Beneteau Antares 8.80

rwoofer

Visit site
The biggest new Merry Fisher is the 855. 8m and only available with outboards. The single engined 300hp version with a few essential "extras" is circa £90k. Insane, IMO.

Better off with a used 805 by a mile i think.

I think the 855 is actually a much bigger and better packaged boat IMHO. Proper island berth in main cabin and good sized second cabin.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
On the basis of the test drive on the Jenneau I reckon on crusing speed about 20knts, fuel consumption 20ltrs/hour going by the smart gauges. Pootling around, which I intend to do, considerably better, she planes at around 14knts so can improve on that.
My point is, it suits me, I looked at your boat (online) which is immaculate and looks lovely but we wanted a new boat and I prefer petrol to diesel.

Certainly not trying to sell you my boat, or to slate your new purchase.

If you can get 1nm to a litre of fuel with an 8m pilothouse, that'll be very good going indeed. Would be interested to hear how you find it after you've had it a few weeks.

Visit site
On the basis of the test drive on the Jenneau I reckon on crusing speed about 20knts, fuel consumption 20ltrs/hour going by the smart gauges. .

Would be lovely if you averaged that sort of figure, but at 20 knots I suspect it will be 30 or a little more lph depending on conditions.

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Would be lovely if you averaged that sort of figure, but at 20 knots I suspect it will be 30 or a little more lph depending on conditions.

Hi, you could be right. The boat I tried was "bare" with very little fuel in the tank and no water or stores on board.
If it uses 30lts per hour at 20knts I won't be unhappy and I would be happy with an overall average of 20lts per hour.
All boats are a compromise and we have no illusions about the use we will be putting this boat to. It is effectively a floating caravan that we can move to prettier places as and when we feel like it and as such the accommodation aspects were high up the list of priorities. Plus as I said, I like the simplicity of the outboard installation. Out of interest I previously had a Sea Saga 29CV (230hp Yanmar, shaft) and the fuel consumption on that never really impressed. I seem to recall a trip to Scillies and back from Falmouth cruising at about 15knts using about 30ltrs per hour.
I looked at several 805s and they are a nice boat but we wanted new and petrol and as above accommodation.
I'll post pictures and more info when I take delivery next year.
Meantime Romans8 can keep us informed of his progress with the Beneteau

romans8

Visit site
Anatares 8.80 300HP suzuki engine - Fuel used

Just read your latest blog and I have just completed a calculation of the fuel used over 112 hours this year.
We are often out with 9-10 people on board - night use - trips in all weathers - novice drivers wanting to get speed out of Romans 8! slow trips with the wife - sporty runs with the stand up jet ski - very much a full load up often, fuel, water, tender - never out with less than 6-7 people on board with all their gear. we have a big family.

When we use it carefully I am pleasantly surprised on its economy, the art is to use the LEAN BURN rev band range to obtain the best fuel economy - Suzuki have clear guidelines - if you stay within the 3000 - 4600 range it planes well and gives great economy - brilliant matched power for this boat.

We have used 2,033.32 litres of petrol.

What a great time we have had!

It is better in a crowd!

Last edited:

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Fuel Consumption

That is excellent, if I get near that with the MF & Yamaha I shall be very pleased. Approx. 18ltrs per hour with the usage you describe seems pretty good to me.

Last edited:

fi3

Visit site
The comments in this forum have been very useful. Having looked at both MF855 and Antares 8.8, I am leaning towards the Antares (with 2 x 150HP Yamahas). I am just about to make a commitment, and wanted to know if anyone had updates on either of the boats. This will be my first boat, basically for the same purpose as Romans8 (day trips with family and friends, so space is important). I also like the air step which I think the MF doesn't have.

Quest

Visit site
Fi3,
I think Paul from Romans8 is probably your man as he had the first 880 in the uk and has over a hundred hours in the last year. Hopefully, he will be along soon to advise (might be worth a pm?). Without wishing to speak for him I think he will encourage you to go for the boat, whilst questioning the wisdom of the 2 engine setup (additional purchase cost, servicing costs and heavier fuel usage as the two engines will use substantially more fuel than the single engine 300hp lean burn Suzuki. I had this conversation with Paul and Chris from Warsash Marine myself and whilst I can't recall the exact figures they were clearly convinced the big lean burn 300 was the way to go for best value.) the other thing is that the twin engine config will reduce your range but if you are only day boating, this may not be a big issue for you.

Having spent a couple of days on the 880, I certainly enjoyed the boat and was impressed, though I decided to go for twin diesel inboards myself.

