Beneteau Antares 8.80

Quest

Visit site
Sounds great. The C.I. on my ever growing "to do" list, but I haven't got there yet. We had a good look at the 880 and visited Paul (Romans8) for a couple of days to have a closer look. Went in another direction eventually but was impressed with both Romans8 and Paul's hospitality!! I am sure you wil be delighted with the 880 and will have many good times. Congratulations.

Our boat is based in Plymouth so hope to make it across the Channel in time.

Best wishes,

Andrew

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Which one?

Hi, I too am looking at this boat, very impressed and like the idea of petrol instead of nasty smelly diesel.
Still unsure as to whether to go for the Antares or Merry Fisher version. Sliding door is handy on Merry Fisher though the staff on their boat couldn't have been less interested in selling me one! Man from Dickies on Antares stand very helpful. The MF seems to work out about 10k dearer as best as I can make out. Is it the same hull anyone?
Tempted to go back down and place order this weekend.!

romans8

Visit site
Antares 8.80

Great boat - looked at merry Fisher - prefer the space on Antares inside - take out lots of family so need interior space - we use all the berths plus we had made up a cushion to make main area into double bed.
Boat Moored on Hamble pleased to show you if you wish.
Had extras fitted - having a Dune made for rear deck.
Very quiet boat with outboard engine.

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Thank you

Hi, Thanks for the response and welcome.

Thank you for the offer Romans8, I am hoping to have a trial in the Merry Fisher next week. Do you know if the hulls are the same, Antares make a big thing of the "Air" lift. My wife is not a great sailor though she has a go so the sliding door access on Merry Fisher would be useful. Also the rear seat on the Antares is not usable when the engine is lifted whereas it is on the MF. So swinging towards the MF today...however the wind could change direction! heading down tomorrow to the show to have another look and haggle!
Have you found a way of securing an inflatable? I guess one could put it in the front deck but a drawback of the outboard is you one can't use davits.

Will keep you informed on decision and could be in touch re your offer.

Regards
Rodger

romans8

Visit site
Tender for Antares 8.80

Hi,
I have a tender and it stowed easily in one of rear caverness hatches - have picture. Tender pumps up in under 4 mins so not a problem.
The Air Step is certainly an advantage as my wife does not like boats much but is ok with 8.80 as it adds stabillity.
We often sit in rear cockpit - very easy to tip seats at rear when we leave boat to tilt engine - never been an issue.
Try Warsash Marine for a good deal - they offered best deal when I was negotiating.
We went through similar issues when we bought - my wife has metal knee so getting on and off was important - steps into Antares was the easiest configuration.
Regards

Last edited:

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Been and gorn and done it!

Oh dear, wallet is in state of extreme trauma. Visited the Boat Show yesterday and placed order... we decided in the end to go with the MF which we feel suits our cruising needs better than the Antares. In the end it boils down to personal preference, there is little to choose between them but my wife much preferred the interior of the MF. We bought through BHG Marine in Lymington who were very helpful.
Chris from Warsash Marine was also very helpful in quoting for the Antares.
We take delivery next March, meantime saving pennies!

Thanks for the advice to all.

rwoofer

Visit site
Great boat - looked at merry Fisher - prefer the space on Antares inside - take out lots of family so need interior space - we use all the berths plus we had made up a cushion to make main area into double bed.

Curious as to how you think the space on the Antares is larger? I thought the opposite so compared their layout diagrams (scaled to the same size) and indeed the MF wheelhouse doors start further back than the Antares (assuming diagrams are accurate), so more space devoted to inside.

Useful for me as with young family thinking I might need to go Mobo to get everyone out and with 5 of us space is important. Didn't manage to look at Antares at SBS unfortunately.

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Which Engine

How exciting! Congratulations, really pleased for you. I bet March seems a long way away just now, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Which engine or engines did you opt for?

:)

Hi, sorry only just logged back on to Forum been too busy looking where to hide the balance I need to pay to stop me spending it before I have to pay for boat!!

