Berthing options in the South

Torquemada

Visit site
Hi everyone - new forum member, and soon (hopefully) new boat owner. I am looking to buy a sailing yacht and am looking for somewhere to keep it once I have it. All the sailing I've done in the Solent has been on charter boats or with sailing schools, so I've only been to either big chain marinas like MDL or local council pontoons. The latter seem impossible to get a hold of, and the former are very expensive. I was wondering:

1. Are there any other options I should be looking at?

2. If I were to bite the bullet and fork over the £££ for a chain marina, is there anything to recommend, say, MDL over Premier or boatfolk?

For context, I am looking at an older boat around the 30ft mark to sail two-handed, probably a Sadler 32 or something along those lines, almost definitely fin keel. I live in Berkshire so within easy driving distance of pretty much anywhere in the Solent. I am only considering places in the South coast for now, preferably in or near the Solent, but if I can't find anything reasonable there Bristol is also driveable. Swinging/pile moorings are not really an option for us, at least not for now, but a mid-river pontoon could work.

I realise it's a tall order, my partner and I have been searching and calling places for a few days but haven't found spaces anywhere outside the expensive marinas, but I'd be grateful for any pointers!

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Some of the clubs in the Solent have moorings available - Hardway (Gosport) and Tudor (east side of Portsmouth) both have moorings, and Fareham have some pontoons up near Salterns Lane. I believe these are all for boats under about 30' or 33'. A friend had a Westerly Fulmar on Fareham's pontoons at Watersmeet, so 32' must be ok there. You will find the same long waiting list, I think, as for council berths. I have the impression (although I haven't checked) that council run moorings are reasonably available in Plymouth.

BoatFolk will always be Dean & Reddyhoff to me, and I spent a fair bit of time at Hasler Gosport, but I don't think there's much to choose between them. I imagine they all offer a discount, if you have an annual berth with them, when visiting other marinas in the same chain - a friend of mine loves MDL's Passeport Escales, as it's great value on her annual 6-week cruise of Brittany.

lustyd

Visit site
on point 2 I'm in Berks and have a boat in Boatfolk. Used to be Premier, the difference is stark. As someone a little further away I need to know my boat is OK. Boatfolk patrol the pontoons and check boats, say hello, participate in the general marina goings on. Premier had a guy that walked the pontoons who I'm not convinced was aware there were boats. Twice I saw boats under the water, and several times (including my own) boats with lost fenders and no action. Boatfolk have a shed full of found fenders which they use to replace fenders which are missing. They re-tie lines where needed and they know the boats and people. Boatfolk also offered to take photos on demand throughout the pandemic, while the only contact I had from Premier was to tell me the lock was closing for a month so I couldn't get my boat out. For a month. Boatfolk made a plaque with my boat name for my berth. MY berth. Premier stipulate that it's their berth and subject to change. Premier changed my berth every single trip for three months, often putting me in a berth too small for the boat upon return.

I didn't dislike Premier, they do a fine marina and their facilities were good. Port Solent had great restaurants too. It took 45 minutes to get to the harbour entrance.
Haslar I'm 4 minutes from the harbour entrance for an extra 15 in the car. Restaurants are less good without the ferry, facilities are at least as good.

On point 1 - it's a 1:30 or more drive from Berks, do you want to load your stuff in a dinghy on arrival and get to a boat without power late on a Friday and have to fill your water tanks during the trip? It's absolutely doable either way. You also have the option of tidal marinas such as Emsworth which I used to use. It was great and cheaper, but the tides were a killer with the commute either end of a trip.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
For very many years I kept boats on moorings or trot moorings. I live 3hrs(West Midlands) from the sea.The important thing is to select one where it is sheltered from waves. Ours were in Pwllheli (before the Marina!) and Plymouth (Jimmy Donne's moorings) nr St Budeaux by the bridges. We now have our boat in a marina on the Orwell and would not want to be on a mooring in the Orwell because if there is a strong wind against the tide it can get very unsleepable and wet to go to and fro. Providing you have system and pack your car with thought, the hassle of getting to swinging moorings can be overstated. We did it with 3 small children. Usually took 2 trips. Dinghy, outboard, oars, food, eldest child gear and me first trip. Open up boat, child below stowing food and gear.. Return for the wife and other younger children. Need a large estate car-Volvo or Mondeo ideal. Also need to have a second set of clothes, both social and sailing, aboard and tools etc. to expedite the process. At Pwllheli we had a hard dinghy which helped a lot because deflating a wet dinghy before the trip home was indeed a pain.
Although only 1hr 30 min. away we have not kept a boat in the Bristol Channel, although we have cruised it on 3 or 4 occasions. See their forum in the list above under forums. The trouble is that weekend trips are a bit limited because you have to accommodate with the significent tides: eg Portishead to Cardiff or Cardiff across to Watchet or Porlock. With shoal draft boats you have more options, but will dry out in even more mud than on the East Coast.

ashtead

Visit site
The one cheaper option to check out is Wicormarine in Portsmouth harbour -it’s 40mins by water from Haslar . We started at Wicor when we first had our boat but subsequently moved to Haslar. If you want others look at Deacons or birdham in chi harbour but first consideration is do you want all tide state entry or can you live with a sill,lock gates etc. Remember when busy in summer you might have to wait to get through lock gates at say port Solent.

