Bardsey Sound

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
I found that site, but I don't think it tells me at what time it turns in each direction. Slack at HW -0305, but then which way does it start to flow, and when is LW and its associated slack?

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
my reeds might be downstairs, or at least the old one, I will go look and see if it has a proper explanation. I generally just do as they tell me, i.e. start going north at x hours from HW Holyhead which is the standard port..

wanderlust

Visit site
On the lead up to high water in the Sound the tide is going from east to west. After high water in the Sound, the water goes west to east. It is best to go through with the tide if weather allows. In a SW wind the Sound is protected by Bardsey Island so just go with the flow. In my experience The Tripods is usually bumpier than the Sound itself. You can often go through the Sound with tide under you with a GPS showing 13 of 14 knots of boat speed if you get it right. Great fun and pretty safe in all but nasty weather. The Sound is a mile wide so not much to hit.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
If you have ANY doubts at all I would recommend going the pretty way - round the Island past the lighthouse! You may still get a few overfalls but nothing like as serious.

The Sound's fun when you get it right tho'.

colvic987

Visit site
Here you go, straight out of the lundy and irish sea pilot...

the sound should preferably be passed through at or near slack water. the main tidal streams through the sound run NW and SE. the NW stream begins at +0500 dover and the SE stream at -0100 dover during the last of the ebb, a eddy stream runs from trwyn cilan inshore along porth neigwl, passing through the sound between ynys gwylan fawr and the mainland, anticlockwise around aberdaron bay, around pen y cil, and inshore of carreg ddu to braich y pwll, this stream begins 2 hours before the main stream in bardsey sound turns to the nw. A similar stream sets in the opposite direction 2 hours before the main stream sets SE. Yachts can take advantage of these eddies in settled conditions..

the only 0bstructions with the sound are carreg ddu, a small island on the N side and maen bugail, a rock (drying4.1m) on the S side of the sound...

There are races off pen y cil, braich y pwll and main bugail at the strength of the tide, and strong winds can cause a confused and breaking sea in these localities, strong winds contrary to the main tidal flow can cause heavy and confused seas, making the sound impassable....

Should be enough info for you .....