Back winding

NigeCh

Visit site
Here\'s like an ocean crossing

When I do ocean crossing I spend freetime during the previous winter getting quiz questions together to have some fun during the daily grind of doing nothing.

Here's a question that nobody on a passage ever been able to solve: "From first principles, given Lat/Long 'A' and Lat/long 'B' what is the best course to steer between 'A' and 'B' and what will be the elapsed distance" No other information is given, but you have to have a calculator.

Backwinding to advantage is in the same category, just as the supposed advantages of lee-bowing are as well.

And when the genoa starts to backwind then .... it's time to start shouting at the crew.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Re: Here\'s like an ocean crossing

arctan((Cos(LatB plus LatA)/2 * (LonB - LonA))/(LatB - LatA)) resolved into the appropriate quadrant?

Distance is sqrt((Cos(LatB plus LatA)/2 * (LonB - LonA))^2 plus (LatB - LatA)^2) using mins

Don't seem to be able to use the plus sign when posting for some reason
<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by tome on 17/04/2003 13:21 (server time).</FONT></P>

DeeGee

Visit site
Re: Back winding OF THE GENOA

jimi - backwinding in the last para is backwinding of the main.

Backwinding in the most general case means air getting directed onto the lee side of a sail - this may be in the Yankee article about tricks for getting the genoa across, or in Al S's article (acknowledged as lifted from Mike McNamara) about the backwinding of the main on a Wayfarer.

So, everyone is right, cos it is a phenomenon which can crop up in a number of situations. It's like asking what does 'leeward' mean - depends on the context, and that is the answer to the original question.

Answer to Nigel's question is easy - 'My way'. :)>)

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all