New to motorboating - which boat?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Cruising at 8 to 10 knots may or may not be feasible depending on waterline length. SD boats are displacement until they get on the plane, The bit in the middle just uses loads of fuel. That said, the bit in the middle can be quite narrow. My 32 foot SD boat is happy at 6 to 7 knots at then gets on the plane at 13 knots and cruises comfortably at 15 knots. A couple of weeks ago, we left Weymouth at 0800 and were tied up in Dartmouth at 1200. Some hours later, the following yachts arrived. You'll love it!

Twin engines seem to be almost compulsory for, as you say, safety. One of the most common causes of engine failure is dirty fuel. Unless you have twin separate tanks, twin engines are no help. They also don't help much with maneuverability. A bow thruster is far more effective. For mechanical simplicity and lower servicing costs, I'd look for a single engine on a shaft drive. That said, your choice may be limited but the type of boat layout you like.
Twin engines don't help with manoeuvrability ? That's the daftest thing i have read on here in a long time, and i've read some daft things.

We have twin engines on shafts and a bow thruster. I rarely use the bow thruster, but can easily steer the boat using the engines, with no input from the wheel.

Greg2

Visit site
Whilst it is fair to say that a bowthruster with a single engine is a reasonably good combination in terms of manoeuvrability and, as SimonD says, there is much to be said for the simplicity of a single engine, it is also fair to say that there is no question that twin engines are in a different league when it comes to close quarters manoeuvring.

In the morning I am moving a boat at work from an impossibly tight mooring (on the basis that I put it there) and the twin outboards on a catamaran are what will give me the best chance of getting it out 😉

SimonD

Visit site
Twin engines don't help with manoeuvrability ? That's the daftest thing i have read on here in a long time, and i've read some daft things.

We have twin engines on shafts and a bow thruster. I rarely use the bow thruster, but can easily steer the boat using the engines, with no input from the wheel.
So, you easily steer your boat with your engines and rarely use the bow thruster. I easily steer my boat with the bow thruster and never use the engines (as I only have one). Perhaps what I should have said is that having a second engine just to make the boat more manoeuvrable is not a good argument (I would have said daft but I wouldn't be so rude).

PaulRainbow

Visit site
So, you easily steer your boat with your engines and rarely use the bow thruster. I easily steer my boat with the bow thruster and never use the engines (as I only have one). Perhaps what I should have said is that having a second engine just to make the boat more manoeuvrable is not a good argument (I would have said daft but I wouldn't be so rude).
What you said was :

"Twin engines seem to be almost compulsory for, as you say, safety. One of the most common causes of engine failure is dirty fuel. Unless you have twin separate tanks, twin engines are no help. They also don't help much with maneuverability. A bow thruster is far more effective."

That is incorrect. One engine ahead, one astern, vary RPM on engines if required and you don't need to touch the steering or use the bow thruster (most of the time).

A single engine with bow thruster does not have the same level of control.

FYI, most twin engined boats have separate tanks, mine certainly does.

Momac

Visit site
I know of quite a few 29 to 35ft boats with single tanks and twin engines.
If taking on dirty fuel it likely to affect both engines even if there are twin tanks.
I have seen a boat with twin primary fuel filters for each engine which can be changed over manually with a valve . This seems like a good modification.

A more likely cause of engine trouble is overheating which I have experienced and so have other people I know. This is where twin engines can get help get you to safety.

Ideally for someone who is happy with not going fast a main engine plus a small auxiliary engine seems like a good idea. I recently saw an Elling with this arrangement plus a nice aft cabin. It was a £600k boat and about 50ft .