Are chart tables a waste of space?

Are chart tables a waste of space or still relevant and useful?

• Waste of Space

• Necessary Space

• Can't live without it

Results are only viewable after voting.

lustyd

Visit site
If I was describing 'wasted space' in my boat, the chart table would be a long way down the list.
Berths for 6, in a boat that's cosy for two are at the top of that list.
I tend to think of that as lockers with padding rather than berths

ashtead

Visit site
If you have seats either side of the chart table not only can you do boaty stuff facing either forwards or backwards but also use it to dine etc as 2 can sit around it while others use main table in saloon .

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I would not like that chart table design. (even if I could afford it :cry: ) If the chart was a bit big one cannot hang it over the opposite edge to work on the part one needs. So a lump of chart gets bunched up .(Several chart tables have a wall along one edge) No room for a Yeoman for those of us still in the dark ages. I know Baggywrinkle does not use a chart :D but he may like to comment- (nicely :love:) With my height I would not get in that space & the seat is not designed for someone to sit sideways. But it is not my boat & to each his own. The rest looks great though
You're right, I don't use charts as a rule .... but might put one on the dining table so everyone can see it to explain where we are going and what the options are. My plan is to increase the size of the TV on the wall so I can send the navionics display to the TV instead, then we can use the dining table for it's intended purpose - drinks and nibbles.

The Smartphone lens gives a distorted view and the chart table is actually OK for paper charts, but when the chart table is a bit smaller then I fold them up to fit, folded in the right way (accordian style) I can usually safely fold the unused parts out of the way. ... but a Yeoman! :eek: ... weren't they the work of the devil when they first came out? ;)

Most of the time underway is spent following the route and marking position rather than plotting the entire route, so a completely unfolded chart is not often necessary IMO.

To plot current position, even the most hardened ludites often use GPS these days ;), I occassionally do some hand-bearing compass work to keep my hand in and to relieve the boredom, particularly when I want to identify a specific AIS target - I guess the paper equivalent of AIS would be to put little plastic ships on the unfolded chart and re-position them regularly - war-room style :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

For some background, I learned to navigate on the West Coast of Scotland from my father in this in the late 70s/early 80s ...

1722949468237.png

... proper paper only nav with no GPS or electronics other than a Seafarer Echosounder and a Seafarer Seafix RDF (which was pants). I know how to do paper based nav, just choose not to.

The chart table was miniscule, and the charts were stored under the matress in the saloon. :love:

DangerousPirate

Visit site
You're right, I don't use charts as a rule .... but might put one on the dining table so everyone can see it to explain where we are going and what the options are. My plan is to increase the size of the TV on the wall so I can send the navionics display to the TV instead, then we can use the dining table for it's intended purpose - drinks and nibbles.

The Smartphone lens gives a distorted view and the chart table is actually OK for paper charts, but when the chart table is a bit smaller then I fold them up to fit, folded in the right way (accordian style) I can usually safely fold the unused parts out of the way. ... but a Yeoman! :eek: ... weren't they the work of the devil when they first came out? ;)

Most of the time underway is spent following the route and marking position rather than plotting the entire route, so a completely unfolded chart is not often necessary IMO.

To plot current position, even the most hardened ludites often use GPS these days ;), I occassionally do some hand-bearing compass work to keep my hand in and to relieve the boredom, particularly when I want to identify a specific AIS target - I guess the paper equivalent of AIS would be to put little plastic ships on the unfolded chart and re-position them regularly - war-room style :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

For some background, I learned to navigate on the West Coast of Scotland from my father in this in the late 70s/early 80s ...

View attachment 181010

... proper paper only nav with no GPS or electronics other than a Seafarer Echosounder and a Seafarer Seafix RDF (which was pants). I know how to do paper based nav, just choose not to.

The chart table was miniscule, and the charts were stored under the matress in the saloon. :love:
I think the war room style paper charts with the little boats on is quite romantic. Haha

johnalison

Visit site
I think the war room style paper charts with the little boats on is quite romantic. Haha
We once looked at a Victoria 34 in the London Boat Show. The boat on show was the army version with little in the way of comforts but lots of hooks to hang oilies on, and a magnificent chart table facing across the saloon that would take a full Admiralty chart unfolded.

Metalicmike

Visit site
Mine is a pain in the arse, I use it frequently with my laptop and as a work table, soldering ect. Trouble is I have a lot of storage under the table, documents manuals repair kits ect ect ect. So I am always moving the crap off the top to access the crap below. I would never get rid of it.