Ball valve seacock leaks when closed

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
When I took the heads outlet hose off for percussive refurbishment yesterday there was a substantial trickle of water from the seacock when it was apparently tightly closed. I had to put a bung in while the hose was off.

Is there anything I can do with the boat in the water to try to fix this? (I have repeatedly opened and closed it).

It is obviously not an emergency, as there is a double-clipped hose attached that rises above the waterline, so I will leave replacement until next haulout. Howwever, I am curious as to the cause. Valve was fitted by me 4 years ago, DZR.

- W

Minerva

Visit site
How far below the water line is it? Could you fit a bung in from the outside to allow you to change the valve?

Or could you fit a new, second valve in series just now and then in the winter when hauled out remove the shonky one and re-fit the new and good one?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
How far below the water line is it? Could you fit a bung in from the outside to allow you to change the valve?

Or could you fit a new, second valve in series just now and then in the winter when hauled out remove the shonky one and re-fit the new and good one?
No space for 2nd valve, and major structural work (heads floor up) required to change.

Minerva

Visit site
Ok, how about;

If it's a ball valve and leaking, it stands to reason there is a foreign object (my bet is mollusc) in the valve. Could you open the valve with no pipe attached and give the aperture a quick going over with a half round file? See if that dislodges it?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Ok, how about;

If it's a ball valve and leaking, it stands to reason there is a foreign object (my bet is mollusc) in the valve. Could you open the valve with no pipe attached and give the aperture a quick going over with a half round file? See if that dislodges it?
I did give it a quick rummle from the outside with a screwdriver yesterday, but it made no difference. Might have another go another day from the water. No need to take the pipe off if done from in the water?

(or am I misunderstanding you?)

— W

Minerva

Visit site
my thinking was when I change my log paddlewheel transducer at the end of a sail, I can see a perfect blue circle through the thruhull when there is an inrush of water. If the same were to apply for your seacock then you might be able to see where a wee barnacle was hiding and knock it off...

ean_p

Visit site
If the valve was indeed fully closed then it would suggest that both seats and or the ball are badly damaged / pitted/ deformed / worn / encrusted. As the valve in effect has two seals then for it to leak suggests that the valve is in a poor state internally. Are you sure the valve was fully closed as just a few degrees away from its 90* rotation will expose a leak path either through or around the ball !

Dipper

Visit site
Can you fit a short length of hose to the valve so that the hose end is just above water level? You can then inspect the valve (open and closed) by looking down the hose without any risk of letting water into the boat.