Are chart tables a waste of space?

Are chart tables a waste of space or still relevant and useful?

• Waste of Space

• Necessary Space

• Can't live without it

Results are only viewable after voting.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
And where else could you stow a pack of cigarettes without risk of them getting wet, stepped on, or simply disappearing into the void.
In the drawers immediately beneath the table. On our boat, top drawer is kitchen implements and working fags; middle drawer, batteries and emergency fags; bottom drawer, chargers and secret fags.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I converted mine into a sort of work area, with small parts storage in flat complemented bins and such. Also some small tools, but it is kept neat. Very handy, since builders seem to assume you don't need a work area. I still store some backup paper charts there, but I usually look at them in the salon (they are for planning not navigating).

wonkywinch

Visit site
Although my boat has a chart table, it's a WPB cruiser so not big enough for proper nav work. On passage, I use the main dining table in the saloon but since it doesn't have fiddles, I made a pair of thin bungee cords with hooks that I use around the table top to hold the chart, logbook and pen/pencil in place whilst the boat is heeled.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Was just wondering if anyone actually plots charts on that table?

From my own experience and pretty much everyone I know; It's chart plotters, phones, tablets and what not, and maybe a back-up paper chart in the cockpit as quick reference back up, but who actually sits down below and plots on paper any more? I don't know anyone personally. Nowadays, it's all digital. Welcome to the 21st century.

But these tables take up a lot of space on small boats, and if I really need to, I can use my normal saloon table to work on a paper chart and don't need a dedicated big full table for that. It can make a big difference. Extra settee space, more storage etc.

I saw a thread from 2007 and even then it was controversial, but 2007 has been a while ago, and I wonder how the mood has shifted since then. I will include a poll.
Chart tables are wonderful inventions.

Not only does it give me somewhere to place the chart, a chart is my primary navigation tool, but it gives me a place to sit and thing, a place to write up the log, a space to place food and bottles of beverage when guests arrive for dinner.

I better not ask if you have a sextant onboard.

lustyd

Visit site
I don't tend to plot on paper there, but as a desk it's useful. I pointed this out to pretty much every sailboat vendor at Southampton a few years ago when they'd all been removed for more living space. They all said it was unnecessary, I explained I needed to pay for the boat and a working desk would allow me to do that. Amazingly last year at Southampton about 50% of the boats had chart tables again, so perhaps they do listen to feedback.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I don't tend to plot on paper there, but as a desk it's useful. I pointed this out to pretty much every sailboat vendor at Southampton a few years ago when they'd all been removed for more living space. They all said it was unnecessary, I explained I needed to pay for the boat and a working desk would allow me to do that. Amazingly last year at Southampton about 50% of the boats had chart tables again, so perhaps they do listen to feedback.
I never sit on my chart table to work with my laptop. Normally on the saloon table or the laptop in my, well, lap. So I don't really see it necessary especially on smaller boats. Big boats got room either way, but some 30 ft or less boats really could do with some extra space where the table's are.

Thresher

Visit site
I never sit on my chart table to work with my laptop. Normally on the saloon table or the laptop in my, well, lap. So I don't really see it necessary especially on smaller boats. Big boats got room either way, but some 30 ft or less boats really could do with some extra space where the table's are.
Agree with that. The drop down chart table on my 27 foot boat was a major feature for me when I bought the boat and I've never used it in 20 years, I haven't used charts for the last 5. The boat has a table with fiddles that drops down to make a double bed, previously described by another poster. Ample space if you are single handed.

DownWest

Visit site
I like chart tables, but my mini cruiser does not have room, so the Yeoman will be on a movable table that clips/hinges over a berth. Depth sounder hinged to be visible from the cockpit. (It is small..) And, I actually do have a sextant, but decoration now:) Might leave it on the rack to impress..

steveeasy

Visit site
Ive never sat on mine, prefer the cushion thing!!. Nothing better than a nice soft cushion and chart table to sit at while your calling the odd May Day. :sneaky: No ive not but ive contemplated it a few times.
Steveeasy