Torquemada

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Some of the clubs in the Solent have moorings available...

I have seen a few people recommend this in other posts. How does it work with sailing club berths? I assume you can't just sign up and get a berth, otherwise everyone would be doing it. I'm guessing long waiting list, and you have to be an active member of the club?

On point 1 - it's a 1:30 or more drive from Berks, do you want to load your stuff in a dinghy on arrival and get to a boat without power late on a Friday and have to fill your water tanks during the trip? It's absolutely doable either way. You also have the option of tidal marinas such as Emsworth which I used to use. It was great and cheaper, but the tides were a killer with the commute either end of a trip.

This is a good point. I definitely see the value in just parking up, walking over with the trolley and sailing off instead of faffing about with a dinghy or calling a water taxi, especially after driving 1.5 hours on a Friday night after a long work week. As for tidal, I guess it's worth a look - if the price difference is big enough we might be willing to put up with a bit more planning in terms of arriving/departing hours.

Although only 1hr 30 min. away we have not kept a boat in the Bristol Channel, although we have cruised it on 3 or 4 occasions. See their forum in the list above under forums. The trouble is that weekend trips are a bit limited because you have to accommodate with the significent tides: eg Portishead to Cardiff or Cardiff across to Watchet or Porlock.

Yes, that was what I thought. For the time being we will likely be doing fairly frequent weekend trips with 1 or 2 longer ones throughout the year, so if we can just show up and go sailing any time that's a big plus. On the other hand, Portishead is about half the price of all the Solent marinas we've seen, so there is that.

The one cheaper option to check out is Wicormarine in Portsmouth harbour -it’s 40mins by water from Haslar . We started at Wicor when we first had our boat but subsequently moved to Haslar. If you want others look at Deacons or birdham in chi harbour but first consideration is do you want all tide state entry or can you live with a sill,lock gates etc. Remember when busy in summer you might have to wait to get through lock gates at say port Solent.

Just looked into quotes there, and indeed it seems like a cheaper option than just about everything else nearby that ticks all the boxes. Will give them a call to see if they have space, thanks!

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The one cheaper option to check out is Wicormarine in Portsmouth harbour -it’s 40mins by water from Haslar
That's near the Fareham club pontoons I mentioned - the Fareham club pontoons are actually a little further up the river.

It's a lovely spot, and actually a very pleasant motor down to the harbour. Even better on a fast rib though.

Stemar

Visit site
Join Hardway because it's a friendly place with useful facilities and a cheap bar, not to get a mooring. There's a waiting list to join, but get your name down now and you'll most likely get in in the 2023 intake. Once you're in, put your name down for a mooring, but it's dead men's shoes, and the wait could be several years. However, while you're waiting, Quay Lane may have a suitable mooring, or there's the deluxe version, Gosport Boat Yard, which is dearer, but has the advantage of a water taxi. You've also got Wicor Marine; I don't know if they have swinging moorings, but they do have pontoons out in the creek. Up at the top of the harbour, you may get a drying pontoon berth in Fareham, but it's a long way from the Solent and quite limited by the tide. You also have another company, Goliath Holdings, I think they're called, trading as Portsmouth Moorings. Some people find them OK but, after having one of their moorings, I wouldn't pee on them if they were on fire. and I know I'm not the only one.

BTW, a fin keel isn't necessarily a barrier to a drying mooting in Portsmouth Harbour, plenty of them are in deep mud that's gloopy enough for a keel to sink right in. Just don't expect to walk ashore at low tide! Personally, I like anchoring, so a boat that can take the ground opens up places where the fins just can't go. Worth considering when you're ready to start looking.

Sianna

Visit site
You could try Hythe Sailing Club, they are on the Solent, swinging moorings only but priced accordingly, 11m boat with winter pound space is advertised for £850 a year, nice club and good facilities.
Home

FairweatherDave

Visit site
There are a lot of subtleties to your issue. People resolve them different ways. But generally speaking best locations and marinas cost, whilst tidal restrictions and swinging moorings are significantly cheaper. I don't particularly like marinas for all their convenience. I also quite enjoy getting to our boat on its swinging mooring where it is well sheltered, AND I can do this whatever state of tide. But it is a posh swinger and we pay quite a bit to launch our inflatable. Then factor in if the boat is staying in the water all year round....not all moorings are suitable. However we pay half what it would cost to keep a boat in a marina..... Crudely total costs for a 30ft boat £3000 versus £6000 (I'm including being on a marina hard for 5 months). Chichester is a lovely location and suits us coming from Brighton. But I might be tempted by Portsmouth if coming from Berkshire.

