Beneteau Antares 8.80

anterak

Visit site
Then all your evidence support my choice. Outboard Rules ;-) ... I also begin to plan around 15-16 Knots

Our summary (with my wife who analyze very good also) after 15 days of navigation with our brand new Antares 8.80 with 2 x 150 hp verado outboard and after discovering rpm/speed/consumption datas :

- when the sea is calm and we have to go somewhere around 16 Nm or more , the best is to navigate at cruise speed, around 20 Knots, of course we then burn around 60 liter/h but we use also less time for only %20 more fuel consumption

For example for a 16 Nm trip :
8 knots = 20 L/h
20 knots = 60 L/h

@ 8 knots = 2 hours navigation = 2 h x 20 L = 40 L
@ 20 knots = 48 min navigation = 48 L

- when we are chilling close to the bay then de 7-8 Knots speed is the best and give us economic consumption around 20 L/h
- we exclude all speed between 8 and 19-20 Knots except if the weather force us to navigate with more speed due to the waves shapes.

anterak

Visit site
Here is some new picts of the first 2014 model Beneteau Antares 8.80

bat001.jpg

bat002.jpg

bat003.jpg

bat007.jpg

bateau-ex.jpg

bateau-no.jpg

Last edited:

rwoofer

Visit site
- we exclude all speed between 8 and 19-20 Knots except if the weather force us to navigate with more speed due to the waves shapes.

I find similar, although because mine is a bit smaller it is 6-7 knots or 17-18knots+. Anything in between gives virtually no fuel benefit and takes longer.

anterak

Visit site
and you don"t see the mid cabin !
I'm also surprise how long is a 8.80 hull when i lay down in the master bed looking backward to the cockpit.
Most of the time we are 4 person (2 adult + 2 child (7 and 9 years-old) is really an ideal size.
My only complaint is the size of that boat when navigating in big sea (by big sea i mean 1m with 4 seconds waves and about 3-4 Bf), when you begin to feel a little less secure, you may begin to think about a bigger boat 42 or 44 feet. For the rest, when the sea is correct, it's the ideal companion here in Aegan Sea, with 20 knot of cruise speed you can easily switch from one island to another in 1 or 2 hours. With 90 cm draught you can easily enter deeper in any creek where sail boat can not reach.

rustybarge

Visit site
and you don"t see the mid cabin !
I'm also surprise how long is a 8.80 hull when i lay down in the master bed looking backward to the cockpit.
Most of the time we are 4 person (2 adult + 2 child (7 and 9 years-old) is really an ideal size.
My only complaint is the size of that boat when navigating in big sea (by big sea i mean 1m with 4 seconds waves and about 3-4 Bf), when you begin to feel a little less secure, you may begin to think about a bigger boat 42 or 44 feet. For the rest, when the sea is correct, it's the ideal companion here in Aegan Sea, with 20 knot of cruise speed you can easily switch from one island to another in 1 or 2 hours. With 90 cm draught you can easily enter deeper in any creek where sail boat can not reach.

This is is the real bonus, and you can tilt up the OB's too; compare that to the Antares 30 with its prop shaft and rudder hanging down. All the fun's to be had close into the shoreline and up shallow rivers, what I think the Americans call 'gunkholing', and if you do hit something you can always raise your OB's up to clear the obstruction.

The yanks have been using big OB's for years on their sports fishers; about time people on this side of the pond cottoned on to the advantages.:cool:

rwoofer

Visit site
On my Merry Fisher I go into the shallows and jump out in either my swimming trunks or waders(depending on water temp) and pull the boat into the real shallows (30cm) that you can access with the outboard up.

Garold

Visit site
As I mentioned on another thread, we have just purchased a Beneteau Antares 8.80 with twin Suzuki 150hp outboards from the Southampton Boat Show.

Since she is a boat in the show we should take delivery in about 3-4 weeks once they have finished PDI.

The boat is 2015 model but not sure what differences this makes.

The engines have new 'fly by wire' controls so no mechanical control cables but lots of info at helm on performance.

This is a totally fresh start in boating for us. We are also going to dry dry stack berthing which is a first for us too.

So, the next 12 months is a bit of an experiment to see if faster boating in a small boat with petrol outboards works for us. It's a bit of a change from sailing in a 40 foot catamaran!

