"Bayesian" s/y sinks in Palermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Change

Visit site
Sounds like some / most of the windows are still in place according to the diver reports -
  • Divers are unable to see inside the yacht as 3cm (1.2inch) thick glasswindows are preventing access (BBC News)
I'd expect that once one large window was sucked out, the pressure would equalise pretty rapidly. I wouldn't expect them all to be sucked out simultaneously.

But I still think the most plausible scenario is that all the hatches were left open.

Bouba

Visit site
Other ‘experts’ are saying a direct assault by a tornado wouldn’t have sunk such a ship…and the best explanation is she dragged her anchor and hit a reef
Not sure I agree

lustyd

Visit site
Other ‘experts’ are saying a direct assault by a tornado wouldn’t have sunk such a ship…and the best explanation is she dragged her anchor and hit a reef
Not sure I agree
Divers already confirmed there's no damage so it's not that.

billskip

Visit site
Not sure I agree
Whatever...
Insurance company is going be looking for a get out/loss adjust cause, also the manufacturer, so it's going to be an anyone's guess...

geem

Visit site
When my son worked in the BVI they closed most tourist places for the whole of August and most of September. He left the year before the double hurricanes 2 weeks apart.
Yes, that happens in various parts of the Caribbean. Its low season.

Bouba

Visit site
Whatever...
Insurance company is going be looking for a get out/loss adjust cause, also the manufacturer, so it's going to be an anyone's guess...
You don’t know that is how manufactures and insurance companies treat high net worth individuals…the rich aren’t like you and me

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
You don’t know that is how manufactures and insurance companies treat high net worth individuals…the rich aren’t like you and me
Its a 2008 build vessel, refitted three times since then (last one in 2020). How would the manufacturer ever be liable.

Also these big yachts are build and designed to class for any single item, and even if you change a boating item it has to be again to class.
Built to ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) ✠A1, Yachting Service, AMS, ACCU classification society rules, and is MCA Compliant.

fazz

Visit site
Agree. We are talking abut a professional crew on duty for watches at anchor, warnings in the weather forecast, top of the range radar available to see what is coming in etc. I'm sure that configured suitably she could easily have survived hurricane force winds/tornado/waterspouts and also that they saw the storm approaching, but were thinking it would be a normal thunderstorm which would be a trifle in something that size. Actually the 15 guests and crew that were rescued were most likely up and about doing their jobs or awoken by the storm and out of their cabins watching the weather for a while when disaster suddenly struck.

I'm pretty sure there will be lessons to learn for the superyacht industy when the report comes out. The details won't be too applicable at the level most of us are sailing at. But discipline and being prepared for unlikely but severe eventualities are pretty universal.
This ^^^

It doesn't matter whether the event was a freak weather phenomenon or its relationship to the boats setup. From design to construction to crewing, at this end of the market the safety and welfare of the owner their family and guests are about as sacred as it gets. They should never be at any risk - literally zero. The boat never sinks, and even if it could the passengers would be on a support vessel when it happened.

flaming

Visit site
To be honest, I those seeking to assign blame to boat design etc are maybe a little guilty of assuming that we really can tame nature.

Looking at footage of waterspouts etc, then imagining one hitting a boat, even a really big one, unseen in the dark, I'm wondering if you just have to put that down to "there but for the grace of God" and be thankful that some people, especially the kid, survived.

ylop

Visit site
I assume that it’s not going to have much value if they recover it - but potentially the safest way to get the bodies back and determine the contributing factors is to refloat it - that sort of thing has been done before for MAIB investigations.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Yes, it's the down flooding angle we are all guessing..

It is a factor in Stix calculations so someone, somewhere will know.
I’m sure the downflooding angle is impressive, it needs to be as water where such events occur is never flat. The water just slops in by the bathtub full when you’re leaned over far enough for the waves to do their thing. The C32 is good at that stuff, don’t take it the wrong way. I’m more pointing out that the very best designs can still be overcome in the wrong circumstances.

Sea Change

Visit site
I'm not suggesting my theory is correct, it's just a theory, however you don't seem to understand how 'suction ' works..
Oh right, I thought it was down to a pressure difference, that's entirely based on intuition and I'd be happy if you could explain where I'm going wrong.

Bouba

Visit site
Its a 2008 build vessel, refitted three times since then (last one in 2020). How would the manufacturer ever be liable.

Also these big yachts are build and designed to class for any single item, and even if you change a boating item it has to be again to class.
Built to ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) ✠A1, Yachting Service, AMS, ACCU classification society rules, and is MCA Compliant.
I was just replying to another comment…she was an award winning superyacht…a thing of beauty…

Status
Not open for further replies.