part of the EU.

Kelpie

Visit site
A quick Google throws up this list:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custo...al-status-eu-countries-certain-territories_en

Which suggests that certain territories may be in the EU but at the same time exempt from VAT rules. E.g. the Canaries.
Of the places where VAT rules do apply, the ones of note to me are Madeira and the Azores.

But hopefully it's not a problem in practise, certainly it does sound daft to go round the world on your boat and come home to a VAT bill for no apparent reason.

Tranona

Visit site
A quick Google throws up this list:
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custo...al-status-eu-countries-certain-territories_en

Which suggests that certain territories may be in the EU but at the same time exempt from VAT rules. E.g. the Canaries.
Of the places where VAT rules do apply, the ones of note to me are Madeira and the Azores.

But hopefully it's not a problem in practise, certainly it does sound daft to go round the world on your boat and come home to a VAT bill for no apparent reason.

Always think of Madeira and the Azores as Portugal rather than overseas territories. Good places to stop and then you have entered the EU before reaching the UK! So no need to notify UK customs (for now).

Kelpie

Visit site
Just received a survey for a mid 1980s Sun Fizz. It was a low priced boat, but wow what an eye opener.
I know that this is just one example and does not mean that every boat of this type will have problems, but it does somewhat reinforce my concerns about this type of design. Osmosis, movement around the keel/hull joint, deformation of the hull when the boat is sat on its keel, rudder showing evidence of repair around the shaft (collision/grounding damage?), rudder structurally unsound and waterlogged. I guess it was cheap for a reason!

How common are these sorts of faults? The boats I've owned to date have been considerably older yet not had any such problems.