Beneteau Antares 8.80

Pbroberg

Visit site
Hi all

I have a 2012 version with 2x150 Yamaha F150, and wanted to let you know my experiences as well as ask :)

We are sailing in Greenland, rounded 120hrs last year (season from recieved boat end of june to september) and we usually sail 2 adults with our 2 kids (4 and 5 year at the time).
For this, the boat is a perfect fit. Enough room for sleeping and eating. A little cramped, but doable for cooking.
I have fuel figures with steel props, and we cruise at a higher RPM than normal, but that is intentional :)
For full load a typical cruise is set at 4500RPM, with speed of 27kts and fuel usage at around 59liters/hour.
Is there any that have experiences they wanna share with a 300hp single installation around 4500-4900RPM range?

Only drawback so far with a twin installation, is that Yammi F150 is not digital, so you manually have to constantly make sure both engines run at same RPM for lower noise, and the RPM display is only 2 digits, so you cannot use displayed RPM for setting both, only for rough estimate. And of course you have higher fuel consumption, but should have better safety and load distribution.

I would like to save 200kg and have better range if there is no major drawbacks with a single installation, so any inputs are more than welcome.

Pbroberg

Visit site
I usually want cruise faster, so I have only notes from 4200RPM and up, with 2 Yamaha F150 (2012)
RPM. L/HR. KTS
4500 59 27
4700 64 28
4800 66 29
4900 68 30
5000 73 31
5100 80 32
5200 84 32
5300 88 33
5400 93 34
5700 104 37

maxed out around 5800 RPM with 38kts.

Hope it is usefull for some :)

rustybarge

Visit site
View attachment 31177Romans 8 engined Serviced
hull cleaned (no barnacles - thanks to copper coat)
Ready to go for Season

Hi Romans,
At last the spring has arrived, one moth late!
One very good reason to have an outboard tilted up out of the water, coppercoat on the hull and no pesky outdrive to service and coat with special gloop that doesn't work.

Outboards rule, ok. ;);)

EwanClark

www.coppercoat.com
Hi Romans8 - I'm pleased to hear that the Coppercoat is performing as well as promised and thank you for reporting such. If you come to the Southampton Boat Show this year, do pop by our stand in the Windward Hall to say hi.

romans8

Visit site
Tek-dek simulated teak decking

"Had Teckdeck floor fitted in rear cockpit which enhances the boat and is much softer under foot"

What sort of cost was incurred here?

I had a quote of about £900 + fitting £300 and templating by the manufacturer of £150
Made such a difference to the style and comfort of the boat - ring for advice first to their Alton Office

http://uk.tek-dek.com/front
Tel no. 01420 588000

anterak

Visit site
Hello from belgium to all,
i'm really close to order an Antares 880, but last night i discovered the Merry Fisher 855 which look like more ingenious for inside space modularity. By the way, on french forum i discovered an horrible experience from a french MF 855 owner who had ton of problems like water inside from the window, a lot of unscrewed screw, wiper which go off after one use, refrigerator off, etc... maybe this owner had a very and only bad production ?

So i dońt also know if antares and merry fisher are at the same price for same option configuration ?

What will be your advice

(ps : for engine thats easier it will be 2 x 150 mercury verado)

Rainbow Tim

Visit site
We are proud owners of a Antares 880 with the Suzuki 300 lean burn. Just delivered to NZ from Warsash. We have just been testing her around Auckland. She appears happiest cruising at around 20-22kts engine running at 4450rpm.
I was curious what trim angle you put on your engine and how you set your trim tabs when you get the speed up over 25kts - ?

Tim

Last edited:

rustybarge

Visit site
We are proud owners of a Antares 880 with the Suzuki 300 lean burn. Just delivered to NZ from Warsash. We have just been testing her around Auckland. She appears happiest cruising at around 20-22kts engine running at 4450rpm.
I was curious what trim angle you put on your engine and how you set your trim tabs when you get the speed up over 25kts - ?

Tim

Have you got any idea yet of fuel burn? Is lean burn really lean burn? ( I'm just about to buy a smaller leanburn and was just wondering if it is really 20% more efficient?)

Last edited:

romans8

Visit site
Just had a day out on my Antares 8.80 and did some speed tests at 20 & 30 knots and found that at 30 knots the best trim setting was about 51 with no trim tabs down and the engine reves in a moderate sea was about 4900 revs at a speed of 30 knots.
See AIS ROMANS 8
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=ITINERARIES&MMSI=235090238
Click on map at end of line to see travel map - then click on outbound middle marker and you will read we were travelling at 30.2 knots.
What a wonderful stable boat at this speed it was.
http://shipais.org/shiptrail.php?mmsi=235090238&map=-1&date=20130910

Last edited:

Rainbow Tim

Visit site
Thanks for that. We have some stormy weather set in at the moment so we will not be going out for a few days. I also need to check the tilt range is calibrated correctly on the Lowrance. Great to see your track - wonderful location!

Tim

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Just as a matter of interest Suzuki claim a 20% improvement over their previous models, not against the competition. My Yamaha 300 seems to give very similar performance and consumption to Roman's Suzuki. Both good engines.

rustybarge

Visit site
Just as a matter of interest Suzuki claim a 20% improvement over their previous models, not against the competition. My Yamaha 300 seems to give very similar performance and consumption to Roman's Suzuki. Both good engines.

Either the old engine was very thirsty, or the new model is very very economical. Which is it?

Rainbow Tim

Visit site
My understanding is that Suzuki are claiming around 14% compared to the older generation engines. There is a specific rpm range though (keep below 4600rpm). You would think that Yamaha are also improving with new models - has anyone done a side by side test?