The trial sail had a Suzuki fitted which was ok but as we are buying from a Yamaha dealer we went with the Yamaha 300hp. More service agents etc. Twin engines cost nearly 10k more and bring other much discussed drawbacks.

Here's hoping for a good Summer next year!

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I'm planning on buying a second hand Merry Fisher 805 (with 200hp diesel) .... looked at all the new ones at the Cannes Boat Show and was surprised at being told that they don't put diesels in any of the smaller 'peche promenade' boats any more ... it might have lost something in translation but I thought he said under 36 feet .... can this be right?

romans8

Visit site
completed 112 hrs with New Beneteau Antares 8.80

Just completed 112 hours on Beneteau Antares 8.80.
Brilliant boat - handles well with Air Step in all sea conditions
Fitted with Lean Burn Suzuki 300 hp outboard engine - very quiet
Trim Tabs are a must with single engine - fitted AIS class B unit as we use it at night - lots of storage space:).
Often out with 10 people - lots of space - Handles like a much bigger boat.
We used it as a Media boat at the Round the World 2011/2012 Clipper Finish
Good Family boat - good fuel economy.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
I'm planning on buying a second hand Merry Fisher 805 (with 200hp diesel) .... looked at all the new ones at the Cannes Boat Show and was surprised at being told that they don't put diesels in any of the smaller 'peche promenade' boats any more ... it might have lost something in translation but I thought he said under 36 feet .... can this be right?

The biggest new Merry Fisher is the 855. 8m and only available with outboards. The single engined 300hp version with a few essential "extras" is circa £90k. Insane, IMO.

Better off with a used 805 by a mile i think.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
The biggest new Merry Fisher is the 855. 8m and only available with outboards. The single engined 300hp version with a few essential "extras" is circa £90k. Insane, IMO.

Better off with a used 805 by a mile i think.

Too right! .... and as for a 300hp outboard I think you'd need a very hefty bollard somewhere aft to tow the fuel barge!

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Horses for Courses

Too right! .... and as for a 300hp outboard I think you'd need a very hefty bollard somewhere aft to tow the fuel barge!

Well I have have just bought one as has Romans who started the thread and we are both very pleased with them.
No more smelly diesel, quieter, faster and not that much difference in fuel consumption when cruising. Much, much lower maintenance and more space.
When you think of what you get, for what you pay, all boats are a rip off compared to cars but for under 90k on the water with as many extras as you can think of they are ok.
As for oldgit; I don't plan to go out in all weathers so you can do that, I'll just sit in my plastic tub and enjoy the comfort.
Not a Botnia (think BMW) they are Fords but none the worse for that.
Interestingly I have just come back from a cruise round the Norwegian Fjords and saw quite a few of the marlin versions in Marinas; so if they are good enough for them....
Meantime, get back to your pipe and polish a few ropes while I have another G&T !!!!

Last edited:

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Well I have have just bought one as has Romans who started the thread and we are both very pleased with them.
No more smelly diesel, quieter, faster and not that much difference in fuel consumption when cruising. Much, much lower maintenance and more space.
When you think of what you get, for what you pay, all boats are a rip off compared to cars but for under 90k on the water with as many extras as you can think of they are ok.
As for oldgit; I don't plan to go out in all weathers so you can do that, I'll just sit in my plastic tub and enjoy the comfort.
Not a Botnia (think BMW) they are Fords but none the worse for that.
Interestingly I have just come back from a cruise round the Norwegian Fjords and saw quite a few of the marlin versions in Marinas; so if they are good enough for them....
Meantime, get back to your pipe and polish a few ropes while I have another G&T !!!!

So what's the fuel burn and cruise speeds then ?

webby

www.hirecentres.com
Cruising Speed etc

On the basis of the test drive on the Jenneau I reckon on crusing speed about 20knts, fuel consumption 20ltrs/hour going by the smart gauges. Pootling around, which I intend to do, considerably better, she planes at around 14knts so can improve on that.
My point is, it suits me, I looked at your boat (online) which is immaculate and looks lovely but we wanted a new boat and I prefer petrol to diesel.