Blackwater to Crouch 14th June

Nunfa1

Visit site
Hi there, is anyone doing the above journey? We need to get our boat back from Tollesbury and have been let down by a couple of people now.
We currently plan to motor it all the way but if anyone wants to join us and help sail it we would be most grateful.
Would also be happy to tag along and follow another boat if anyone is going our way.
Boat in question is a Kingfisher 20 and crew will be 2 novices.
Any other info just ask, thanks.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Tell us about the boat. What engine and is it reliable?. What safety equipment? Does the boat have a loo?

What does the boat draw? An early exit from Tollesbury and crossing the Raysand is the quickest way to the Crouch by far.

Where on the Crouch are you going to?

Where are you based for travelling to and from?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
From memory a Kingfisher 20 doesn't draw much more than a metre, so the Raysan is definitely doable. From the blackwater head direct to the Benchhead Buoy and when within sight of it head for the Raysan Buoy, depending on the state of the tide you should easily make it through the Raysan Channel and if you have plenty of water cut the corners towrds the shore. I would aim to arrive at the Raysan about 2 hours before high water and that will give you plenty of time to take the flood up the Crouch to wherever you are based. I am presuming that you will have at least a handheld GPS that will allow you to put a few waypoints into.

If you have favourable winds try out your sails. The foresail is a much easier sail to learn on as when you let it go [release your sheet completely] it will lie parallel to the wind and not cause too much trouble for you. Kingfisher 20s generally had only an outboard and you might want to husband your petrol for the trip by using your sails whenever you can.

MoodySabre

Visit site
John - the problem is getting out of Tollesbury. With an 1100hrs tide they will only have 3 hours either side (I guess) so getting to the Raysand much before HW is not doable so it's a plugging the tide in the Blackwater and in the Crouch or a VERY long trip to the Whitaker and back in. A bit of motor sailing in a decent wind would be the best speedwise.

I might be up for this.

Nunfa1

Visit site
The boat is in Tollesbury marina, we are heading to Hulbridge.
The draft is 2'6" so plenty of leeway for the raysand hopefully. We have onboard GPS and VHF DSC radio. We will have handheld GPS on a tablet as well.
The engine is a Honda 5hp 4 stroke with alternator charging the onboard battery. It has just been serviced and given the all clear.
We have onboard toilet and gas hob.
We will be travelling from Hockey and would be happy to pick up and drop off if needed.

stuey_two

Visit site
I draw 1.4m and usually have to wait until about 1 1/2hrs before high water to get out of Tollesbury . A Kinfisher would get out a little earlier, possibly by 2hrs before HW. An alternative plan would be to stop a night en-route at Brightlingsea; this would allow a much earlier (in the tide) approach to the Raysand and a tide assisted run up the Crouch.
If the tide turns foul in the Crouch, keeping very close in to the northern shore makes a big diference.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
either brightlingsea or bradwell would be a good overnight on the saturday assuming the trip doesn't have to be done on one day on the sunday due to crew availibility. the other alternative is overnight on a buoy at west mersea which on the way and won't need a detour. my tide planner makes it high water at 10.12 saturday and 11.10 on the sunday at west mersea for getting out of tollesbury.

I draw 1.5 metres so as a rough rule of thumb use the bradwell tidal curve and when it shows 3 metres (1.5 drying height for the Raysand and 1.5 metres draft) I know I'll get through the channel. There is 3 metres between 8.20 and 13.45 according to my tidal software on the 14th. I'd never push it ti the exact minute and a rising tide is of course sensible.

Through the Raysand motoring is just like driving - no wind direction to worry about apart from leeway under bare poles.

Nunfa1

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, most useful.
An overnight trip is not possible unfortunately. I don't think getting over the Raysand is going to be a problem, it will just just mean we spend a long time against the tide coming up the Crouch.
Can someone recommend good tidal software? I need to work out the earliest we can leave Tollesbury Marina because of the sill. Online tables only go for 7 days.
Thanks.

Boz

Visit site
I noted you use a tablet, I use Tide planner from Imray on my iPad and iPhone, there are in App purchases but I've found it very useful and well worth it. I believe there is an Android version as well.....

There are variations compared to UKHO but probably negligible for planning......

Burnham Bob

Visit site
on a pc tide plotter from belfield software is great. about £10 for a year but cheaper if you buy three years. every uk port you cvould name, tidal curves you can print otu as images, monthly tide tables you can print out and i've always found it reliable. on a tablet or phone absolute tides is about the best i've found from google play. the app itself is free, but you buy a year's worth of data for less than £3. First time you open it you get all the primary ports, but select the one you're interested in and you can create secondary ports from a drop down menu. for example round here, open walton and then create bradwell, west mersea, burnham etc