"Bayesian" s/y sinks in Palermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-1

Visit site
So let’s drop all this open hatch and crew running around nonsense .

Either the rear patio doors were opened...

:unsure:

I mean the patio doors might have even dropped off there runners when the hull was 70-90 degree knocked over by the storm ? Or because they are not made of 3 cm armoured glass like the hull and side windows ( why would they ? )

Because it's a sea going vessel "Built to ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) ✠A1, Yachting Service, AMS, ACCU classification society rules, and is MCA Compliant."

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
That 56M vessel will have large sliding doors at Bothe the rear saloon and forward accommodation access, there are two explanations why this might be open or unsecured:
They were purposely left open or unsecured during the night, it's quite probable that the air-conditioning to the main saloon, dining and recreational areas was switched off during the night with individual cabins using air conditioning. I have been on large motor yachts 23M and 35M where this was the case.

The second and most plausible reason is that the crew were brought on deck as the weather quickly deteriorated and the doors were closed but not locked ( secured) as the ship heeled the doors could have slid open. This explains why most of the crew were saved, they were on deck ready to attend the anchor and possibly deploy fenders should they be blown into the proximity of the other vessel. All crew members including stewards and stewardess's on such vessels are trained in deck work.

As I have said once those doors are open with a gap of 2to 3M the quantity of water entering would be enormous and overpowering and the vessel would founder very quickly.

Yup. Open openings. Occam's razor supports that.

Time Out

Visit site

The rear ( patio) doors are usually on sensors and close automatically. It’s possible that the doors were open when / if crew or guests escaped via this exit way at the exact same time it was knocked flat. That would be one explanation. As for portholes / hatches etc they would be closed due to aircon / hotel mode. Usually.

My assumption is the garage door / bathing platform was closed. But I’m not even going down that road.

All guesses at this stage but at least the topic has moved on from small boat mentality.

Mark-1

Visit site
The rear ( patio) doors are usually on sensors and close automatically. It’s possible that the doors were open when / if crew or guests escaped via this exit way at the exact same time it was knocked flat. That would be one explanation. As for portholes / hatches etc they would be closed due to aircon / hotel mode. Usually.

The confused face was because the poster started off saying water ingress through an opening was nonsense and a paragraph later it was his primary theory!

If we're going to say that any significant openings close automatically then I guess damage is more likely. If it was damage I'd have thought it was more likely a grand piano in freefall hit glass in the knockdown rather than bog standard B&Q patio doors falling out.

Mind you, electric doors that submerge in a knockdown don't sound too clever.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
6E3E950C-EF51-469F-82EF-3ADE09CDFC22.jpeg1DA1EF06-3709-45B7-9B04-2696E2BDFF28.jpeg
Can’t see these NOT surviving a knock down . I mean instantly flooding with the boards in place and all buttoned up .

Those rear patio doors on the boat in question look wrong to me .No amount of it cost [ insert large number ] therefore it must be right convinces me .

After the reports or even now I would not want to be the owner of the sister ships ….trying to convince the wife ……

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
The confused face was because the poster started off saying water ingress through an opening was nonsense and a paragraph later it was his primary theory!

If we're going to say that any significant openings close automatically then I guess damage is more likely. If it was damage I'd have thought it was more likely a grand piano in freefall hit glass in the knockdown rather than bog standard B&Q patio doors falling out.
I meant hatches small boat sleeping with them open sans Aircon and went to qualify even on our 15 M we sleep buttoned up AC running and geny on .Large boats esp 55 m never sleep with open hatches inc the rear patio door in this case .I explained how it could be breached and check out the design/ location / free board of the glass .
Compare such opening with the pics of the two older boats in post 250 particularly the first pic .

Douglas

Visit site
Just to say very impressed with all the experience and knowledge apparent on this thread ... so I'll confine myself to a few snippets from today's press:-

A freak “black swan” weather event led to the luxury Bayesian yacht sinking within minutes, maritime experts believe.
The unexpected formation of a tornado-like waterspout would have given the captain and terrified passengers little or no warning that the violent summer storm was about to turn into a catastrophe. Weather events characterised by their extreme rarity and severe impact are known as “black swan events”. They are considered unpredictable and beyond normal expectations. Past examples include Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

A UK-based industry expert said it should have taken hours for the 56m Bayesian to fill up with enough water to sink it, making its swift demise difficult to understand. “I don’t think the industry has ever faced anything like this. It’s a horror story,” he said, declining to be named.

[Name withheld] a former Royal Navy commander and warship captain, said the idea that the mast would make the ship unstable was “just incorrect”. He said: “That mast is designed to have a massive sail hanging off it. So on its own with no sail, that’s not what has caused the boat to go over.”

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
[Name withheld] a former Royal Navy commander and warship captain, said the idea that the mast would make the ship unstable was “just incorrect”. He said: “That mast is designed to have a massive sail hanging off it. So on its own with no sail, that’s not what has caused the boat to go over.”

Perhaps he would like to explain the video in post #13 ... I realise it was prevented from moving sideways by the quay it was moored to, but it got laid on its side under bare poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.