Aqua-Star Watch this Space Diary

glenndraper

Visit site
Yep sorry peeps - of course I meant the Marlow! NOT the Flemming.
I just think that one should keep your options open until the deal is signed -Anyhow Jill and I are going to find time to drift on over to the States for a sea trial in the not to distant future - I must say that with the dollar in the poo poo it does make it atractive. I'm afraid the cat is out as we are very restricted on beam in the Med.

DougH

Visit site
Glenn,

If you think Aqua Star is being foolish by arguing over £10000.00 on an £1.4 million order maybe you should also consider if 10 grand could be a very cheap insurance by buying from a UK manufacturer.

Aqua Star have fabulous reputation and their boats hold high residule values seconhand (If you can find one)

Marlow may be fine boats (I have never seen one) but remember you are dealing with the USA which is a long way away.

Geoff Wilson at Aqua Star is an honest man who builds honest boats and unfortunatly this costs money.

Plus remember that Aqua Star will be able to build the boat to your exact specification. Try that with Marlow.

This Forum has a love of none UK boats and I will stick my neck out and say that the prime UK manufacturers Aqua Star, Princess, Fairline , Sun Seeker etc build boats that are at least equal and mostly better than anything available in the rest of the world.

British people are to ready to overlook the British product.

Before anyone mentions that I previously showed my love of the Horizon 20M (SD boat) I should admit that it was me and my wife that attended the sea trail of the 65 and was so impressed that I will be going back to Guernsey in July/August to see the new 57 before I make my mind up.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
In fairness 20M
Aquastars have a terrible depreciation in the market - I know of sellers who lost a fortune.
Marlow can bespoke a boat just as much if not more than Aquastar because there are no fixed bulkheads.
Marlow's are very difficult to find used- they all get snapped up.
Marlows keep their value very well indeed.

Apart from aquastar the choice of SD large boats is zero.

I like Aquastar - it is a good company (and geoff is a good man) with a fair reputation but compared to a Marlow they are decades behind and nowhere near the quality or performance.

I would much prefer to deal with a UK make but there is hardly any choice in large SD boats.

glenndraper

Visit site
Hi Doug, Nice to hear from you - I dont think I said anything derogatory about Aqua-Star and in fact as you know we are extremely impressed with Aqua-Stars whole set up - I am also an admirer of Geoff (the MD of Aqua-Star) NO all I said was - at the moment the states are VERY competitive with the dollar at the moment and although i honestly think that to better the Aqua-Star 65 would be highly unlikely the Marlow is a fine boat and it is considerably less costly than the Aqua-Star. We shall see - Watch this space

Bajansailor

Visit site
Well said 20m.
10k is only 0.7%of the purchase price.
Even if the difference involved was 100k, that would be 7% - and what price is 0.7% (or even 7%) when all the advantages listed by 20m above are so obviously apparent?

Remember that the Boatyard has to allow a suitable margin for just about any unforeseen circumstance that can happen along while the boat is under construction, including the cost of materials going up.

It sounds like they have already given Glenn a significant discount, and they have now got to the stage where they just cannot afford the risk of commiting themselves to such a complex project with the only too real risk of sudden increases in material and equipment costs, when their theoretical profit margin has probably been severely slashed.

If I was in Glenn's shoes, the advantages of having the Builder's yard almost on my doorstep would be more than worth the extra 0.7% (or even 7%).

DougH

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gludy, you forgot Trader! (Sorry just could not stop myself)

jimg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a sweeping statement! What do you mean exactly as there are many SD boats around?

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Yes a fair few from the rest of the world.

Grand banks, Fleming etc almost all made in the far east (nothing wrong with that) plus many unkown in the UK USA makes.

My point was in response to buying from home producers and there is no real choice.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I notice Skagen is launching a 65, although its always a bit risky to be the first with a new model, and I don't know much about the company but the 50 is a very nice looking boat.

Agree with you on depreciation for the bigger Aquastars, they seem to take a 30% hit in the first couple of years, ouch!

I can't see how you can be so authoratitive about the quality, service, market for Marlow's? I seem to remember you making similar comments about Trader when you ordered it, I think you can only speak with such certainty after you've bought it and owned it for a while.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
You are right - I can only speak with authority from first hand experience which I do not have by owning a Marlow.

What I can do is give an opinion based upon the experience of others and all my observations to date.

I would like to go into more detail about my mistakes in judgement from the past but I cannot do that other than to admit that I have made mistales in judgement.

Having been there - I am taking incredible care about my next choice of boat.

We all have to form opinions and judgements based on all the available information and that is what I am doing. I go on trips to to visit Marlow owners, I take sea trials, I talk to owners on the phone etc - I never have done anything like that for any previous purchase.

As regards the technology of Marlow, as regards the flexibility of design to suit an individual etc - they are all facts.

Also in order to buy any boat you have never beought before all you can do is base judgements on all the facts and opinions around you - that must always be the case - the rest is called hindsight.

fracman

Visit site
Glenn,
Hope you and Jill are well, shall be in Duquesa Thursday, you going to be around ??
Cheers

Ken & Wend " Karishawk"