Beneteau Antares 8.80

romans8

Visit site
Yes I have upgraded Antares 8.80 to a new Beneteau Antares 30 fly seamotion - my wife has new knee fitted so went for this boat so that she can easily step on from pontoon to new boats rear bathing platform - lost speed and performance for easy access. Plus fly bridge!!!!
Fitting new boat with copper coat and stern thruster
Raymarine electronics - worth a visit to the very advanced demo suite at Fareham to test and try the latest chartplotters.

Last edited:

romans8

Visit site
Yes I have upgraded Antares 8.80 to a new Beneteau Antares 30 fly seamotion - my wife has new knee fitted so went for this boat so that she can easily step on from pontoon to new boats rear bathing platform - lost speed and performance for easy access. Plus fly bridge!!!!
Fitting new boat with copper coat and stern thruster
Raymarine electronics - worth a visit to the very advanced demo suite at Fareham to test and try the latest chartplotters.
Started new forum "bought Beneteau Antares 30 fly" also pictures of new boat on Anders forum "Antares 30 questions" worth following good advice

mravsky

Visit site
Hi, I am buying an Antares 8.80 2012, which also doesn't come with the convertibility of the saloon bench into a full bed.
The sides of this boat are plastic, not wood like at your photos.
My question is: Does Beneteau sell the extra equipment for this purpose, including the cushion?
I guess a proper telescoping leg would do the job without a need to drill into plastic for board support?
Does anyone have more experience on the topic?
Thanks!
A

romans8

Visit site
Hi, I am buying an Antares 8.80 2012, which also doesn't come with the convertibility of the saloon bench into a full bed.
The sides of this boat are plastic, not wood like at your photos.
My question is: Does Beneteau sell the extra equipment for this purpose, including the cushion?
I guess a proper telescoping leg would do the job without a need to drill into plastic for board support?
Does anyone have more experience on the topic?
Thanks!
A
We had a cushion made for our boat - on my latest Antares 30 the main saloon table converts into a bed by using a short stem to support it so this is available I presume but on our 8.80 we had a small wood support fitted which worked well

anterak

Visit site
Finaly we ran for 2 x 150 Mercury Verado because Suzuki after sale service and network were very weak here in my country.
I'm very happy of the boat and the motor. I didn't notice some bad conception or building on boat. By the way we own the first 2014 model which was the first to come out of the factory.

antares.jpg

antares02.jpg

antares03.jpg

crique.jpg

chantier01.jpg

chantier02.jpg

chantier03.jpg

chantier04.jpg

ben01.jpg

ben02.jpg

ben03.jpg

Last edited:

anterak

Visit site
I do not have yet all analysis about consumption.
What i noticed is that i burned one time around 100 L fuel for a 37 Nm trip with variable speed that's 2,7 l/Nm or 0,37 M/1L with full tank (400L) and 4 persons with half of the way flat sea condition and 3 beaufort for the other half.
I'm going to do more test this summer

rustybarge

Visit site
I do not have yet all analysis about consumption.
What i noticed is that i burned one time around 100 L fuel for a 37 Nm trip with variable speed that's 2,7 l/Nm or 0,37 M/1L with full tank (400L) and 4 persons with half of the way flat sea condition and 3 beaufort for the other half.
I'm going to do more test this summer

That at should get better when the engines are run in; I'm guessing 9 g/hr at 18 kts to give 2 mpg or better, working from the standard Honda 150 that uses 4.5 gall /hr at 4000 revs.......

anterak

Visit site
Here is real infos about consumption after this holidays :

For info : boat weight around 4,5 T with 2 x 150 verado, 400 L fuel, 100 L water, 2 adults + 2 childs with all stuff inside ...

Between 2500-3000 T/min we are @ 7,8 Knots and using 17-20 L/hours
Around 4500 T/min we are @ 20 knots and using 60 L/hours

This is real consumption gave by vessel view 4

rustybarge

Visit site
Here is real infos about consumption after this holidays :

For info : boat weight around 4,5 T with 2 x 150 verado, 400 L fuel, 100 L water, 2 adults + 2 childs with all stuff inside ...

Between tel:2500-3000 T/min we are @ 7,8 Knots and using 17-20 L/hours
Around 4500 T/min we are @ 20 knots and using 60 L/hours

This is real consumption gave by vessel view 4

here's the fuel consumption for a Merry fisher 925, same weight with 320 hp diesel: 55ltr/hr at 20kts.......

[
imagejpg1_zps301f650e.jpg

rustybarge

Visit site
It is difficult to compare a diesel engine with a gasoline engine. RPM are not the same between these 2 engines.

At at normal cruise, about 20 kts in a planing boat is a good starting point. The fuel consumption graphs will overlap for most engines; although a bigger engine running at lower revs is sometimes more economical.

what is evident is that once revs on an outboard go over 4000 revs, or 2500 revs on a modern diesel, the fuel consumption increases very rapidly.

as your figures demonstrate the fuel consumption on a 4.5 tons planing boat is nearly identical with modern electronic injection outboards or diesel; and when you consider the purchase price of the diesels at twice the price, the age of outboards has really arrived......:):)

romans8

Visit site
Fuel consumption

At at normal cruise, about 20 kts in a planing boat is a good starting point. The fuel consumption graphs will overlap for most engines; although a bigger engine running at lower revs is sometimes more economical.

what is evident is that once revs on an outboard go over 4000 revs, or 2500 revs on a modern diesel, the fuel consumption increases very rapidly.

as your figures demonstrate the fuel consumption on a 4.5 tons planing boat is nearly identical with modern electronic injection outboards or diesel; and when you consider the purchase price of the diesels at twice the price, the age of outboards has really arrived......:):)

I agree we now have a Antares 30 fly with Volvo 370 and find that once we go over 2500 revs we start to plane well and are at about 15 knots at about 2700 revs we reach a point that we are going well and using about 35 - 38 ltrs per hour .
We have now completed about 55 hours on new boat so still learning the best hours per litre revs.
Our 8.80 certainly was fast.

Last edited:

rwoofer

Visit site
I agree we now have a Antares 30 fly with Volvo 370 and find that once we go over 2500 revs we start to plane well and are at about 10 knots at about 2700 revs we reach a point that we are going well and using about 35 - 38 ltrs per hour .
We have now completed about 55 hours on new boat so still learning the best hours per litre revs.
Our 8.80 certainly was fast.

I know that this is a "it depends" question, but in the scheme of things I would not say 10 knots is planing in a 30 foot boat. To my mind, "most" boats don't really start planing until above 15 knots or so. In my Merry Fisher I reckon it is only really planing at about 18 knots.