Cheers

Garold

rwoofer

Visit site
Congratulations and I for one would be interested in how you get along as the Antares 880, MF855 (same hull pretty much) are possibles for me to upgrade to.

Garold

Visit site
Congratulations and I for one would be interested in how you get along as the Antares 880, MF855 (same hull pretty much) are possibles for me to upgrade to.

I shall post some details of our experiences.

We looked at the MF855 at the boat show too.

I liked the outside look of the MF855 but since there are only two of us most of the time, the separate bedrooms were unnecessary and we preferred the open plan style of the Antares.

Also, the price was significantly less for the Beneteau. We also preferred the U shaped saloon seating arrangement on the Antares.

Cheers

Garold

Oscar24

Visit site
As I mentioned on another thread, we have just purchased a Beneteau Antares 8.80 with twin Suzuki 150hp outboards from the Southampton Boat Show.

Since she is a boat in the show we should take delivery in about 3-4 weeks once they have finished PDI.

The boat is 2015 model but not sure what differences this makes.

The engines have new 'fly by wire' controls so no mechanical control cables but lots of info at helm on performance.

This is a totally fresh start in boating for us. We are also going to dry dry stack berthing which is a first for us too.

So, the next 12 months is a bit of an experiment to see if faster boating in a small boat with petrol outboards works for us. It's a bit of a change from sailing in a 40 foot catamaran!

Cheers

Garold

Congrats Garold on your choice of boat.
I didn't get to go on the Antares 8.80 but i did think it looked very smart from the outside. Woodwork also looked to be better than the MF range.
Will be interesting to hear what the overall running cost is like with the twin OB setup over the single.

I had a good look over the MF855 with twin OB's and was very impressed with it. Very clever use of clear perspex allowing light into the front cabin.
Was just a pity that the woodwork was a bit 'cheap' looking with exposed screws. How much extra would it have cost Jeanneau to use a nice bit of teak?

anterak

Visit site
Congrats for you purchase, you'll be very happy, you can trust me :) We got ours just 5 month ago and we totalized 80 hours of navigation with twin mercury verado 150 hp.
We choose also this model for the same reasons : open place design, asymmetric interior design, large window and lot of light. We purchased almost all the option, except the solar protection and hot air system, in replace we have air conditioning, it's a very useful feature where we navigate (Turkey). After one summer, i can tell you that average fuel consumption with twin verado 150 is around 3,5 L/Nm.

Garold

Visit site
Congrats for you purchase, you'll be very happy, you can trust me :) We got ours just 5 month ago and we totalized 80 hours of navigation with twin mercury verado 150 hp.
We choose also this model for the same reasons : open place design, asymmetric interior design, large window and lot of light. We purchased almost all the option, except the solar protection and hot air system, in replace we have air conditioning, it's a very useful feature where we navigate (Turkey). After one summer, i can tell you that average fuel consumption with twin verado 150 is around 3,5 L/Nm.

Thanks for the congrats chaps.

We should have the handover in about 3-4 weeks.

Since we are using the boat in the UK we will be having a few extras fitted.

At the minute the list includes heating, extra house battery with an inverter, electric toilet, and possibly a canopy so that we can use the cockpit when it's raining. We will probably take our time to make these additions throughout the winter months.

I will feed some info back to the forum when we have used the boat for a while.

Garold

anterak

Visit site
I'm very curious to read your conclusion about consumption with these engines. I was first looking for Suzuki also, but it was too early for the electronique controls models and new lean burn engine

Garold

Visit site
I'm very curious to read your conclusion about consumption with these engines. I was first looking for Suzuki also, but it was too early for the electronique controls models and new lean burn engine

I'd hope that the electronic controls and instruments give me some information on fuel consumption. Unfortunately, a visit to the Suzuki outboard stand at Southampton Boat Show was not very helpful and I'm still not sure what info I will have at the helm.

The lean burn technology is a significant influencer for me because I am hoping that the fuel consumption with outboards is not much more than equivalent diesels. Though petrol is more expensive than diesel, I would expect the lesser servicing and fixing costs on the outboards to make the overall running costs similar to a similar sized diesel stern drive boat.

And, according to everyone that I have asked, I'd hope to have better reliability from the outboards too.

Garold