Aux Outboard

markosy

Visit site
We have a 18ft Fletcher Faro and seek advice on the HP for an aux outboard and should it be 2 or 4 stroke.For use on the tidal Thames and next year portsmouth/Solent area.

Sneds

Visit site
Hi and welcome!

2 stroke/4 stroke? A much asked question. I would gp for a 9.9HP 2 stroke, mainly because it will weigh less and have less to go wrong.
Problem is, the next poster will probably disagree! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com
Two-strokes are getting hard to get and the price advantage has been eroded, unless you need the portability I would go for a four-stroke.

A 5 or 6hp should do as an auxillary, 8hp would be plenty.

PM me if I can help with prices. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I have been trying out a few aux engines with my Fletcher 19. I think you will need a minimum of 6hp, however if you want to push against wind/tide you will need an 8hp.

I would prefer a 2 stroke - less to go wrong. I am looking for a used 8hp saildrive type engine at the moment, but they are all silly money.

Mark

andy_wilson

Visit site
4Hp would be plenty to make progress against wind and or tide in the sort of conditions you will be taking a Faro out in.

Anything larger will have a noticable effect due to weight on the back. If you have a big motor on the back already it could also affect static stability, if you have a marginal amount of Hp presently, an extra 20 Kg on the transom might stop her getting on the plane.

Idealy get one with a remote tank that uses the same fuel as the main engine. That can pose a bit of a problem if the main motor has remote VRO, and therefore delivers neat petrol when the main engine is stopped.

P'raps a bit more info. required.

duncan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
4Hp would be plenty to make progress against wind and or tide in the sort of conditions you will be taking a Faro out in.

Anything larger will have a noticable effect due to weight on the back. If you have a big motor on the back already it could also affect static stability, if you have a marginal amount of Hp presently, an extra 20 Kg on the transom might stop her getting on the plane.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't get change out of 20kg from any 4hp I know.........equally you can get 5 for the same weight as 4 so why not?