Another boating day, another boating disaster (long rant with a few pics)

• Thread starter Deleted User YDKXO
  • Start date
www.banwell-falconry.co.uk
Crikey Mike what a trip. On the positive side you surely must've
had all this season's bad luck in those few days.

The damage the kids did was in some ways the worst of all. If my kids did that on my boat I'd be furious, and if they did that to somebody else's I'd a) be embarrassed beyond belief b) ground them for a month and remove all Nintendo privileges (Wii and DSi) for at least as long for which they would hate me every day and c) make them tidy their rooms every single day.... which they would also hate.

You forgot D, clean barnies off bottom of his boat with their tooth brush..

FalconSteve

Visit site
It would of taken maybe 2 of those on your list to make me moor the boat and just bugger off home. I sympathise with you and admire you patience. As others have said, the damaged panels would have sent me over the edge. Thanks for sharing, it was a great read and it has taught me that if a long list of disasters were to befall me on my boat, I know I'm not alone.

ACE

Visit site
Deleted User, I enjoyed your post and greatly admire your controlled patience :) as has already been said it would have only taken a few of these things and I'd have been off to the nearest hotel with pool..... :)

squadron

Visit site
i feel for you mike , as a parent with two young kids, 3 and 1 years old ,i am almost immune to the daily detruction of valuable objects and electronics , otherwise the stress would just give me a massive heart attack. i do wonder what damage they will inflict on any future boat i buy though . i guess as they are family you will just grit your teeth repair the damage and say nowt, but maybe you can look for something a bit more durable to replace the damaged wall coverings, otherwise it will defo happen again next time the little darlings grace you with their presence .

david

gjgm

Visit site
Thanks for sharing.
Positives:
-it wasnt a longer trip ;)
-no torn off P brackets, exploding engines,sinkings
All in all, time for Eric Idle ?

Scubadoo

Visit site
A great post and I feel for you. You can deal with most things, but kids damaging your interior like that, would have put me over the edge.

I just hope your next cruise won't be so demanding!

I learnt one thing, I won't moan about boating troubles.

Groot T

Visit site
Mike, I feel your pain, but not in the same way you experienced it.
My stomach muscles are hurting too much from laughing (loudly) across the office. As such, I am mapping that pain to your continued plight.

Out of curiosity, was the fish given a formal funeral or is it just symbolic of your feelings towards the children? "Dead and thrown overboard" ?

Crikey Mike what a trip. On the positive side you surely must've
had all this season's bad luck in those few days.

The damage the kids did was in some ways the worst of all. If my kids did that on my boat I'd be furious, and if they did that to somebody else's I'd a) be embarrassed beyond belief b) ground them for a month and remove all Nintendo privileges (Wii and DSi) for at least as long for which they would hate me every day and c) make them tidy their rooms every single day.... which they would also hate.

Points a) and b) I can fully understand.
But point c) " make them tidy their rooms every single day..". You're a monster!

Croak

www.yotblog.com
I knew a small child who did things like that and perhaps I did them myself.

When questioning him he seemed sort or unaware that he had done it, sort of did it in a daydream, he has grown out of it now and so have I (if I ever did it)

There is another sort of destruction I have noticed, when kids leave a house after staying for a few days/hours. I put it down to an instinctive behaviour. When leaving a site of temporary habitation it would be a good idea to trash anything you could not carry so your enemy or competitor could not use it to their advantage. I noticed things always got broken just after someone said we will be leaving in X minuets.

So I put all the toys away apart from the broken ones before the leaving sentence happens and let their instincts roll.

Any senseless destruction is bad on the recipient so I feel for you.

DAKA

Visit site
Great post Mike :)
Sorry its not all great fun but on the bright side I reckon you have just got through 3 years worth of bad luck in one week so you can look forward to 3 clear years now :)

Just a thought as a temporary fix to cabin lining ........

Mirror can be fixed on with silicone, either get a glazier to cut to size and bevel edge or just cut some sticky to cover the mess until you can get it repaired.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-1m-Sil...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ebd078b94

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Great post Mike :)
Sorry its not all great fun but on the bright side I reckon you have just got through 3 years worth of bad luck in one week so you can look forward to 3 clear years now :)

Just a thought as a temporary fix to cabin lining ........

Mirror can be fixed on with silicone, either get a glazier to cut to size and bevel edge or just cut some sticky to cover the mess until you can get it repaired.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-1m-Sil...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ebd078b94

Yep, you never know, your guests might appreciate a giant full-length mirror right next to the bed...

Cheers
Jimmy

DAKA

Visit site
Yep, you never know, your guests might appreciate a giant full-length mirror right next to the bed...

Cheers
Jimmy

Do you have to turn everything to smuttyness :D

Along with the dodgy icecream tranny photo you are making lakesailor look like an angel ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted User YDKXO

Cheers
Jimmy
I'll put one on the ceiling as well for any guests who fancy Miss Cornetto licking their flake:)

mbird

Visit site
And I thought it was only me had that sort of luck! Having had to spend £4k on an engine rebuild earlier this year, and then another £2.5k a few weeks ago when our Mathers throttle controls went belly up, we've just returned from a fortnight of trouble-free boating. Just proves it can eventually go smoothly!

DAKA

Visit site
And I thought it was only me had that sort of luck! Having had to spend £4k on an engine rebuild earlier this year, and then another £2.5k a few weeks ago when our Mathers throttle controls went belly up, we've just returned from a fortnight of trouble-free boating. Just proves it can eventually go smoothly!

Sorry to hear you have had problems.
Ive just recognised your boat :)
I cruised miles on her and with her
Jersey, Guernsey, France, and back to The Humber area where she was based for several years.

Seldom had a problem, one fan belt snapped but engine kept going (no rev counter), one year needed to keep topping up header but fantastic boat very very reliable.

I nearly bought her but chose a Princess 360 instead but a close call.