On the plus side, the 880 will look like a monster with a big twin engine setup on the rear! Nice.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

romans8

Visit site
Single engine verus Twin engine

Hi - I choose single engine Suzuki 300HP to take advantage of the Suzuki leanburn and to save on servicing costs.
Antares 8.80 is a great boat now just fitted a Rear canopy - transformed the boat - made its passenger area bigger and warmer in these cold days - the family has much more space and we will certainly use the boat now on wet and cold days. Had it made locally in Southampton by GP Sails and AdvancedCovers pictures available.
Had Teckdeck floor fitted in rear cockpit which enhances the boat and is much softer under foot - plus if kids drop anything on deck not worried about it damaging the Gelcoat.
Great boat is the Antares - very much admired in marinas visited - Handles like a bigger boat.
Regards
:)

Last edited:

fi3

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback (Andrew/Paul). You are quite right about the fuel consumption, although it's not so important for me because typical outings will be between between 2-3 hours every weekend during the dry season (6/7 months a yr in the tropics). The twin engines will help in manoeuvring the boat (without a bow thruster). Nevertheless, will think about switching to the Suzukis. Pleased to hear all's still well with yours, bespoke upgrades sound nice. Let me know where you post pictures.
Thanks.

romans8

Visit site
Bow thruster

Having had to moor up in restricted Marinas in strong winds and ebb tides - I would always on this size boat opt for a Bow Thruster even with twin engines as the vessel has high windage area.
Regarding Suzuki engines investigate the LeanBurn aspect of the 150HP as not all engines in the Suzuki range are lean burn - this is another reason why I went for 300HP - go to this site for info http://www.charterworld.com/news/suzukis-lean-burn-control-system-faster

But also go to this site to see which engines are LeanBurn technology.
http://www.suzuki-marine.co.uk/outboards/
I had a LeanBurn 70HP on one of my boats which is why I bought 300HP leanburn for the Antares 8.80 - LeanBurn actually works well!!!
Contact Suzuki for up todate info on LeanBurn there is a rev band between 3100 - 5100 where the engine runs at its most efficient for fuel economy and the instruments will inform of the fuel usage providing you have the Suzuki Modular Instrument System (SMIS).

http://www.suzuki-marine.co.uk/news/detail.php?id=400761

Trust this is not to technical - all the above will make your boating easy and enjoyable as it is not very complicated - getting it right first is important.
Regards

fi3

Visit site
Bow Thruster

Thanks for all the useful the tips - the bow thruster is an expensive option, but like you said, better to get it right the first time, don't want to have any regrets after spending a good deal of money. I will look at the links for Suzuki.

Quest

Visit site
Whilst I have had a Suzuki outboard engine and was impressed by it, in truth, I don't think there's a great deal to choose between Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda at the moment. All fantastic engines. And whilst Suzuki market their own lean burn technology, I think others have similar, by another name. Personally, I would choose the engine based upon other factors such as proximity of the local dealers, servicing and after sales support. No point buying from a Suzuki dealer 50 miles along the coast if there is a Yamaha supplier close by, for example.

I also agree with Paul that with Suzuki gradually introducing lean burn across their range, no point buying a Suzuki engine without that technology.

fi3

Visit site
Engines

Good points. I checked the Suzuki 150HPs are not lean burn. So key thing is service, and I think Yamaha has better support where I am. Will need to investigate further, as this will be the determining factor!
Thanks.

romans8

Visit site
Anti-fouling

My boat was antifouled with the latest CopperCoat treatment - worth investigating as so far it has lived up to its claim "CopperCoat is a powerful and long lasting anti-fouling" as my boat only has a light slime on the hull.
I know levels of growth will vary from season to season, location to location, and from boat to boat.
At the most basic level, the rule is - clean the hull when it is dirty, and leave it alone when it is clean.
I note that Sea Lift 2 are offering a discount for CopperCoat customers on a lift and clean till February 2013.
Worth taking advantage of this 'Copper Coat Offer' for those who have invested in coppercoat antifouling.

fi3

Visit site
Blue Hull

Any thoughts on the steel blue hull which Bene offers as an option? I think it looks good, but not sure if it will be harder to maintain.

Quest

Visit site
I had a blue hull on my previous Jeanneau Merry Fisher. Loved it. Equally though, the 880 looks good in white I think. Not much in it either way. Wouldn't think the maintenance issues re fading gelcoat etc is likely to affect for a good few years yet. Go with your instinct and heart...