Turnnidge

Visit site
The Gosport Boat Yard moorings that were mentioned earlier are a good compromise, the water taxi works well and there is dinghy storage on the end of Sultans pier. I kept my boat there for year.

On a thread drift for those in Berkshire, if you are anywhere near Newbury have a look at my signature line below.

SimonD

Visit site
I kept a bilge keeler in Fareham marina for a season. Very nice spot to be if a long way from the Solent. Fareham Marina Ltd

I also used Wicormarine for a couple of seasons. Things may have changed, but back then, you kept a dinghy on a rack at the end of the main pontoon and could hire a locker for the outboard. The pontoons were mid-river.

If you're prepared to travel a little further, Portland harbour almost certainly has swinging moorings available. If you qualify, the RNSA moorings at the south end of the harbour would be a good bet. Otherwise, Royal Dorset Yacht Club and Castle Cove Sailing club would be worth a call. They share facilities such as dinghy storage, water taxi and secure parking. If this neck of the woods appeals, you could also get on the waiting list for a berth in the council marina in Weymouth. £377.80 a metre this year and great service.

coveman

Visit site
If you're prepared to travel a little further, Portland harbour almost certainly has swinging moorings available. If you qualify, the RNSA moorings at the south end of the harbour would be a good bet. Otherwise, Royal Dorset Yacht Club and Castle Cove Sailing club would be worth a call. They share facilities such as dinghy storage, water taxi and secure parking. If this neck of the woods appeals, you could also get on the waiting list for a berth in the council marina in Weymouth. £377.80 a metre this year and great service.

I kept my boat in Portland Harbour on a swinging mooring and this can be a much cheaper option as you correctly say. However, the harbour, because of its size, is still quite exposed in a blow ( which these days seems a common occurrence) so your mooring needs to be well maintained, and as far as I am aware you can only use the mooring from April to October Several boats have been damaged over the years when their moorings have failed. As you say there is a taxi service but only at weekends and some evenings.

For this reason I decided to move to the council marina in Weymouth, which is cheaper than the adjacent Boatfolk marina, but parking can sometimes be a problem in the height of summer, whereas Boatfolk have their own private car park You will be get a berth that is yours for the season at the council marina and the staff are very helpful and will check your boat if needs be. Both marinas are very sheltered so if you live a distance away that can be quite reassuring. The one disadvantage of both of these marina berths is that your sailing is dictated by the timings of the town lift bridge on entering or exiting the harbour.
It appears that the larger the boat the longer the waiting list is - mine is 22ft and I had no problem. The Boatfolk marina at Portland does away with the bridge lift and parking problem.

Last edited:

Torquemada

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, it's really helpful, giving us a lot of leads to look into.

Join Hardway because it's a friendly place with useful facilities and a cheap bar, not to get a mooring.

Good shout, thanks. I do want to join a sailing club, if nothing else to meet other sailors as all our friends here are very much landbound. Will look into Hardway.

I checked Wicormarine but they are full, unfortunately. So far Birdham looks like our best bet as they seem to have reasonably priced space, but will look into Emsworth too see if they have any space - Chichester harbour looks quite pretty and the drive isn't too bad. Otherwise, Gosport Boat Yard looks like a good compromise as you say Turnnidge. Portland looks good but it's a 2.5h+ drive, I think I would rather spend that extra hour sailing out of the harbour than in the car.

Daverw

Visit site
You will most likely get something sorted then it gives you the time to look further, the priority is getting somewhere first even if not ideal

sgr143

Visit site
I also used Wicormarine for a couple of seasons. Things may have changed, but back then, you kept a dinghy on a rack at the end of the main pontoon and could hire a locker for the outboard. The pontoons were mid-river.
Things have changed a bit. There are still some pontoons on the far side of the creek that you need a dinghy to access, and also some swinging moorings, but all of the east-side pontoons are now walk-ashore. The cost is a bit more than the dinghy access ones, but not that much. I'm on a walk-ashore, having been at Wicormarine for 5 years.
It's a very nice spot - you do feel you're out in the countryside rather than being in an urban car-park for boats. We don't mind the hour down to the harbour entrance; it's always full of interest and it gives us time in familiar and gentle surroundings to get back in the groove and go over the basics with any new crew. On the way back, the passage up the harbour is handy for starting the end of trip sort-out.

ashtead

Visit site
Our problem with Wicormarine was being on a river pontoon the boat was always afloat at 1.8m but the risk was not being to ashore due to long patch of dried out mud -if they now have walk ashore this issue plus the hassle of launching hard dinghy,rigging outboard,multiple dinghy trips etc vanish, if I had time on my hands Birdham looks lovely provided you don’t draw to much. If you want a marina you might find a cheaper one in a group say Eastbourne and then visit their other group marinas in summer. We quite liked Brixham but perhaps too far. Portland is soulless and restaurant is abysmal unless just buying a beer earlier evening.